Options

CCENT : Importance of having personal lab?

simplysimply Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
How important is it to have access to equipment ( one's personal lab ) when preparing for
1) CCENT
2) ICND2

I've read enough threads and forums to know a person can pass CCNA ( either single test or dual tests ) without using hardware.

I'm currently studying for CCENT. I have following:

CCENT/ICND1 - Odem 2nd edition
CBTNugget Videos ( CCENT/CCNA )
Boson ExSim Max ( icnd1 & icnd2 )
NetSim 8 for CCNA
Cisco CCNA Network Simulator 640-802
Cisco CCNA Portable command Guide

Above should be sufficient to get through ICND1... however, i am debating / struggling with whether or not i should invest heavily now for CCNA lab so i can practice while studying for CCENT... ( struggle because of finance / budget / cost ).

Equipment isn't so expensive, but it appears re-licensing from Cisco to get correct IOS that supports all the hands on lab exercises for CCNA is.

Problem i've encountered, is one can purchase used / gray market equipment either standalone or in kits. However, cisco's licenses are not transferable.

To get the correct IOS version that contains features for all the hands on labs for CCNA ( IPv6, VLAN, STP, etc... ), will require IOS upgrade on each piece of equipment.

Upgrading IOS ( re-licensing ) from Cisco appears to cost more than all equipment including rack, cables, etc...

I'm thinking of getting following in 12U or 16U rack:

Two Cisco 2610XM 256/48 12.4 Routers
One Cisco 2611XM dual Etherent 256/48 12.4 Router
One 3550 Layer 3 Switch
Two Cisco 2950 Switches

Not sure whether it's necessary this early ( for CCENT ) or should postpone until ICND2. I do know learning is key.

For me, the Journey ( knowledge i gain ) is just as important and significant as the Destination ( obtaining certificate ). I want to know, understand and be able to articulate & explain what I’m learning as I’m learning. I want to be able to implement and demonstrate what i've learned.

Also not sure if should purchase used ( third party / gray market ) or from Cisco refurbish...

If purchased used, then i have to purchase separate license for each piece of equipment

If i purchase equipment from cisco refurbish, it comes with license

Truly appreciate advice from anyone who has purchased and put together a CCNA lab...

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    $200 could get you all you need for a CCENT/CCNA lab. Switches are most important because they're harder to emulate.

Have you checked out gns3? GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator If you have ios images available this can fulfill your lab requirements. I've heard of people getting a CCIE:R&S with just gns3.

My own personal experience is that I'm really glad I bought my switch and two routers. You can run console connections, connect the routers using serial links, and many other things. Actually SEEING all of this with REAL equipment solidified the experience for me.

Do you own a rack right now? I've been looking for a 16U myself....so far http://www.dantraknet.com/item/81 is looking pretty good.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde,

I've heard about GNS3; however, as you've mentioned i'd have to purchase licenses or equipment that already has license.

The equipment i'm looking at will cost possibly $700-$800 including all cables, power cords, additional cards and rack...

Curious, where did you get your equipment from? Did it your switch and router come with latest IOS?
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    simply wrote: »
    ehnde,

I've heard about GNS3; however, as you've mentioned i'd have to purchase licenses or equipment that already has license.

The equipment i'm looking at will cost possibly $700-$800 including all cables, power cords, additional cards and rack...

Curious, where did you get your equipment from? Did it your switch and router come with latest IOS?

I bought 2 1721s on ebay for $30 each, and one switch (2950) for around $80. I'd like to buy more switches, but can't now. My 1721s came with ip base, and I needed 12.4 adv enterprise. They've been upgraded since then. A little cisco bird friend gave me the IOS files I needed. Maybe I'll get flamed for admitting that, but as they say "what goes on in the lab, stays in the lab".
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    google is your friend
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    really
    How important is it to have access to equipment ( one's personal lab )

My question, in response:
    How can anyone really know what happens when you unplug one side of an ethernet/fastEthernet interface, or any serial interface? Unless one is able to physically experience, visually see first hand, what happens, and run the necessary troubleshooting/verification commands from the router or switch, I do not believe one could possibly, completely, comprehend what is happening within an internetwork.

Admittedly, programs like Packet Tracer and GNS3 are great tools (when used properly) to further understand network operations, but, there is no possible substitution/simulation for being able to physically manipulate the inter-device connections. Network simulators are just that. Although many have managed to pass the requisite exams at many levels, IF they used simulators exclusively I can tell you ,from experience, they do not really understand what is actually going on with the hardware. I could go on and on for days, even weeks, about the simulator certified support personnel I have dealt with over the past 20 years. This is one of the reasons I delayed this long to persue my certifications!

Is one able to acheive their certification levels as they desire using only simulators? Yes! Is it ultimately in their best interest? Only they and those they deal with remotely may answer that question. But, remember, the personyou may be dealing with over the phone in an effort to bring your network back on line is generally there for a reason! Even they may have limited experience in the overal configuration of the equipment, if their experience is worth a damn they will be able to provide you, as the remote support contact, with visual clues concerning the network status particularily if you are not able to gain remote access.

As an example, if you, as a network support person, were told by your eyes and hands on site (the technician) that the WIC-1DUS/CSU-T1 displayed AL = amber, CD = un-lit, would you have any idea what that indicated if your only experience was with a simulator? I seriously doubt it and I have the requisite experience in the field to back my observation. On the other had, IF you actually had hands on experience you would know that there was, at the minimum, a layer 1 issue or a physical/electrical problem with the interface. Simulator programs do not, I repeat, DO NOT provide that type of direct visual reference only understood from having hands-on experience!

Ultimately, what happens is the remote support attempts to treat the on-site person as though they have never seen a keyboard or mouse before. This approach demeans the abilities of the on-site eyes and hands and ANY field tech/engineer worth their salt will castrate the remote support person immediately and without reservation and, in the after-incident report, will be able to justify their actions and keep their jobs (and possibly put your position in jeapordy)!

I have long felt that it is ill advised to place a support person in a position to provide remote assistance when that person has not actually been the field, with actual hands on experience installing and troubleshooting the systems they are now responsible for supporting. Most support infrastructure rely on canned scripts that any literate person can read and key in a response. Experience, and only experience, allows one to efficiently and effectively locate the source of a problem and come to a resolution.

Going back to the example I gave earlier. The remote could ask the on-site tech to console in to the device (but a good tech would have already done this) and ask what the terminal session displays! It could be that the session displays ROMMON> in which case the router's/Switch's Flash crapped its pants! I can not begin to estimate how many times I have come across this AFTER being asked to replace cable runs or replace patch cables. Live and learn! (Knowing what remote is going to ask, I already have all the answers before I even call in)! But even then, some inanely ignorant, unable to do anything other than what is recommended on thier screen, person wants to do is take me, step-by-step through the troubleshooting process regardless of the Valuable, Time Saving information I have already given them (I even had an instance where I was contracted to troubleshoot a connectivity issue at a site and when I arrived and consoled in, I found the router had rebooted in ROMMON and I advised my remote contact of that fact. They still had me replace cables and cable runs, and proivide certification results of those replacements before admitting, after several equipment re-boots that the device required replacement even though I had the same IOS available so I could either TFTP or XMODEM the image to the device's flash!) Hours wasted and dollars spent needlessly!

As a field tech/engineer, I made my reputation as a get in, get out, tech. Companies I dealt/deal with know that, when they send me to a site, the issues will be isolated/repaired in the most efficient manner. The ability to do this only comes from knowledge of the equipment and ACTUAL hands-on Experience!

You decide! A quote from Indiana Jones and the Last Cursade ... "Choose Wisely!" I guarantee the wrong choice will most likely lead to headaches in the future.

END RANT!
    But, HEY! What do I know. I'm just an ignorant wire monkey!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    google is your friend
    tell me about it !!
  • Options
    ehnde,

I don't own any hardware as of yet; however, i saw your link to 16U rack: Dantrak Net *- New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories. and i agree it does look good.

Wow !!! Thanks for sharing...

I'll definitely consider dantraknet when making final purchase. Originally i was thinking of getting a desktop rack; however, after looking at what you showed me, i may reconsider ( rack has wheels which makes it mobile and i can always remove wheels if need be and place rack on table ).

Again, thanks for sharing...
  • Options
    Greenmet & gouki, thanks for comments about googling...
  • Options
    hermeszdata,

Thanks for taking time, effort and providing details to support and reinforce need and importance of having hardware.

I agree with your statements, sentiments and experience.

When interviewing candidates for tech support roles, I too have experienced & witnessed what you've shared. I've often felt empathy for the individuals on the other side of the table attempting to obtain a job when the only experience they had was academic exposure and training.

I've witnessed firsthand on numerous occasions, individuals with various certifications from boot camp, cram sessions, etc... that passed exams, but several months later were not able to recall anything specific from the exams they had passed...

I applaud anyone and everyone who sacrifices and takes the time, effort, and initiative to study, prepare and passes an exam. Especially those who " sincerely desire " to " learn ", not just pass.

However, I’ve also seen devastation, embarrassment and frustration that comes when those same individuals were interviewed for a role that requires hands on... It's nearly impossible to remember & recall, several months later, what was contained in several thousand pages of information, if only knowledge and experience is " academic "...

Thus my reason for wanting to learn, understand, comprehend and be able to articulate, implement and demonstrate, what I’ve learned, while I’m learning...

That said, I also understand, not everyone can afford equipment and in those situations, emulators & simulators are absolutely the next best thing...

There are many reasons for getting certified… And I salute everyone that has gone before me and passed the Cisco exams as that in and of itself is an accomplishment which I hope someday to achieve…

Side note:
    In your signature you had " 640-802 Secheduled 6 january 2011 ". Did you take exam yesterday? If so, how did you do?
  • Options
    ehnde,

Congratulations on passing your " MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration ". You did that last month, 12/2010, correct?

Looks like you're really pushing, studying and preparing for multiple exams simultaneously A+, 70-680 and CCENT/CCNA.

Best of success when you take CCENT/CCNA
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I first wanted the CCNA so I could leave my deli job. As time passed I gradually became more and more interested and began to love everything networking. The job aspect has been replaced for my desire to learn and understand.

I am buying my first second hand 871 router with no cables next week. I hope to buy another router and a switch and the necessary cables within the next month. I am genuinely excited about building my own lab, and the best thing is im doing it out of interest and not of learning. The learning is now a natural process.

I dont have a lab yet but I recommend you should get one. Even connecting everything and wondering why its not routing, and then troubleshooting and fixing it would be beneficial to not just passing the CCNA, but being a good network admin.

Kai.
  • Options
    Kai,
    I agree with you wholeheartedly and thanks for sharing / contributing

Since i've been considering and researching what it takes to build a lab, purchase equipment, etc... I've learned a ton of information.

1st i've started to learn about licensing issues
    * licensing not transferable
    * relicensing and inspection

2nd learned about purchasing:
    * cisco partners
    * cisco refurbish
    * third party and gray markets

3rd learned about equipment and numbers
    * switches, routers and board numbers

4th once i do purchase equipment at some point hope to:
    * upgrade IOS
    * blow away all configuration, including IOS if possible
    * re-install IOS
    * restore configuration that was backed up from earlier session

CCNA is supposed to prepare one to install, configure and setup networking in a supposedly new small enterprise business...

We'll, if one can purchase, install, setup and configure lab in ones own home that is connected directly to the network, with security, VPN, and NAT'ed to their personal intranet ( laptops, pc's, xbox, tv, ipads, ipods, etc.... ) and eventually VoIp, etc... then I'd say one is truly prepared to and ready to take on challenges that would face them in real world...

Once again, thanks and best of success in your pursuit of learning, knowledge and purhaps certification some day..
  • Options
    Kai,
    Forgot to ask. Did you ever get opportunity to leave your deli job for something new as result of your increased knowledge of cisco product and networking in general?
  • Options
    The issues of education/experience we talk about have always bothered me. The old complaint of "I can't get a job without experience (regardless of education) and I can't get experience without a job!" is very preplexing. I honestly believe that, for decades, employers have done themselves a great disservice regarding their overall hiring policies and practices. It almost seem (talking mainly about remote support positions) that they are more concerned about having someone who can read script and has a pleasent voice on the phone than having one who has the hands-on, time in the field, experience that leads to a solid foundation of practical knowledge. Don't mis-understand, book knowledge is important but it is only a beginning. How one uses that knowledge it most important.

In a recent trip through the Help Wanted ads for Network/Tech Support positions, I was simply amazed at the number of positions (entry-level) where the requirement was as follows:

BS MIS or IT
    5+ years documentable experience (Some as much as 10+ minimum)
    This, that, or another Certification
    plus a long list of other requirements

Compensation ... $15.00/hr

Absolutely Amazing!

Kind of makes one wonder sometimes why we even bother.icon_confused.gif:
    Side note:
    In your signature you had " 640-802 Secheduled 6 january 2011 ". Did you take exam yesterday? If so, how did you do?

So as not to have to do a complete re-run, the answer is here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/61866-do-die.html

I am still trying to sort through the test results of which I am both embarrassed and confused.

Unfortunately, due to the circumstances I described in the referenced link, I am not in a position to purchase additional study aids that might help for my next trip to the testing center.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    The issues of education/experience we talk about have always bothered me. The old complaint of "I can't get a job without experience (regardless of education) and I can't get experience without a job!" is very preplexing. I honestly believe that, for decades, employers have done themselves a great disservice regarding their overall hiring policies and practices. It almost seem (talking mainly about remote support positions) that they are more concerned about having someone who can read script and has a pleasent voice on the phone than having one who has the hands-on, time in the field, experience that leads to a solid foundation of practical knowledge. Don't mis-understand, book knowledge is important but it is only a beginning. How one uses that knowledge it most important.

In a recent trip through the Help Wanted ads for Network/Tech Support positions, I was simply amazed at the number of positions (entry-level) where the requirement was as follows:

BS MIS or IT
    5+ years documentable experience (Some as much as 10+ minimum)
    This, that, or another Certification
    plus a long list of other requirements

Compensation ... $15.00/hr

Absolutely Amazing!

Kind of makes one wonder sometimes why we even bother.icon_confused.gif:

So as not to have to do a complete re-run, the answer is here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/61866-do-die.html

I am still trying to sort through the test results of which I am both embarrassed and confused.

Unfortunately, due to the circumstances I described in the referenced link, I am not in a position to purchase additional study aids that might help for my next trip to the testing center.

i hate that circle sometimes some people know less than you and they got the job because they are friends with the boss someone like me who is seeking a spot in the industry withouth any friend-family in the businness is hard but with God in my side and lots of studies and perseverance i will do it
  • Options
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    i hate that circle sometimes some people know less than you and they got the job because they are friends with the boss someone like me who is seeking a spot in the industry withouth any friend-family in the businness is hard but with God in my side and lots of studies and perseverance i will do it

Side note, check out following as a pick me up, cheer me up....

Never Give up, never give in...

Homeless man with Golden Voice:
    Golden-voiced homeless man: This time I have God - TODAY People - TODAYshow.com

Steve Jobs ( Apple computer ) commencement speech
    YouTube - Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address
    1) he is adopted
    2) he dropped out of college ( tuition too expensive )
    3) takes Apple to nothing to 2 Billion
    4) fired at top of his career
    5) started Next, sold it to apple
    6) started Pixar - very successful
    7) now runs Apple - ipods, ipads iphones ( millions sold, billions made )
    icon_cool.gif rest is history

J.K Rowlings ( Author Harry Potter - believe only Billionaire author )
    YouTube - JK Rowling Harvard Commencement Speech Part 1 - June 5 2008
    1) divorced and single with newborn baby
    2) always wanted to write
    3) rejected by 12 publishers
    4) writes Harry Potters series and rest is history
    5) books, movies and numerous paraphernalia

Don't be distracted nor discourgaged, education is supreme...
    1) get your education
    2) so when the opportunity presents itself, you'll be ready

Without the education, you may make it, but with education, you're better prepared and ready and poised to make it...

Good movies to watch in case you need pick me up:
    1) rudy
    2) october skies
    3) patch adams
    4) men of honor
  • Options

Never be ashammed nor embarrassed... If you did your best and it wasn't enough, simply collect yourself, review what you missed and why you fell short and simply continue on... Prepare and do better next time... Even if you fail again, just repeat process until you've achieved your goal, desire / dream...

As for resources... the internet is full of resources, videos, excerpts, etc... Library may have some cisco books, go to some of local schools ( night / adult school, Junior College, College / University, trade schools, etc... see if they have any extra materials ) visit book stores, they may have damaged or older editions, visit some of your local tech companies and simply ask them, if they have out dated or extraneous books, resources in areas of your interest... Work for books, knowledge, experience, volunteer... do whatever you have to do ( that's ethical ), to acheive your dreams / desires...

Bottom line it's up to us to make or break it... Don't let anyone define you... You define yourself... If you think you can make it, you will, if you think you won't, you won't...
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I have to say, I think a large lab would be overkill for the CCENT. Books, simulators and test prep programs should be enough-- if you want a switch and a router to play with, that would be a reasonable purchase. There's enough conceptual and foundational material there that you should really pay close attention to your books.

The ICND2 is another animal-- you should have GNS3 and/or real physical hardware at hand. Other threads cover this detail much better.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    hermeszdata,

Because of your original post to this thread and post from others, i've considering getting following lab from ciscokits... I'll create a separate thread to get opinions on items listed and experience others may have had from cisco kits...

My goal is as follows:
    1) CCENT / ICND1
    2) ICND2
    3) CCNP
    4) CCDA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Price:

$1075 - Premium Plus CCNA & CCNA Security Combo Lab Kit
    $0182 - Three year warranty - not sure what comes with this
    $0055 - CBT DVD - CCNA 640-802
    Hardware:

Tested and Guaranteed working!!
    Two Cisco 2610XM 256/48 12.4 Routers
    One Cisco 2611XM dual Etherent 256/48 12.4 Router
    One 3550 Layer 3 Switch
    Two Cisco 2950 Switches
    One NM-4A/S Serial Module
    Two WIC-1T Serial Modules
    Two DTE/DCE back to back cables
    Six Power Cables
    Console cable kit
    Two Ethernet Crossover Cables
    Five Etherent Patch Cables
    30 Day Warranty!
    Additional items:

Cisco Academy CCNA Security Lab Workbook($39.99 value)
    CiscoKits CCNA Security Lab Workbook($39.99 value)
    CiscoKits CCNA Lab Workbook($29.99 value)
    CiscoKits CCNA CRAM Sheet($14.99 value)
    CiscoKits CCNA Study Poster($9.99 value)
    12.4 IOS on CD
    CiscoKits CCENT Test Engine
    CiscoKits ICND1 & 2 Test Engine
    CiscoKits CCNA Test Engine($29.99 value)
    CiscoKits BSCI Test Engine
    CiscoKits BCMSN Test Engine
    CiscoKits ISCW Test Engine
    CiscoKits ONT Test Engine
    50+ articles covering Cisco Test concepts
    TFTP Server
    Subnet Calculator Trial Tool
    Port Scanner Trial Tool
    Password Recovery Trial Tool
    CCNP Pix Firewall & IDS Trial Tools
    CCNP IOS Configuration Trial Tools
    CCNP Router & Switch Simulator Trial Tools
    CCNP Network Design Trial Tool
    CCNP VOIP Packet Sniffer Trial Tool
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One other advantage of buying real hardware is so you get to learn how to upgrade your routers/switches by inserting modules and ram etc.

I personally think spending 700-800 is a bit overkill for a CCNA lab setup though the setup you have there looks like it will take you to CCNP with just a few extra routers.

So far I estimate my lab to cost about :

4x 1721 router 64D/32F with WIC-1T cards installed on them - $120
    4x 64M ram upgrade for the 1721's so i could load 12.4 IOS on them
    $34 3x 2950 switches + 2 console cables + 1 serial cable : $100

Total : $254 which includes shipping to my american address but because I don't live there, i would prob have to cough up $250US again to get it shipped to where i live......and should any of 1721's or 2950's not work I would break down in icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Petedude,
    Thanks for post...

I agree with you, lab truly isn't necessary, as so many have passed full ccna without it... but if one has resources and/or opportunity, it will definitely be a plus...

Personally, i'm taking this very seriously as a career enhancement and possibly move... I'm willing to put everything on credit card 0% interest and make minimum payments... Even if everything went south financially, i could still find bottles and sale them to pay credit card for equipment and since 16U or 12U rack will have wheels, i can role it around, covered and protected from elements if necessary... And during day, simply role it into library or public park and plug it into AC and practice labs... :)

So bottom line, i'm willing to purchase everything up front from one vendor ( as opposed to multiple individuals on ebay and worrying whether or not equipment works, has corrrect IOS, etc... ).

For me i know hands on will be a big plus...

Purchasing this equipment is very important to me...

Had an opportunity this past Christmas, to purchase 55" 480Hz Full LED & Full 3D flat screen with full internet capability for $1400, normally $2500-3500; however, i think this equipment is more important to my future success, current enjoyment and professional self esteem when conversing with others in the field and possibly interviewing for my next job...

There are a lot of talented, educated and bright people on this forum...

I'm honored and very appreciative anyone responds... and helps me in my quest to do and be better.

Some day i hope to return favor to others as i learn, and become more knowledgeable...

-simply
  • Options
    IMPZ,

Thanks for sharing...
    Where did you purchase your equipment ( ebay )?
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ye I'm planning to get them from 3 separate ebay sellers although I am yet to win the auction for the switches, though the routers are safe xD.

I took the precaution of buying from high feedback sellers and only if they had a "show version" on the auctions. One thing I note though is ; you gotta have some damn patience to get a good deal; sometimes you gotta wait 9 days for an auction to end or sometimes, a random good deal pops up but you already got your stuff. I would actually buy more of these if I didnt have 4 already Cisco 1721 Router 64MB DRAM and 32MB Flash - eBay (item 120667299934 end time Jan-13-11 12:16:03 PST)
  • Options
    Simply, regarding the LAB kit you posted earlier. I think is is a bit over priced. But that is just my opinion. The hardware content is good (though I would add additional an additional router and interfaces).

The kits I have put together and sold locally and on ebay run about half the price you quoted.

Regarding study materials.

I have:
    Cisco Press CCNA Series (ICDN1/2 combo),
    Todd Lammle's 6th edition CCNA study guide,
    ExamCram (3rd Edition)
    Cisco Press CCNA Voice
    Exam Cram CCNA Voice
    Boson ExSIM-MAX
    numerous LAB Manuals gleaned from on-line sources.
    and Cisco's website where we can find additional information concerning every aspect of Knowledge needed for any of Cisco's objectives.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll probably get hell for this, but I honestly see no reason to lab it up for CCENT.

CCNA...yeah, sure, but not CCENT. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do it, but I don't really think it's worth the investment unless you plan on re-selling it, or pursuing higher level certs.
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Qord wrote: »
    I'll probably get hell for this, but I honestly see no reason to lab it up for CCENT.

CCNA...yeah, sure, but not CCENT. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do it, but I don't really think it's worth the investment unless you plan on re-selling it, or pursuing higher level certs.

This is probably true, but I think most people who are studying for ccent have plans to eventually go for the ccna. Just my opinion, from what i've seen on these boards and from searching job postings.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The old complaint of "I can't get a job without experience (regardless of education) and I can't get experience without a job!" is very preplexing.
    Almost 100% of the people I've ever worked with were able to successfully find the solution to that problem. And only 3 or 4 people I've ever worked with have relied on the "work for family" solution.

The 3 popular solutions that I can think of:
    apply anyway
    impress someone
    know someone
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Almost 100% of the people I've ever worked with were able to successfully find the solution to that problem. And only 3 or 4 people I've ever worked with have relied on the "work for family" solution.

The 3 popular solutions that I can think of:
    apply anyway
    impress someone
    know someone

It may be someone you know who gets you in the door. Only you may demonstrate your value once in and what you do from that point on determines whether the door hits you in the behind as you leave!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • Options

hermeszdata,

Appreciate your honesty, truthfulness & candidness.

I agree with you… It’s definitely more expensive than one could get shopping around and purchasing each item separately.

Convenience costs…

If I was more familiar with equipment, software, etc… and had more time, I would probably purchase each item separately and attempt to get better deal…

In this particular case, preferred “ one stop shop “ vs “ numerous individual deals “

By purchasing from one “ reputable “ source, ( I’m checking on their reputation ):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I get following ( peace of mind ):

1) all equipment comes from one source
    2) equipment guaranteed to work next three years
    3) can return complete kit when ready to upgrade to next level
    4) equipment has most recent 12.4 IOS needed for most CCNA labs
    5) equipment supposedly has been tested, functional and working as expected
    6) numerous resources provided, labs have been verified to work on equipment
    7) customer service : any issues I deal with one source ( company ) no finger pointing
    icon_cool.gif lab in box - all equipment, software, accessories ( cards, power cords, etc… ) ready to go
    9) customer support, CiscoKit has been around, and should be there if have problems with equip or labs

If I had time and was perhaps more familiar with equipment IOS and accessories, I would try and buy all pieces at their absolute best prices...

I haven’t purchased equipment yet, so there’s still time to consider other sources should CiscoKit prove not to be best option…
  • Options

If I had time and was perhaps more familiar with equipment IOS and accessories, I would try and buy all pieces at their absolute best prices...

I haven’t purchased equipment yet, so there’s still time to consider other sources should CiscoKit prove not to be best option…

Sent you a PM earlier. Give me a buzz back and we can talk.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals