Options

Which Certification?

torronetorrone Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Im looking for some advice because Im confused as hell. :D Im a recent college graduate, majored in Computer Information Systems.

I've done a year of classes on Database Management. 2 classes. First class was basic SQL using Access and the second was more advanced concepts using Oracle 10g. I think I have a decent foundation from the classroom but I don't have any actual work experience.

I'm looking for a job and that's not going so well so I've decided in the mean time to work towards a certification. This is where the confusion comes in because as someone new to the field it seems like there are many different certifications available. Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL etc, and many within them as well.

So basically, I'm looking for advice. For someone just out of college and looking to get into the IT world, what do you guys think is the best place to start off? What certifications should I look into? SQL Server vs Oracle vs My SQL? Which technology has the best future? What should I do??

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    torrone wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Im looking for some advice because Im confused as hell. :D Im a recent college graduate, majored in Computer Information Systems.

I've done a year of classes on Database Management. 2 classes. First class was basic SQL using Access and the second was more advanced concepts using Oracle 10g. I think I have a decent foundation from the classroom but I don't have any actual work experience.

I'm looking for a job and that's not going so well so I've decided in the mean time to work towards a certification. This is where the confusion comes in because as someone new to the field it seems like there are many different certifications available. Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL etc, and many within them as well.

So basically, I'm looking for advice. For someone just out of college and looking to get into the IT world, what do you guys think is the best place to start off? What certifications should I look into? SQL Server vs Oracle vs My SQL? Which technology has the best future? What should I do??

I would suggest MS SQL. Oracle seems to be higher end and would probably be harder to get started in without experience. MySQL seems to be more specialized and used as the internal database for packaged apps. MS SQL has a low range free version SQL Express and also has medium and large licensed versions. Because of the different options it can also get packaged into apps.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MS SQL Server and Oracle would be what I would focus on initially.

Being an MS DBA type I will give you my thoughts on where to start. Start with the MCITP Server Administrator as it will be the foundation of knowledge you will need to complete the database admin exams. Not having any experience but having a CIS degree, I find it hard what to suggest as a larger strategy. Apply for "Server Admin" or "Sys Admin" jobs and continue your certification on to MCITP: Database Administrator and then MCITP Database Developer.

As someone who spent very little time on the help desk - I went from Geek Squad to Sys Admin - to DBA - I think you should try to avoid helpdesk. I see that as a potential career blackhole for some folks. It is not going to be easy. But eventually you will find someone who will give you a chance. The odds are in your favor!
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    So I take based on your post that you are particularly interested in Database Administration.

If so, you could look into doing MCITP: Database Administrator, or there are loads of Oracle certifications, but I am no expert there.

I think the largest question you need to ask yourself is not what certification you should go for, but what is your ideal job. Once you have your target job you can begin to do searches on Monster.com, Dice.com, Careerbuilder.com, etc and find out what skills, certifications, experience are required.

Sad to say its not likely you'll find your ideal job right out of the gate because typically you have to work your way up out of the trenches in help desk, or T1 support role.

Either way, stay positive and goal oriented and take the above advice and find the ideal job and see what the market demands of candidates for that job.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    torrone wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Congratulations. If you really like database work and you are good at it your future is assured. Everything relies on a database these days of one flavour or another. If you can get in you avoid the well worn path taken by the screaming hordes looking for desktop/server/networking breaks.

Wherever I have worked there has been a core team responsible for this and that is where you should be seeking entry level work now. You have covered relational database theory at University and no doubt entity relationship diagrams (E-R-D), normalisation, and a good deal of query practice. I would simply punt for some work now and whatever flavour of database comes with the job study that..SQL server, Oracle, SAP, AS400, Infomix, Ingress. This was my best subject when I did my Masters years ago, although I wasn't steller at it and if I had pitched to get in with a company doing this sort of thing and had the chance to work for an experienced DBA or AS/400 programmer I may have gone on in this sort of work. There is money in it and career progression. Every company hosting needs competant DBAs, and you dont get to worry about keeping all the infrastructure up other than your schemas, replicas and clusters. No desktop crap, no networking responsibilities. You just guru on the apps and database.

Tailor your CV so you pitch as a junior DBA. Every medium to large company needs a programmer/DBA. Alternatively apply for jobs with any software house as whatever applications they develop will most likely need to hook into a database of some sort. Heathcare or Financial trading shops spring to mind. Get in with a bank and make good money. Get in with a trading firm and make fantastic money. Get in with a firm developing FX trading instruments and what have you and make tremendous money.

Good luck!
  • Options
    torronetorrone Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated.
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    I would suggest MS SQL. Oracle seems to be higher end and would probably be harder to get started in without experience. MySQL seems to be more specialized and used as the internal database for packaged apps. MS SQL has a low range free version SQL Express and also has medium and large licensed versions. Because of the different options it can also get packaged into apps.

That's true, but Im wondering whether that would still hold true for me because I do have a year of classroom experience with Oracle. Would that make a difference in terms of making it easier to get in?
    MS SQL Server and Oracle would be what I would focus on initially.

Being an MS DBA type I will give you my thoughts on where to start. Start with the MCITP Server Administrator as it will be the foundation of knowledge you will need to complete the database admin exams. Not having any experience but having a CIS degree, I find it hard what to suggest as a larger strategy. Apply for "Server Admin" or "Sys Admin" jobs and continue your certification on to MCITP: Database Administrator and then MCITP Database Developer.

As someone who spent very little time on the help desk - I went from Geek Squad to Sys Admin - to DBA - I think you should try to avoid helpdesk. I see that as a potential career blackhole for some folks. It is not going to be easy. But eventually you will find someone who will give you a chance. The odds are in your favor!

Thanks! Is the MCITP Server Administration a type of prerequisite for the MCITP: Database Administrator?

Also, in terms of time, how long would this entire process take? I like to map out milestones when I study, so this would be helpful to know.
    ibcritn wrote: »
    So I take based on your post that you are particularly interested in Database Administration.

If so, you could look into doing MCITP: Database Administrator, or there are loads of Oracle certifications, but I am no expert there.

I think the largest question you need to ask yourself is not what certification you should go for, but what is your ideal job. Once you have your target job you can begin to do searches on Monster.com, Dice.com, Careerbuilder.com, etc and find out what skills, certifications, experience are required.

Sad to say its not likely you'll find your ideal job right out of the gate because typically you have to work your way up out of the trenches in help desk, or T1 support role.

Either way, stay positive and goal oriented and take the above advice and find the ideal job and see what the market demands of candidates for that job.

Thanks for the advice. I've focused on Database Administration in college and I'd like to think that I enjoy working with databases which is why I'm trying to get myself in the right direction with it.

I'm also willing to look in other places within IT, but again not sure where to look. The only thing I've ruled out for the time being is going into networking because the shift from software to hardware is a time consuming one which isn't practical for me at the moment.

Are there any new technologies that have a good future that it would be worth learning now?
    Turgon wrote: »
    Congratulations. If you really like database work and you are good at it your future is assured. Everything relies on a database these days of one flavour or another. If you can get in you avoid the well worn path taken by the screaming hordes looking for desktop/server/networking breaks.

Wherever I have worked there has been a core team responsible for this and that is where you should be seeking entry level work now. You have covered relational database theory at University and no doubt entity relationship diagrams (E-R-D), normalisation, and a good deal of query practice. I would simply punt for some work now and whatever flavour of database comes with the job study that..SQL server, Oracle, SAP, AS400, Infomix, Ingress. This was my best subject when I did my Masters years ago, although I wasn't steller at it and if I had pitched to get in with a company doing this sort of thing and had the chance to work for an experienced DBA or AS/400 programmer I may have gone on in this sort of work. There is money in it and career progression. Every company hosting needs competant DBAs, and you dont get to worry about keeping all the infrastructure up other than your schemas, replicas and clusters. No desktop crap, no networking responsibilities. You just guru on the apps and database.

Tailor your CV so you pitch as a junior DBA. Every medium to large company needs a programmer/DBA. Alternatively apply for jobs with any software house as whatever applications they develop will most likely need to hook into a database of some sort. Heathcare or Financial trading shops spring to mind. Get in with a bank and make good money. Get in with a trading firm and make fantastic money. Get in with a firm developing FX trading instruments and what have you and make tremendous money.

Good luck!

Thank you. You're right, I have covered all of those concepts in college including a lot of practice time writing queries. And getting into all of those places sounds great! It's just hard to get in :) I like your advice and I will definitely use it.