How much harder is CCNA than Network+ ??

I3astardsI3astards Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
HI all,

Im currentyl doing my Network+ & it seems not too challenging to understand. Once ive done Net+, I then want to do another cert. Do you feel that CCNA will be a big step up from Net+???

I do work for a Cisco partner (CCNA certed peeps) so I can always for help but im not directly in the IT deparment so im not dealing with routers on a daily basis.

Any advice welcome! cheers.

Comments

• shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I3astards wrote: »
    HI all,

Im currentyl doing my Network+ & it seems not too challenging to understand. Once ive done Net+, I then want to do another cert. Do you feel that CCNA will be a big step up from Net+???

I do work for a Cisco partner (CCNA certed peeps) so I can always for help but im not directly in the IT deparment so im not dealing with routers on a daily basis.

Any advice welcome! cheers.

I can't speak to the difficulty of CCNA as I have not taken the exam, but I got my Network+ about 3-4 weeks ago and I would guess that CCNA is Much harder than Network+. Network+ is very broad and not too in depth in that you don't really have to be able to understand specifics on how to configure routers, switches, etc.. It's based more on general concepts, OSI, topologies and basic understanding of network configuration and troubleshooting.

Network+ is certainly a great starting point for a career path in Networking, but CCNA should surely require much more study time, practice and knowledge to pass and Network+ shouldn't be relied upon as a basis for being prepared to tackle CCNA.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Its not say harder, but you do have to put in more work, and you will have to use some equipment to get a pass. Network+ is just theory behind networks CCNA will show you how to put that to use and how it applies to cisco devices. And you will also get deeper into the networking protocols.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • PickerPicker Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Someone once said, "CCNA is N+ on steriod". N+ will give you a solid foundation for CCNA
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Like he said Net+ is theory . In the CCNA you learn about specific protocols and how to make them work using IOS command line. I want to say its harder but I never tried for Net+.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    CCNA is drastically harder then Network+.

CompTIA tests you are typically presented with a lot of obvious wrong answers and you can guess the correct answer even if you aren't sure on the question.

This is NOT the case with Cisco tests as they present you with answers that are very similar and sometimes many could work, but you must choose the best. Combined with the simulations and hands on in the test makes me call CCNA drastically harder.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • I3astardsI3astards Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ibcritn wrote: »

CompTIA tests you are typically presented with a lot of obvious wrong answers and you can guess the correct answer even if you aren't sure on the question.

This is NOT the case with Cisco tests as they present you with answers that are very similar and sometimes many could work, but you must choose the best. Combined with the simulations and hands on in the test makes me call CCNA drastically harder.

Interesting, thanks for the advice.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I took Network+ in 2008, so forgive me if my comments don't reflect the test in it's current format.

That said, I thought it was a joke. It wasn't hard, really, but it covered so much out of date, obscure stuff, it was pathetic. In 2008, I had over 10 years experience in the industry. In that time, I had seen only one token ring network, and I was switching that to ethernet. And there were a LOT of questions about token ring and other dated technologies on it. Hardly anything about new and upcoming stuff. I had one question about wireless, and it's not like wireless was exactly bleeding edge in 2008.

I can understand needing to have a basic idea of how networks have evolved, but I had to spend way too much time focusing on stuff that simply doesn't exist in today's business world.

CCNA was pretty challenging, and in a completely different world from Network+. There's some overlap (OSI model, subnetting, basics of routing & switching), and Net+ could be a good starting point as far as study material.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    I took Network+ in 2008, so forgive me if my comments don't reflect the test in it's current format.

That said, I thought it was a joke. It wasn't hard, really, but it covered so much out of date, obscure stuff, it was pathetic. In 2008, I had over 10 years experience in the industry. In that time, I had seen only one token ring network, and I was switching that to ethernet. And there were a LOT of questions about token ring and other dated technologies on it. Hardly anything about new and upcoming stuff. I had one question about wireless, and it's not like wireless was exactly bleeding edge in 2008.

I can understand needing to have a basic idea of how networks have evolved, but I had to spend way too much time focusing on stuff that simply doesn't exist in today's business world.

CCNA was pretty challenging, and in a completely different world from Network+. There's some overlap (OSI model, subnetting, basics of routing & switching), and Net+ could be a good starting point as far as study material.

A newer exam version of Network+ came out in 2009, which updated the content to newer and current technologies. I took my Network+ 3-4 weeks ago and I don't feel it covered anything that was outdated. My book and other resources discussed some of the older topologies, but I didn't get any questions that I thought were irrelevant in today's networking world.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    It took me 3-4 weeks of studying for Network+.. From the info I'm gathering from these forums, I'm gonna need 3-4 months minimum for CCENT..
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    as far as the information of network+ and CCNA..

Network+ is like fruit, and CCNA is apples.

as stated before, Network+ will give you a good platform for CCNA
    that being said, Security+ gave me a great foundation for CCNA Security.

as far as comparison of the tests.. the CompTIA exams seemed much easier.. if you're a good test taker, you can rule out the wrong answers, and so on. You can also go back, and theres no simulations.

With CCNA, it's time intensive, simulations, simlets, and performance based.
    you actually need to know the material, rather than best-guess.

So yeah, I'd say CCNA is one of the most difficult exams I've taken..

but if you read the material, and understand the material, then you shouldn't have any problems, just allocate your time wisely.
  • I3astardsI3astards Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    badboyeee wrote: »
    It took me 3-4 weeks of studying for Network+.. From the info I'm gathering from these forums, I'm gonna need 3-4 months minimum for CCENT..

From using the basic knowledge gained in ne+, do you feel the CCNA is passable? I understand peoples comment about the the increase in studying time
    From using the basic knowledge gained in ne+, do you feel the CCNA is passable? I understand peoples comment about the the increase in studying time

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I already passed my Network+ couple months ago. I barely started with CCNA, I just had my first class at Cisco Network Academy last Saturday. Was planning to do more studying but got sick over the weekend. So personally, I don't really know much yet.

From what everyone said, Network+ is a good foundation before CCNA. You should also go the two test route like what I will be doing. Take the CCENT/ICND1/640-822 first, then the ICND2/640-816 next to complete CCNA.

I'm an IT guy but only have SOHO networking experience. I have no experience with Cisco hardware. Since I work full time and will be attending Cisco Network Academy, I'm setting my goal to take ICND1 around April, then ICND2 by year-end. I have to see how everything goes with the Cisco classes so these are just my initial goals.

Class taking:

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CCNA is 5x harder than the Network+

But you may not notice since you'll be than much smarter from having taken the Network+ exam.

And if you do the Cisco 2 exam option, it would be even less obvious since the Network+ would have made the ICND1 exam seem easier than it would have been without the Network+ preparation.

And then with your solid networking foundation Network+ and CCENT, the ICND2 exam might even feel like a walk in the park.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130

If you know how to configure a switch, you know how to configure a router.
    you know the the ins and outs of switches and routers.. you should be fine.

the Network+ alone isn't enough to pass CCNA.. but its a great starting point, understanding OSI and TCP/IP, topologies, etc helps understand why you would implement and subnet.
    mikej412 wrote: »

how many times harder is CCENT than Network+ ? :D

Class taking:

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340

Depends on your level of hands on experience (lab or work).

If it's low/none then CCENT will be impossible compared to Network+.

As you will be expected to subnet very quickly.
    Basic configuration of router/switch (applying concepts that network+ may talk about).

Network+ will cover more material then CCENT, but CCENT will be ground view and hands on application of the knowledge.

Personally, for me I felt Network+ was very easy, but CCENT challenged me.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2x harder. Then the ICND2 exam is 2.5x harder than the CCENT.

But as I said, you probably won't notice since you're going to be a lot smarter after studying (and passing) the earlier exams. :)
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • wesleynegronwesleynegron Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone. I am new here and I have a question. I have already taken and passed the Network+ exam and I am setting my sights on CCNA. The question is should I go the two-test route or the one-test route. Is the CCENT material significantly different or more advanced than what's on Network+? I don't want to waste time with CCENT if it's not worth it. However, if it's a significant step up from Network+, then I'm all for it as I prefer the two-test route in theory. Ant input would be greatly appreciated.
  • impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone. I am new here and I have a question. I have already taken and passed the Network+ exam and I am setting my sights on CCNA. The question is should I go the two-test route or the one-test route. Is the CCENT material significantly different or more advanced than what's on Network+? I don't want to waste time with CCENT if it's not worth it. However, if it's a significant step up from Network+, then I'm all for it as I prefer the two-test route in theory. Ant input would be greatly appreciated.
    I would think that if you have a solid working experience in a cisco/networking environment, you should take the 1 exam route or otherwise take the 2 exam route.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

The two test route is by far the best way to go unless you have significant experience already. Not only will the CCENT help expand on the Network+, but it earns you an additional certification. More importantly, it lets you focus on the CCNA in smaller portions rather than taking the composite exam which covers a large range of material.

That's just my opinion, but unless you already have a lot of cisco experience, I don't see a downside to the 2 test route.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

Yes it is

When I took my Network+ (2004) exam, I was told by the exam center that I had their highest score ever.

But when I sat for my CCNA (2007), I failed it after I was sure that I had overstudied/overlabbed for it. Passed it on my second try, but I can assure you from experience it is a lot harder than the Network+ (which isn't an easy test either).

Hmmm, is overlabbed a real word?

:)
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    The two test route is by far the best way to go unless you have significant experience already. Not only will the CCENT help expand on the Network+, but it earns you an additional certification. More importantly, it lets you focus on the CCNA in smaller portions rather than taking the composite exam which covers a large range of material.

That's just my opinion, but unless you already have a lot of cisco experience, I don't see a downside to the 2 test route.

When I took the CCNA (2007), the one test route could save you $150 versus taking 2 tests but that's not true anymore. And nowadays you also get the CCENT (which I don't have) when you pass the first test. So all in all, I would have to agree with Excellent1
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    CCNA is definitely much harder than Network+ I would say the applicability of Network+ is more theory and foundation, while the content of CCNA is applied in real world data center networks, they multiply themself to 10 CCNP is 10 x harder than CCNA, and CCIE is 10 x harder than CCNP, if Network + doesn't deal with WAN, L2 and L3 protocols, then it would be going to a totally different world, but again this is my opinion.
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    ibcritn wrote: »

Agreed. Even the CCENT is twice as hard or harder than the Net+.

I have taken and passed both exams. Network+ was just the basics. CCNA goes much deeper and from what I recall it has far more topics. For me perparing for the CCNA took me about 3-4 times as long than it did for the Net+ (which was 6-8 weeks or so). For CCNA I was working in a Cisco lab and had access to all the gear but it still took me several months to properly prepare. I took the 1 test exam and failed then I went the 2 test route and passed. Much easier when broken down into chunks :)

What helped me the most were the TrainSignal videos for CCNA. I also read the CiscoPress books and did labs on real gear at home after work.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From experience I took my CCENT before I took my Network+ two weeks later. After my CCENT, the Network+ seemed terribly easy and mundane. There are many more details that are assumed you already know in the CCENT, and that is what the Network+ teaches you. The CCNA builds off of the CCENT credentials, so that would make the CCNA much more difficult and time consuming to study for than the Network+.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I took ccent i think on 2008
    I took Network+ last october

CCENT was harder for me than Network+
    Way more complex

CCNA like someone said, is drastically harder than network+

Think of network+ as History, sure there is a lot of ground to cover and is very vast
    Think of CCNA as Applied Sciences, ecuations, challenges very differently the mind compared to history as you need to calculate and process possible answers

btw I'm not saying CCNA has ecuations or anything, I'm saying CCNA is more of an "apply" kind of test than Network+
    meh
  • SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mod please delete.
  • johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□