Options

How valuable is the Sec+ cert?

tink334tink334 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wondering what jobs would be in the future with this cert. thanks

Comments

• Options
    incry6tincry6t Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lots of government jobs require it. security+ is an entry level cert i'm sure you already know. it tells people that you know the basic of information security. i wouldn't say it's necessary to have, but it's good to have.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Depends on your goals. Is Security+ enough to get a job in Information Assurance, or Security? Well, id say you would be VERY lucky and must have to know somebody if you know what I mean.

Security+ does meet part of the requirements for DoDD 8570 IAT II, and IAM I

Most private industries wont put much on security+ from what I saw. In fact the only time anyone ever cared about Security+ was when I interviewed for job working with DoD.

I think its because most private industries look at Security as an extra cost and a discretionary cost at that....so they don't deploy an IDS/IPS, change management, etc, but this is just what I saw from interviewing with several private companies.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    ibcritn wrote: »
    Depends on your goals. Is Security+ enough to get a job in Information Assurance, or Security? Well, id say you would be VERY lucky and must have to know somebody if you know what I mean.

Security+ does meet part of the requirements for DoDD 8570 IAT II, and IAM I

Most private industries wont put much on security+ from what I saw. In fact the only time anyone ever cared about Security+ was when I interviewed for job working with DoD.

I think its because most private industries look at Security as an extra cost and a discretionary cost at that....so they don't deploy an IDS/IPS, change management, etc, but this is just what I saw from interviewing with several private companies.

While it is an entry level Security cert, it's definitely beneficial, for any network/system admin to have. I've been a network/sys admin for over 10 years and just passed the sec + yesterday. Studying for it helped me "connect the dots" so to speak on a lot of technologies and topics that I was familiar with but didn't have perfect understanding of.

Govt IA jobs (and for govt contractors) require Sec+. It's a great starting point. Obviously, just passing the test is one thing. Absorbing and learning the material is what I'm saying is most beneficial. The cert itself is just a nice little cherry on top.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!