Linux OS

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys,

I am sure some of you use Linux as the main OS.
I am just wondering if you guys have recommendation for Linux OS to use.
There are so many and hard to choose which one is better.

I am looking for something that has really good support for drivers. I am planning to buy a cheap laptop, and install Linux there.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Ubuntu would probably be your best bet if you want something that's pretty easy to setup and configure. That will at least get you started.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say Ubuntu or Mint.

Are you planning on doing anything special/specific/unusual with the laptop?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Another vote for Ubuntu. I suck with Linux and I haven't come across anything I couldn't get working yet. I think the best thing about starting with Ubuntu is the great amount of online info. Google can get you answers on most things.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    As you're new, I'd recommend Ubuntu as well. I personally use RHEL on servers but I wouldn't use that for a workstation.

Avoid distributions such as Gentoo which are for the power user who wants the ability to modify and custom build everything. I'd lump Debian into this category as well although Ubuntu is actually based off Debian but with many changes.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Again Unbuntu suggestion from me.

if you are new to Linux the desktop version is the way to go. If you know windows then it is a very easy learning curve. Once you are hppy with the basic then move in to the CLI as and when you need to.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I am thinking the Redhat, but I am not sure what is the difference between Desktop and Workstation.

About the Ubuntu, I have never figured it out how to install Java.

@Qord,
    I just want to learn Linux little by little.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

This has a ton of info on different Linux distros and can see which ones are popular or not.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

This has a ton of info on different Linux distros and can see which ones are popular or not.
    "Off-topic question, what material did you use to pass Linux+?"

What do you use yourself?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are learning to pass Linux+ Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS and OpenSUSE.

If you are a home user Ubuntu.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I am sure some of you use Linux as the main OS.
    I am just wondering if you guys have recommendation for Linux OS to use.
    There are so many and hard to choose which one is better.

I am looking for something that has really good support for drivers. I am planning to buy a cheap laptop, and install Linux there.
    For a laptop, any distribution that is actively maintained and updated will have almost equivalent hardware support. A simple and relatively good way to estimate hardware support is to check the kernel version, which should be posted on the distribution web site, or easily found with Google; most drivers are included with the kernel, and newer kernels typically have newer and more drivers. So Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or CentOS wouldn't be ideal for a laptop, since they stick with a particular kernel version for a long time, while Fedora or Ubuntu would since they get updated kernels more often.

Adding software is easy with a Linux distribution, you just need to become familiar with the package manager. It is not like Windows where you go to java.com, find the right exe, download and install it. Most, if not all, software you will need (including drivers not included in the kernel) is included in the distribution's package repositories, so the package manager will download packages from the repository and install them.

You can think of the package repository and manager as being similar to the "app store" model for smart phones. On Fedora you just go to System > Administration > Add/Remove Software, then look for the package either by searching or browsing categories (see screenshot). You can add third party repositories, such as RPM Fusion for Fedora or RHEL, to get access to more software.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    That picture is similar to Ubuntu's software center.

The funny thing is, I think by default Ubuntu can't play DVD movies, right?
    What about Fedora?

Can someone explain to me in the easiest way possible the difference between Gnome, KDE, LXDE and Xfce?
    I have heard of Gnome, and I think Ubuntu is using it.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The easiest Linux distro that I have installed and played around with has been Linux MINT.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    "Off-topic question, what material did you use to pass Linux+?"

What do you use yourself?

Would recommend grabbing Virtual Box and then playing with some Linux .iso files, to basically create a lab in order to get your Linux+.

VirtualBox
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That picture is similar to Ubuntu's software center.
    The screenshot is from Fedora which also uses Gnome by default, so it will look similar.
    The funny thing is, I think by default Ubuntu can't play DVD movies, right?
    What about Fedora?
    I don't know about the "default" for either, though I'm sure you can easily install a program that will do it.
    Can someone explain to me in the easiest way possible the difference between Gnome, KDE, LXDE and Xfce?
    I have heard of Gnome, and I think Ubuntu is using it.
    They are different Desktop environments, which provide a GUI for you to use. Ubuntu by default uses Gnome, though there is Kubuntu which uses KDE. Most distributions are very flexible, so for example you can install and use Gnome, KDE, or Xfce on Fedora with no problem.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been using Ubuntu, but after passing my RHCE I found it fitting to switch to Fedora. Ubuntu One was not syncing great for me and I ended up switching that stuff to my Dropbox account which made the transition to Fedora seamless.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I am thinking the Redhat, but I am not sure what is the difference between Desktop and Workstation.

About the Ubuntu, I have never figured it out how to install Java.

@Qord,
    I just want to learn Linux little by little.

Redhat isnt for the first time user, nor is it geared for use on a laptop that is to be used as a PC. Redhat is really more for Servers. That said i will put in another vote for Mint. I'm using it on this machine (this is a machine at the office I use for virus research, security research and personal surfing, being linux it has a much reduced risk for infection surfing to all the sites it goes to), my main laptop at home, and a third machine I use for various tasks. I also have a CentOS server (which is based off of RHEL) running a minecraft server for a small group of friends, but thats another ball of wax.

Stick with Mint, you wont be disappointed. I'm using 8 on this and the laptop, 9 on the machine i use occasionally for various things.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As much as I hate Ubuntu myself - that is the distro with the most driver support I think ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Why doesn't anyone use openSUSE? I have that going in a virtual environment to learn it and I like it. Any linux experts want to chime in?
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am not a Linux expert but I personally do not like OpenSUSE, I prefer RHEL, CentOS and Fedora but they are not the best for someone learning Linux to jump into at home.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    I downloaded the Mint and Ubuntu.
    The mint looks pretty, and it does have some similarities with Windows.

But I might just stay with Ubuntu since most people around the world use it; therefore, I might get a better support or something.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Stick with Mint, you wont be disappointed. I'm using 8 on this and the laptop, 9 on the machine i use occasionally for various things.

U got my vote, but instead of 8 or 9, I'll go for Julia. icon_thumright.gif
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I downloaded the Mint and Ubuntu.
    The mint looks pretty, and it does have some similarities with Windows.

Windows crashes, Mint doesn't.
    krauser wrote: »
    Lol
    I think I am going to like this Linux idea. I know that it will take a while to get use to this. To many command to memorize and stuff. And so far I am happy:)
    I just found myself a network diagram called DIA. And it does have all the Cisco icons.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    HP Has some Linux basics courses. Linux 101 through 401, 4 different courses, they arent horrible for being free. 101 is extremely basic, 201 is where they start getitng into a little CLI and permissions and things a little more, ah... linuxy? I'd recommend them just for an introduction to it all.

Though just using it to do your everyday stuff is a great way to learn it. Eventually youll run into something either you used to do on your windows machine that you arent familiar with doing in linux and youll have to look up how to do... that's how you learn to use it.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    krauser wrote: »
    Windows itself is actually stable. It is third party drivers that are written by an infinite number of monkeys beating on keyboards that cause the vast majority of crashes.

I've personally experienced crashes in Windows and Linux which weren't caused by faulty hardware so it does happen in both but rarely.
    Off-topic question:
    Does anyone know how to add the Wacom Bamboo pen sensitivity on Ubuntu 10.10.?
    The Wacom bamboo works right a way when I plugged in the USB tablet to the USB port (This was done in VirtualBox).
    I installed the drivers using these commands:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:doctormo/wacom-plus
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wacom-dkms

And still no pen sensitivity. Any idea why?
    Studying:
    Reading: