Options

J2300 vs J2320 JNCIE-ER

csnowcsnow Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am still in the process of building a lab for the JNCIE-ER. I am very new to JUNOS so please don’t flame me. I know that the j2300 can only run 8.5 whereas the j2320 can run the latest and greatest code. I have a limited budget to build this lab, so I wanted to realistically know if I can add some j2300's into a mix of j2320's.

What critical features will I not be able to configure on the j2300 vs the j2320? I have a budget to get 5 2320's and then I was going to get 5 2300's. Is this a workable plan or are the 2300's for the most part useless now? I will also buy 3 T1 cards for the 2320's and connect them to a Cisco 2811 with mulitflex cards for frame-relay scenerios.

I also have 2 ex4200 switches. Not sure how much use these will add other than interconnectivity without the upgraded BGP license? I can always use a Cisco 3750 for vlan connectivity if these ex4200's can be used as routers.

Thanks....

Chris

Comments

• Options
    hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    If its for ER.. that should work... But if you want to make some long term investment.. because the ENT exam is going to be on >10.0 Code and you would probably require 2320...Also JNCIE-SEC if released would also be on >10.0 code... I would actually say 7-8 2320.. and then the rest as 2300 which would be supporting routers.
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply....I really appreciate it.

Wow, 8 2320's is going to be Expen$ive. I will have to start with five and then add as a I go.

I can get the SRX100's pretty cheap ($500). How would these integrate into the mix? Can I use some of these in place of a 2320? When will Juniper move to 10.x in the lab?
  • Options
    Yep that should work... plus.. you can always turn them to run as a router with the mode packet based...So you don't have to worry about the flow based code... I think 10.X is imminent.. The JNCIE-ENT is going to be out soon, and the courses supporting these exams have been released and all have 10.X code...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Options
    hoogen82 wrote: »
    Yep that should work... plus.. you can always turn them to run as a router with the mode packet based...So you don't have to worry about the flow based code... I think 10.X is imminent.. The JNCIE-ENT is going to be out soon, and the courses supporting these exams have been released and all have 10.X code...

Thanks hoogen.

I guess I will be sitting the JNCIE-ENT track. It will be at least 6-8 months before I am ready and by then the ER track will be history. I will go ahead and get a mix of SRX100, SRX210, and J2320s. Any idea how many switches the EX track will have? I only have 2 ex4200's so I hope that is enough.
  • Options
    Just get another opinion from Aldur... the Juniper mod here.. 2 Ex4200 should more than do it... Also a post @ jnet forums could help. These days I see a lot of activity from the Cert team posting/answering questions there.
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.