Funny Microsoft Video on the Values of Certification...

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Microsoft Showcase: IT Interview Gone Wrong

Apparently, if I'm not certified in Microsoft, I can't intelligently explain DNS and how it relates to Active Directory among other things.... icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Comments

• AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Microsoft Showcase: IT Interview Gone Wrong

Apparently, if I'm not certified in Microsoft, I can't intelligently explain DNS and how it relates to Active Directory.... icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

They're probably right. I'm not certified in MS and I definitely can't explain anything intelligently at all.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    They're probably right. I'm not certified in MS and I definitely can't explain anything intelligently at all.

Will you at least wear socks to an interview and not comment on how "hot" the interviewer's daughter is? LOL.

The "ideal" candidate didn't even wear a suit...that's always a big no-no in my book. Even if the company is casual.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I get these candidates all the time! My boss "filtered" about 200 apps down. Then I shot down no less than a dozen people in the last 2 months for a help desk spot.

I got the " I am not a people person" person. A guy talked **** about his former boss. Another dude ripped on Windows and talked about how he was "going to change us to linux".
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Another dude ripped on Windows and talked about how he was "going to change us to linux".

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That really is hilarious.

(And for you penguin lovers, please leave your love for it at the door...this isn't going to turn into an Anti-MS/Anti-Linux thread...it's hilarious because anyone with that kind of audacity that comes into an interview to "change" an organization without knowing the facts of why an organization has the tech it has/uses deserves to get laughed at.)
    Will you at least wear socks to an interview and not comment on how "hot" the interviewer's daughter is? LOL.

The "ideal" candidate didn't even wear a suit...that's always a big no-no in my book. Even if the company is casual.

Of course I will wear socks to an interview. Checking out the bosses daughter though? Can't make any promises on this one.
    I get these candidates all the time! My boss "filtered" about 200 apps down. Then I shot down no less than a dozen people in the last 2 months for a help desk spot.

I got the " I am not a people person" person. A guy talked **** about his former boss. Another dude ripped on Windows and talked about how he was "going to change us to linux".

I wonder if I was any of these filtered apps or shot down interviewees since I'm the area and was looking for a new job at the time LOL.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    why did the MCP not have a tie on?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had an instructor tell me once that 50% of Microsoft's revenue comes from their certification program (do not know if this is true or not). Good example of marketing them though and I find it rather funny that not being an MCP = idiot.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too am an expert in Hotmail.
    Oh, I don't think they saying someone who isn't certified is an idiot or anything. This sort of thing speaks to management. Put yourself in their shoes. You have 10 maybe 20 hours if you are lucky to read resumes, run interviews, send rejections letters and process the hire.

In my company we had 200+ applicants for our service desk. We can't talk to them all, heck we can't even read them all! We overwhelmingly get better results by filtering down by certifications that match the job.

Certs are hard to find believe it or now. Right now we asking for current CCNA and MCITP: Enterprise Support/MCDST. All in all that is asking too much it seems.
    -Daniel
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    sweet, once I get my MCDST i can move to the Bay
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Great video.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    why did the MCP not have a tie on?

Because he wasn't MCITP.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
    Oh, I don't think they saying someone who isn't certified is an idiot or anything. This sort of thing speaks to management. Put yourself in their shoes. You have 10 maybe 20 hours if you are lucky to read resumes, run interviews, send rejections letters and process the hire.

In my company we had 200+ applicants for our service desk. We can't talk to them all, heck we can't even read them all! We overwhelmingly get better results by filtering down by certifications that match the job.

Certs are hard to find believe it or now. Right now we asking for current CCNA and MCITP: Enterprise Support/MCDST. All in all that is asking too much it seems.

A lot of people I know don't think certs are important at all. Most of them are unemployed or in my opinion underemployed.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340

I certainly don't look at resumes as much as you, but wouldn't it be hard to find someone with MCITP and CCNA to do Help Desk, or am I reading this wrong.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□

That is funny icon_lol.gif why would you say in a formal interview that you're not a people person? what are you then?
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    I had an instructor tell me once that 50% of Microsoft's revenue comes from their certification program (do not know if this is true or not). Good example of marketing them though and I find it rather funny that not being an MCP = idiot.

I doubt this, you can't make billions from certifications only can you?
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No he was speaking of their program overall, partnerships, training, classes, academy partnerships, material and so forth.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    ibcritn wrote: »
    I certainly don't look at resumes as much as you, but wouldn't it be hard to find someone with MCITP and CCNA to do Help Desk, or am I reading this wrong.

Nah, you read it right. We're a small (30 person) managed service provider with about 50 steady clients. We are expected to man the phones for help desk work, run projects and deal with high and low level issues. It's pretty crazy.
    -Daniel
    za3bour wrote: »
    I doubt this, you can't make billions from certifications only can you?

You'd be amazed at how many people STILL believe you can?

[Ok, maybe not billions, but if you ever make it to the NYC again, take a subway ride sometime and try to find the number of fake IT schools that promise to get you certified (with no IT experience in your background, mind you) and promise salaries worthy of a mid-high level admin...) icon_rolleyes.gif]

Everytime I see those ads, I can't help but laugh.
    You'd be amazed at how many people STILL believe you can?

[Ok, maybe not billions, but if you ever make it to the NYC again, take a subway ride sometime and try to find the number of fake IT schools that promise to get you certified (with no IT experience in your background, mind you) and promise salaries worthy of a mid-high level admin...) icon_rolleyes.gif]

Everytime I see those ads, I can't help but laugh.

Ah now I see what you mean, I do get ads like this all time, thousands of dollars for a 5 days course WTH?

Well I laugh about them too but i feel bad for those who invest in such things and end up unemployed or kicked out because of poor experience although they have all the certs needed.
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    No he was speaking of their program overall, partnerships, training, classes, academy partnerships, material and so forth.

Ok make sense now, even in a small country like Syria doing MCITP course will cost you 1600$ (the course is for 8 months) course material is not included you have to pay extra for it.

and 1600$ here is a HUGE number here and I've been to one course (70-680) which really didn't teach me a thing so I dropped immediately.