USB to Serial compatible with Win7 64bit

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Anyone know of an adapter that is compatible with Win7 64bit?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Anyone know of an adapter that is compatible with Win7 64bit?
    The Prolific and FTDI ones I've got all work under W7 x64. I don't know the specific brand names of the adapter themselves as the ones I've got are all generic.
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    I've got a Startech (prolific chipset) that has been working fine on Win7 64 bits (as well as Snow Leopard and Linux).

USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Adapter Cable - M/M
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks guys! :) I'm about ready to delve into some Cisco studies icon_thumright.gif
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Thanks guys! :) I'm about ready to delve into some Cisco studies icon_thumright.gif

Hey if you haven't ordered the one posted earlier you can use this one Amazon.com: Sabrent SBT-USC1M Hi-Speed USB 2.0 to Serial (9-pin) DB-9 RS-232 Adapter Cable (1-foot, Blue): Electronics I have been using it for about 3 months with no problems. You will have to download a driver for it as well. I am running win7 64bit Ultimate.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

hey if you haven't ordered the one posted earlier you can use this one amazon.com: Sabrent sbt-usc1m hi-speed usb 2.0 to serial (9-pin) db-9 rs-232 adapter cable (1-foot, blue): Electronics i have been using it for about 3 months with no problems. You will have to download a driver for it as well. I am running win7 64bit ultimate.

спасибо! :)
    спасибо! :)

нет проблем
    icon_cool.gif
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    This one splits the difference in price between those two. Amazon.com: BAFO BF-810 - Serial adapter - USB - RS-232 - serial: Electronics It is what is used in the lab at school and I've never had any problems with it on my Win 7 64bit machine.
  • seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Same as above..

I bought this one from a recommendation. Just make sure which ever one you do decide to purchase supports the break sequence for disaster recovery.

CISCO CONSOLE CABLE ADAPTER USB to DB9 BREAK SEQUENCE - eBay (item 110465632319 end time Jan-27-11 12:51:19 PST)
    seekrit wrote: »
    Honest boss! I was looking for a USB serial adapter and not anime women!

$10 for a NM blanking plate? Wow. I didn't know vendors were that penny pinching to remove those and charge extra!
    Same as above..

I bought this one from a recommendation. Just make sure which ever one you do decide to purchase supports the break sequence for disaster recovery.

CISCO CONSOLE CABLE ADAPTER USB to DB9 BREAK SEQUENCE - eBay (item 110465632319 end time Jan-27-11 12:51:19 PST)

I do like the fact that you can disconnect it and use it as a regular usb cable. I might look into getting this one as a back-up to the one I own.

I do like the fact that you can disconnect it and use it as a regular usb cable. I might look into getting this one as a back-up to the one I own.
    You really have that many devices with a USB B connector? Pretty much everything I've got that uses USB now uses a micro USB or mini USB connector. The only things I can think of that don't are a JTAG emulator and a printer.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441

The BF-810 I linked to on Amazon does the same and it's a couple dollars cheaper. Actually the one on Ebay looks like it could be a bafo adapter - I don't see where the seller mentions a manufacturer.
    Same as above..

Nice! I like how you can choose whatever length USB cord you want! :D
    Nice! I like how you can choose whatever length USB cord you want! :D
    If the console cable isn't long enough then invest in a RJ45 coupler for a couple bucks and just use a patch lead to extend it.

I've got a USB serial adapter, console cable, straight through coupler, coupler but modified to crossover for null modem usage, patch lead and a RJ45 to DB9 adapter in my kit to handle pretty much everything I need in terms of serial.
    tiersten wrote: »
    If the console cable isn't long enough then invest in a RJ45 coupler for a couple bucks and just use a patch lead to extend it.

I've got a USB serial adapter, console cable, straight through coupler, coupler but modified to crossover for null modem usage, patch lead and a RJ45 to DB9 adapter in my kit to handle pretty much everything I need in terms of serial.

Nice! If I ever get sick of the whirring fans I might do that.
    Whatever it is, just make sure it supports the Break Sequence
    You really have that many devices with a USB B connector? Pretty much everything I've got that uses USB now uses a micro USB or mini USB connector. The only things I can think of that don't are a JTAG emulator and a printer.

Well I meant a back up to the usb to serial cable. But I have two printers at different locations and a piano keyboard that uses a USB B connection. I have been meaning to get one so i can load music onto it. The adapter for me is just a double whammy.:D

Whatever it is, just make sure it supports the Break Sequence

Break Sequence?
    Some of the USB-DB9 adapters don't send the break sequence to interrupt the normal boot process of Cisco devices to boot directly into ROMMON.

Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations During Password Recovery - Cisco Systems
    Some of the USB-DB9 adapters don't send the break sequence to interrupt the normal boot process of Cisco devices to boot directly into ROMMON.

Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations During Password Recovery - Cisco Systems

Ah, okay. Yeah, that would be important.
    I decided to look over my motherboard and realized that there is a spot to connect an RS-232 connection. Ironically, the raisers are the same price on eBay as the USB to DB9. icon_rolleyes.gif
    I decided to look over my motherboard and realized that there is a spot to connect an RS-232 connection. Ironically, the raisers are the same price on eBay as the USB to DB9. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Huh? What motherboard do you have? Unusual that it still has built in legacy ports like RS232 serial. Also odd that its only on a header inside as well and not on the backplate.
    Huh? What motherboard do you have? Unusual that it still has built in legacy ports like RS232 serial. Also odd that its only on a header inside as well and not on the backplate.

I was surprised as well. I'll eventually look for a raiser, but the USB is much more useful since I'm going to want to use the laptop more.

Gigabyte H55M-S2H
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Here's a thought, why not get an old PC that has the standard serial ports? Sounds old school, but with a decent KVM you can switch back and forth between your two boxes (I'm think KVM for convenience but you could also do it with an additional keyboard, video, and mouse). Might be cheaper and less hassle than rigging it up with the newer USB gear.
    So I've been using my USB-to-Serial adapter on and off. To be honest, I became so disappointed with it that I finally bought a PCI card with two serial ports on it. The USB adapter would randomly just drop and I would have to unplug and than replug it into the USB port.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    +1 on ftdichip usb to serial adapters. Work well with all os. Work great with linux and no driver is necessary.

Can get a range of pcie to serial ports.
    We use the moxa multiport ones at work Moxa PCI Express Serial Cards CP-118EL-A - 8-port RS-232/422/485 PCI Express serial board

Problem with most usb2serial is they are only galvanically isolated (not fully grounded) but its usually only older devices (especially some chip programmers) that have problems not cisco gear.

If you are having problems make sure to test with manufactured cables not ones you made yourself.

Other problem is with laptops is some turn off the usb ports when they are on batteries unless you modify the
    power profile and settings , need to disable/deselect turn off this device when power saving is enabled.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014