Options

Sybex CCNA deluxe revision 5 vs. normal revision 6

gui4lifegui4life Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking at the Sybex ccna book. I noticed they have a deluxe edition that has more quiz questions and stuff. But the revision is verison five. the normal verison is revision six. Are these two books the same content?

Also, is the cisco ccna book easyer to read?

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I have Cisco Press' ICND1 book by wendell odem and have found it a pretty easy read, although I have seen time after time on these forums that the sybex book is easier to read. As far as the revisions of the sybex book go, I have not a clue.
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    gui4life wrote: »
    I am looking at the Sybex ccna book. I noticed they have a deluxe edition that has more quiz questions and stuff. But the revision is verison five. the normal verison is revision six. Are these two books the same content?

Also, is the cisco ccna book easyer to read?

Kevin

The revisions have to do with changes in Cisco's exam scope ... information no longer tested on is not included in the newer revisions. Generally speaking, you want to stick with the latest revision ... Cisco Press, Sybex, etc.

Although knowledge about ISDN, as an example, is great to have, it is no longer tested at the CCNA level (not sure about the Professional/Expert levels). Studying outdated material, with regard to exam scope, leads to confusion when you actually take the current exam. This is one of the reason we see so many topics where people are looking for the newer study materials when Cisco (or any other certification authority) announces a new version of the exam!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    According to the Sybex site, the 5th edition of the Deluxe is the most recent. You should be good to go with that book.

And as far as which book is easier to read, it's really a subjective thing. Some prefer Todd Lammle, some prefer Wendell Odom. Google books has a preview of them both, so you can see who's writing style you prefer.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    According to the Sybex site, the 5th edition of the Deluxe is the most recent. You should be good to go with that book.

And as far as which book is easier to read, it's really a subjective thing. Some prefer Todd Lammle, some prefer Wendell Odom. Google books has a preview of them both, so you can see who's writing style you prefer.

Yet the 6th Edition of TL's book IS the most recent edition of the study material. This makes the additional material included in the 5th Edition Deluxe Outdated because the additional material is based on the 5th Edition TEXT!

EDIT:

Regarding whether one is easier to read than the other. I think that is a matter of personal opinion. I know I began with the Cisco Press material and then bought the Sybex 6th Edition. I found TL's test/style less dry than the CP material. Once I finished TL's book, I went back to the CP books and found the concepts easier to comprehend and having both has been very benefitual in my personal studies.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yet the 6th Edition of TL's book IS the most recent edition of the study material. This makes the additional material included in the 5th Edition Deluxe Outdated because the additional material is based on the 5th Edition TEXT!

The standard 5th edition is based on the 640-801 and the deluxe 5th edition is based on the 640-802. That alone tells me that they are completely unrelated. The deluxe 5th editon also has the same publication date as the standard 6th editon. Maybe the first edition didn't have a corresponding deluxe editon and the edition numbers are just out of sync?

I would say that it is far from outdated.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The standard 5th edition is based on the 640-801 and the deluxe 5th edition is based on the 640-802. That alone tells me that they are completely unrelated. The deluxe 5th editon also has the same publication date as the standard 6th editon. Maybe the first edition didn't have a corresponding deluxe editon and the edition numbers are just out of sync?

I would say that it is far from outdated.

What you say may in fact be true. One way to know for sure is for the OP or anyone else interested to go to Todd's site and ask him the questions concerning the differences in teh Revisions.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • Options
    gui4lifegui4life Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Without going to that extent, does anyone here know?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    gui4life wrote: »
    Without going to that extent, does anyone here know?
    The ISBN difference is one digit -- and 8 vs a 9.

Both are the same number of pages and both are published September 2007.

One is hard cover and has twice the practice tests and flashcards of the paperback version -- and a bonus CD that includes "Platinum Version of CCNA Virtual Lab" for an extra $50 bucks.

Cisco CCNA: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, Deluxe, 5th Edition - Book Information - Sybex

Cisco CCNA: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition - Book Information - Sybex
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!