Options

A few very basic questions...

Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
I just want to make sure I have a complete understanding of a few things..

Synchronous vs Asynchronous...
Synchronous basically means that the DCE tells the DTE what speed to run on and the link does its best to run at that speed, but it can notice slight variations in the speed.

Asynchronous means that both sides agree to the same speed, but there is no check of the rates if they are slightly different.

This seems redundant to me. But when talking about DSL, Asynchronous means that your up speed is slower than your down speed.

I guess I just need a little clarity on this.

Am I correct in saying that "subnet broadcast address" and "network broadcast address" basically mean the same thing other than the fact that "subnet broadcast address" is the broadcast address of a classless network as opposed to a classfull network?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    Synchronous vs Asynchronous...
    Synchronous basically means that the DCE tells the DTE what speed to run on and the link does its best to run at that speed, but it can notice slight variations in the speed.
    Synchronous = There is a clock line which is generated by the DCE. The DTE know where each data bit is because it can look at the clock.
    Asynchronous = No clock line. The DTE just works it out from the data received. There will be start and stop bits to get the receiver ready.
    But when talking about DSL, Asynchronous means that your up speed is slower than your down speed.
    The A for ADSL is Asymmetric not Asynchronous.
    Am I correct in saying that "subnet broadcast address" and "network broadcast address" basically mean the same thing other than the fact that "subnet broadcast address" is the broadcast address of a classless network as opposed to a classfull network?
    If you're asking what I think you're asking then they're the same. Bed calls anyway so somebody else can correct me if I'm not thinking straight.
  • Options
    Wow.... I guess I need to read the long "A" words more carefully :-\

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    So because PPP is sync/async, if you don't have a clock rate command on the dce interface, will it still work?