Options

OK, this is definitely technology related

ProfessorGumbyProfessorGumby Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
How many of you are in the same boat I'm in? I'm a Network Engineer, been at the same job a little more than 10 years, and am worrying that there could be even more layoffs. There are only 2 of us that do what we do, supporting about 400-500 PC's, but many servers, routers, etc., etc. Supporting the end user, more than anything.

So.... for those in a similar boat, what have you done to become more aware of the newer technologies out there? When I say technologies, I mean what is new/hot in I.T. I don't want to have to hit the 2011 job-hunting scene with 2004 skills. Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Michigan.... :-/ I feel for you, man. Your state has been hit hard.

On the MS side I suggest you look at Windows 7 deployment, Server 2008/2008 R2, and SharePoint. But this is with me knowing nothing about your background.
  • Options
    We are a Windows 2K3 shop, so the 2K8 makes perfect sense, and I appreciate the response.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Certainly, as mentioned the current NOS/OS and such is a good way to invest some study time.

Security is always a good area to be familiar with. Not to dabble, but to be famiilar with so if/when you hire that project out...you have the skills to maintain it and/or know if your incoming bids are reasonable....OR invest your time and studies on Security. It's a bigger learning curve than simply upgrading your MS skills though...not difficult, but you'd want to be good, not simply 'able' to do it.

Linux is good

Social media/marketing of IT; web development; etc...

Are you looking to leave the company you are with? Or just looking to see what is a different path than what you currently are on?

Regarless of where in MI you are located, you can look at industries that are there who have a more Global approach or at least the ones that span a couple States. No job is secure....nor does it matter the State you are in, but you can be willing to relocate and stay with a company if you like working for them rather than being left behind.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks, Plantwiz. Good post. I have always been intrigued with Security, so that may be a sign. And I am looking to stay, since Michigan is so dead, but if something does come up, I want to be ready.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How many of you are in the same boat I'm in? I'm a Network Engineer, been at the same job a little more than 10 years, and am worrying that there could be even more layoffs. There are only 2 of us that do what we do, supporting about 400-500 PC's, but many servers, routers, etc., etc. Supporting the end user, more than anything.

So.... for those in a similar boat, what have you done to become more aware of the newer technologies out there? When I say technologies, I mean what is new/hot in I.T. I don't want to have to hit the 2011 job-hunting scene with 2004 skills. Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

Go for the CCNP. I imagine you have the experience to back it up or bluff it in the interview. That should help you out. I notice you are a CNE which may be useful to local government or educational institutions as many seem to use Novell. Other than that get yourself into more meetings so you are not just another operations guy. Team leading, project leading, equipment sizing, quotations, design and improvement work, relocations, migrations, upgrades, any sort of technical consultancy all help your CV. Stick it on.

Important not to be just 'operations' these days. Those jobs are low hanging fruit on the executive piecharts. You lose your job, outright or to an outsourcer, and they get a bonus. Most operations roles worldwide will be on the radar at some point over the next 5 years, the incentive to hammer costs i.e jobs is only going to rise as the new C levels get hired to replace the last bunch who got fired.