Options

How to move email from hosted to in-house?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
i have an interview wed, the company is basically sick of the runaround you get from alot of these outsourced tech companies and they are looking to move their email from hosted, to inhouse? does the hosting company have any responsibility to backup a company's email and send it if they are being phased out? this is a medical institution, so im sure there would be some HIPAA fallout as well.

Comments

• Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is probably all going to be determined by the SLA (Service level agreement) and or other agreements that were signed at the time they began service with the hosting company.

I would guess that the hosting company is under no obligation to actually perform a mail server migration.
  • Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    This is probably all going to be determined by the SLA (Service level agreement) and or other agreements that were signed at the time they began service with the hosting company.

I would guess that the hosting company is under no obligation to actually perform a mail server migration.

yeah, but it seems odd that a company would lose all their emails, contacts and calendars etc b/c they are unhappy with the service they are receiving. im sure these people aren't the first ones to have this problem. either way, is it possible to get all that on a disk and move it over to an exchange box in house?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If it is hosted exchange then the provider should be able to export those mailboxes to PSTs. If it isn't an exchange environment then you may be on your own.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would think they would have to at least work with you to get the job done. But like someone mentioned above, it depends how your contracts are laid out. Likely your company still owns all the information (and thus is entitled to it) and the hosting company was just being paid to host it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.