First Interview Monday and i am super nervous

edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Got a helpdesk interview on Monday for a store called Paragon Sports, but im nervous icon_sad.gif why? I don't have much experience in what they're asking for.

Here is the listing
We are looking to fill a Part time helpdesk technician position. Must have knowledge of all windows operating systems and office products.
Some responsibilities include troubleshooting hardware/software issues, fixing fax machines, copiers and asset management.
Must be able to work weekends and until 8pm.
This is an entry level position.
I'm not that great with microsoft office. I know my way around word and powerpoint, but excel, outlook, access, groove etc i'm not too familiar with. Neither am i familiar with fixing fax machines and copiers.

I went back to my A+ book to refresh myself on printer technologies and i'm reading this office for dummies book.

Any pointers? Thanks
«1

Comments

  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483
    edzy wrote: »
    Got a helpdesk interview on Monday for a store called Paragon Sports, but im nervous icon_sad.gif why? I don't have much experience in what they're asking for.

    Here is the listing

    I'm not that great with microsoft office. I know my way around word and powerpoint, but excel, outlook, access, groove etc i'm not too familiar with. Neither am i familiar with fixing fax machines and copiers.

    I went back to my A+ book to refresh myself on printer technologies and i'm reading this office for dummies book.

    Any pointers? Thanks

    I wouldn't worry about the office applications internally. I would be more concerned on how to troubleshoot them if they aren't working properly. Like associating files with the proper program those types of things.

    I think it's a good idea you are reading your A+ book. Don't over think it and don't over analyze. You will be fine.
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick reply. So basically just learn what extensions work with each specific program? among other things..
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483
    edzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply. So basically just learn what extensions work with each specific program? among other things..


    I'll give you my top 5

    1. Know the difference between a systemboard issue and a hard drive issue.
    2. How to troubleshoot network issue. Basic commands ipconfig /all renew and release those types of things.
    3. Might not hurt to know the OSI model.
    4. Think smarter not harder. If a network printer is not printing what to do. Check the spooler, run a test page, ping the printer, can a laptop gain connectivity at the drop. Stuff like that.
    5. Your plans on where you want to be in 5 years. I would keep it help desk related but maybe say like you want to be in tier 2 increasing your skills. I don't think you want to come off over zealous.

    And just be relaxed and nice. Show a peppy personality and let them know you are not afraid to work.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Some things you just have to learn on the job, no matter your background or experience. Maybe even through some trial and error. I found its best to keep notes/word docs on things you encounter, because you might not see it again until months from now...and you'll be glad you made those notes on it. There's always funky things that happen once a blue moon...and it can be hard to remember how you fixed. Screenshots are your friend.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edzy!

    I believe you will do great, because you have to believe you will do great, and believing you already have the job is everything.

    - Make sure to shake all of their hands with a smile and say, "Nice to meet you." Trying to act like it's your first day on the job and not in an interview. Make sure you shake on the way in and the way out from your interview. On the way out say, "Thank you for your time."

    - Make sure you always act professional, yet with a personality and a smile, while answering their questions promptly and with confidence, even if you are just BS'ing your way through the question. Always answer with something. Even if you do not know, let them know that you are more than willing to study it, research it, and figure it out. They want to know that you can answer questions and work under stress.

    - Also note, that usually job postings list more than what you will actually be doing and require more than what is actually needed.

    - Make sure you research the company that you are going into the interview for and come up with questions to ask them that are not already stated in the interview. What is a day on the job like?, What are you looking for in an employee?, Will I have a chance to advance in this career?, etc...

    The main important factor of an interview, is you have to be confident that you already have the position.

    Like Chris Bryant (I'm working on my CCNA) says (I'm going to mess this up. :-p), "You are not going in to take a test to see if you pass or not, you are walking in to pick up your certificate." Something like that...

    Basically, you have to know in your mind that you already have the job and go in with the confidence that they just want to meet you in person.

    I wish you the best!
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much guys icon_lol.gif

    If they ask about pay, what should i range for? i was thinking 9-12hr
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    edzy wrote: »
    Thanks so much guys icon_lol.gif

    If they ask about pay, what should i range for? i was thinking 9-12hr
    sounds reasonable. i know paragon. my gf lives around the corner from there.
    its not no enterprise im guessing so there really wont be an "IT department". maybe just some dudes chillin and a manager.
    just make sure you sell yourself. but not too much as they are just a sports store with one location taking up half a city block.

    /gluck
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    As someone who just had their first interview with little to no experience and got the job... I have to agree with a lot of IRONMONKUS....

    wear a suit, print up recent copies of your resume on resume paper, be respectful but not timid... shake hands, make eye contact, and ask lots of questions...

    sometimes I don't like staring people in the eyes, it feels like we're in a staring contest.... so I stare at their nose or their lips... works for me...

    but yeah, i feel personality was a major factor for me in my interview.... carry yourself like a professional


    good luck!
    Currently Working On

    CWTS, then WireShark
  • megbotmegbot Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The interviews I've been on tend to be more about perceptions of you as a person than your technical skill. That being said, the suit and eye contact and all are good suggestions.

    You should check out this website too. I find it to be very helpful: Ask a Manager ?
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone

    Unfortunately, i have some bad news. I got an email a little while ago from the manager telling me the position has been filled ..but they want me to come in anyway..don't know why..

    I got the email from them yesterday about the position..no idea how they filled it in so fast. Whatever i guess
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    if the position has been filled, but they still want you to come in, I would assume they have another position available....
    Currently Working On

    CWTS, then WireShark
  • IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edzy wrote: »
    ..but they want me to come in anyway..don't know why..

    Go for it!

    So, the job you put in for is filled. Maybe they just had another one open up, but haven't posted it yet.

    Sounds like a great way for you to present yourself, let them know that you are still interested in working for their company, and hopefully this will lead to future employment. So, get your foot in the door now while you still can. They might also be making a list of candidates for jobs that do open of people they like. Then when one opens up, they call you... icon_cheers.gif
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the advice

    Interview is tomorrow

    can't wait :)
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interview went GREAT

    I surprisingly spoke to a young lady. It was cool speaking technical jargon with a young female.

    Pay is 14/ hr and it's 35 hrs a week.

    I should know within a week if i have it or not.

    Thanks to everyone for the advice..it helped A LOT

    Should i email a thank you note?
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    edzy wrote: »
    Interview went GREAT

    I surprisingly spoke to a young lady. It was cool speaking technical jargon with a young female.

    Pay is 14/ hr and it's 35 hrs a week.

    I should know within a week if i have it or not.

    Thanks to everyone for the advice..it helped A LOT

    Should i email a thank you note?

    sweet deal man.

    and the chris bryant quote is more along passing your certification tests.
    go in saying..."I'm already certified, im just here to make it official"... or something like tha haha
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I know you went on the interview already but here's my advice. The hardware issues they will probably train you on or have documentation.
    I wouldn't worry about their expectations about knowing MS Office however if you plan on getting a help desk job I would seriously spend some time learning it for two main reasons.

    1) From my own experience very few help desk people have beyond basic knowledge of Office apps especially Excel, Access, Visio and Project. This will make you stick out.

    2) Nothing sucks worse then getting stuck on a call dealing with an Office App issue that you and your colleagues don't know.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    definitely send a formal thank you letter, google samples
    Currently Working On

    CWTS, then WireShark
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How is this?

    I would like to thank you for the Job interview and the time we spent speaking about the job position at Paragon today. I hope this small interaction may later translate into a fruitful professional relationship. I look forward to hearing from you regarding your hiring decision.

    Make it longer? shorter?
  • pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would send a formal thank you letter even if sending it through email.

    Google
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    edzy wrote: »
    How is this?

    I would like to thank you for the Job interview and the time we spent speaking about the job position at Paragon today. I hope this small interaction may later translate into a fruitful professional relationship. I look forward to hearing from you regarding your hiring decision.

    Make it longer? shorter?


    i would say much longer, and do it as a Word document and attach it to the e-mail
    Currently Working On

    CWTS, then WireShark
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i would say much longer, and do it as a Word document and attach it to the e-mail

    Cool..

    It's been 2 days and anxiety is starting to kick in icon_redface.gif
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i thought mine was gone for, and then they called me with an offer, so keep hope alive yo
    Currently Working On

    CWTS, then WireShark
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i thought mine was gone for, and then they called me with an offer, so keep hope alive yo

    I am...somewhat :D It's officially been a week since the interview.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    edzy wrote: »
    I am...somewhat :D It's officially been a week since the interview.

    Give it a few days and check with them. Try not to sound desperate or pushy. Sometimes letting them know that you are that interested, shows them your commitment.

    Otherwise, keep looking around for other jobs. You have some interview experience now.

    Good Luck.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Don't let the fact that they are not responding to you right away scare you into thinking you didn't get the job. Some companies just take a while to get everything together. On the other hand, make no assumptions and keep eyeing other positions until a solid offer is in hand.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    On the thank you letter, make it three paragraphs.

    One - thanking them for the time out of their busy day to do the interview.

    Two - Reiterate your qualifications for the position you discussed

    Three - Thanking them again, and be sure to ask for the job, etc. Be willing to provide extra info if they wish it (references, letters of recommendations, copy of transcripts, etc).

    So ...

    Dear Ms So-And-So,
    Thank you for taking time out of your busy day on (blank) to sit down and discuss with me the open position you have for (blank) at (blank)

    As we discussed in the interview, I believe my qualifications (education, certs, jobs, etc) are a great fit for this opening.

    I sincerely wish this position and to being an active member of the (blank) team. If there is any other information you may need from me, please do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to hearing from you and will follow up with you next week.

    Your Signiture

    Something simple like that should do the job.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Lots of good advice in here but I couldn't help but notice several people suggested to wear a suit to the interview.

    Maybe it's just me, but I always feel like it'd be kind of odd to wear a suit to an interview for a 10-12/hr job. I've gone to all my interview in dress pants, shirt, and tie.
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    On the thank you letter, make it three paragraphs.

    One - thanking them for the time out of their busy day to do the interview.

    Two - Reiterate your qualifications for the position you discussed

    Three - Thanking them again, and be sure to ask for the job, etc. Be willing to provide extra info if they wish it (references, letters of recommendations, copy of transcripts, etc).

    So ...

    Dear Ms So-And-So,
    Thank you for taking time out of your busy day on (blank) to sit down and discuss with me the open position you have for (blank) at (blank)

    As we discussed in the interview, I believe my qualifications (education, certs, jobs, etc) are a great fit for this opening.

    I sincerely wish this position and to being an active member of the (blank) team. If there is any other information you may need from me, please do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to hearing from you and will follow up with you next week.

    Your Signiture

    Something simple like that should do the job.

    Good info...I sent the thank you letter before your post..but i did send about 2 paragraphs.

    It's going on almost 2 weeks & i've lost hope in this job. She did say she would call regardless if i got the position or not.. Oh well, on to the next one.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I see no reason why not give them a call, get your name in front of them again in case the position is still open.
  • edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I see no reason why not give them a call, get your name in front of them again in case the position is still open.

    I'll try this.

    Should i call and ask for the person who interviewed me or ask if the position has been filled yet?
Sign In or Register to comment.