Options

Wireless: Web authentication need for WLAN guest traffic?

NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
Is web authentication need for WLAN guest traffic? Since we have already deployed an EoIP and a anchor for the guest traffic?
I wanted the guests to only use a WPA2 key and then get to the internet, with no authentication needed.
Is this possbile?

Comments

• Options
    PickerPicker Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NullCode wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Is web authentication need for WLAN guest traffic? Since we have already deployed an EoIP and a anchor for the guest traffic?
    I wanted the guests to only use a WPA2 key and then get to the internet, with no authentication needed.
    Is this possbile?

Nice i hvae been thinking about this for a very long time and i do have a similar issue like this at the moment. It would be nice if we do get a help on this issue and how to go about solving it in detail. Thanks in adv
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NullCode wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Is this possbile?
    well, in my opinion we need authentication, otherwise everyone can join to our network, so the WPA2 key will be pointless, maybe I'm wrong? If so I would find out more about this
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Are you setting this up via IOS or a LAN Controller?
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys.

So i am using a WLC and another WLC in the DMZ(guest anchor) so the guest traffic can only get to the internet. All the guest traffic is tunneled to the WLC in the DMZ.

To answer my question, it seems that you can do only layer2 authentication(web authentication of any kind is not required) and the guest traffic cannot reach the internal network.
    Thank you for the replies.
    I was searching only for this information, but it seems i could not find it(i search through the student guides from Cisco and still nothing icon_sad.gif ).

@greenerek well authentication is a way, but if you have users that use iPhones only for email, it is not ok to make them go to the browser to authenticate them.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    We set authentication up with Cisco Clean Access for our guest network.