Options

Going through the six ICND1 modules on cisco.com...

Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
I've gotten a little bit worried that there are going to be terms that I haven't heard of on the test. I don't remember all of them right off hand, but a few of them are "Dedicated communication links", which i'm assuming are circuit/packet switched links and "LSB", which means least significant bit.

Doing a quick search I have found the answers to these, but it just has me worried that the cisco press ICND book and the CBT nugget videos haven't gotten me as well prepared as I could be.

Should I worry about this?

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    I've gotten a little bit worried that there are going to be terms that I haven't heard of on the test. I don't remember all of them right off hand, but a few of them are "Dedicated communication links", which i'm assuming are circuit/packet switched links and "LSB", which means least significant bit.

Doing a quick search I have found the answers to these, but it just has me worried that the cisco press ICND book and the CBT nugget videos haven't gotten me as well prepared as I could be.

Should I worry about this?

Sure, always think you are never prepared enough. It makes you strive for more knowledge. Find the topic you don't know much about and keep on learning. Search for resources, as questions on these forums, and keep on learning!

But really, the ICND1 book and CBT combo has allowed many people to pass the exams, it was enough for me but I also the the network academy.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    I went to a technical school from 01-02 and I am kicking myself for not getting my ccna back then. I learned a lot, but was just out of high school and had "more important" things to do, heh. I think these questions might just be from an old exam or something, because one of the multiple choice answers on a question is "ISDN is an example of circuit-switched network."
  • Options
    I am reviewing all of the modules right now, and on the first page of the first module, this is one of the questions:

What is the purpose of network interconnections?
    A. to connect separate networks and filter the traffic over those networks so that the data is transmitted through the most efficient route

B. to choose the path over which data is sent to its destination

C. to provide a means for data to travel from one point to another in the network

D. to provide network attachment to the end systems and intelligent switching of the data within the local network

To me, this question is extremely vague with at least 3 of the four answers being, to some extent, correct. Before I give the answer, can ya'll give me what you think is the correct answer?

BTW, are there questions that are this vague on the actual test?
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    My guess at the correct answer is not worth much, you are further along in your studies and I believe you are even more likely to get the right answer than I am because of this icon_wink.gif

However...my master test taking skills lead me to believe that A is the correct answer.

Reason #1 It's the longest answer. (no really, stop laughing...this doesn't always work, but it does help sometimes.)
    Reason #2 The wording of the other possible answers doesn't seem as viable (reading comprehension)
    Reason #3 Sorting through the other answers, option B suggests path selection, which has more to do with routing protocols which is important, but the question being asked is more FUNDAMENTAL than that. I'm against it being option D because D mentions switching...the question asked about network interconnections.

It's a good thing you're studying like a madman if this is an indication of what the actual test questions are like.

Could you post the link to these ICND1 modules? I'm assuming they're free :D
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What is the purpose of network interconnections?
    A. to connect separate networks and filter the traffic over those networks so that the data is transmitted through the most efficient route

B. to choose the path over which data is sent to its destination

C. to provide a means for data to travel from one point to another in the network

D. to provide network attachment to the end systems and intelligent switching of the data within the local network

To me, this question is extremely vague with at least 3 of the four answers being, to some extent, correct. Before I give the answer, can ya'll give me what you think is the correct answer?

BTW, are there questions that are this vague on the actual test?
    Network connections -- why connect networks? So they can talk to each other.

A. The connect separate network parts is plausible -- but the connections don't filter, ACLs (and firewalls) filter. So too broad.

B. Sounds like a routing process...

C. Hum, sounds reasonable.

D. Huh? A local network? What happened to network interconnections?

C. Final Answer.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Yes, as a matter of fact, they are free! Here's the link:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccent/icnd1?tab=practice

There's also some other stuff on there like the binary game and the subnetting game. Both of them are pretty badly written games, but they are kinda cool to check out.

Don't give the answer away if you look at the modules before I put it up here! Anyone else?!?!?!? No Cheating!!!
  • Options
    This is a Cisco Network Academy Course question, right?
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    This is a Cisco Network Academy Course question, right?

No, they're right off of the CCENT "practice" tab on cisco's website. They could be from the academy too though.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'd say C as well. The other answers have addendums or complications that make them a little to specific for such a general question. C is short and to the point, saying that your network connections are basically just a big highway system for traffic to travel on. How that highway is utilized is beyond the scope of the question.
  • Options
    Mike & Forsaken, there is a reason that you guys have so many things that start with "CC" under your names. You're right, the answer was C and I put A. After reading your responses though, I don't feel that it was near as vague as I did to start with. Thanks!

PS - there could be more coming on this thread! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Just remember to read the question.

Read ALL the answers.

Then read the question again -- and make sure you didn't add anything or miss anything the first time. Then pick the right answer.

If you misread the question, you may jump at the right answer to the wrong question -- and that's a wrong answer on the exam.

For this question you should remember or know that inter means between. Intra means within or inside.
  • Options
    Thanks mike!

I'm trying to understand the 802.2 LLC layer... I see that it has a DSAP field, an SSAP field and a CTL field, but i'm not sure what they mean. Is it beyond the scope of the icnd1, beside knowing that it is a layer 2 protocol?
  • Options
    How about this one...

What are two major benefits of adding a bridge to a network?
    A. isolating potential network problems to specific segments
    B. increasing the speed of a network
    C. extending a LAN to cover greater distances by joining multiple segments
    D. creating fewer collision domains
    E. forwarding data frames between LAN segments
  • Options
    ______ is the physical catalyst switch startup process that attaches the power cable plug to the switch power supply socket.

Step 1, 2 or 3

I chose 1, but they say 2. I guess you're technically supposed to plug the switch ports in first? Or are they referring to the fact that you would plug it into the wall before plugging it into the switch?
  • Options
    I know these last few have been very basic, but I am just trying to cover all my bases.

What CLI command should you enter to display the command syntax help so that you can see how to complete a command that begins with "config"?
    A. config?
    B. config ?

I put A, with the thought process that config is short for configure and if you type in "config?", the router/switch would give you anything that starts with "config". I guess they are assuming that you know that configure is the only command that starts with config.
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How about this one...

What are two major benefits of adding a bridge to a network?
    A. isolating potential network problems to specific segments
    B. increasing the speed of a network
    C. extending a LAN to cover greater distances by joining multiple segments
    D. creating fewer collision domains
    E. forwarding data frames between LAN segments

hmm i think it would be A and C. D looked like a tempting answer until i remembered that switches have ALOT of collision domains and they better than hubs so that means that hubs have only 1 collision domain and bridges did something about that.
    ______ is the physical catalyst switch startup process that attaches the power cable plug to the switch power supply socket.

Step 1, 2 or 3

I chose 1, but they say 2. I guess you're technically supposed to plug the switch ports in first? Or are they referring to the fact that you would plug it into the wall before plugging it into the switch?

if i never read the wendell odom book i would have chose step 1 too. however, i would choose step 2 bcuz i remembered wendell mention that switches have no "on/off" button and i read somewhere about how to setup a router where he states that you fill in those Ethernet ports THEN put in power cable and then turn the router on.
    I know these last few have been very basic, but I am just trying to cover all my bases.

What CLI command should you enter to display the command syntax help so that you can see how to complete a command that begins with "config"?
    A. config?
    B. config ?

I put A, with the thought process that config is short for configure and if you type in "config?", the router/switch would give you anything that starts with "config". I guess they are assuming that you know that configure is the only command that starts with config.

I would say B bcuz when i reached the switches' commands part of odom's book, i specifically took a note about the spaces that existed. could be wrong though.