Options

The value of an online degree in the IT world?

MekongMekong Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I just passed the A+ and am studying for the Net+. I found this site the day before I tested and have to say I'm a little disappointed to see that there’s really no way in the door without starting at the bottom. Is this like an architect needing to do construction work before any doors will open?

My question is about the value of online schools in the IT profession. Here’s my info first:
I deliver art across the U.S. and made $35,600 in 2004, have no rent or car payments, had three months off (as usual) to live in my home away from home, Thailand, where my wife lives, and have just picked up the certification idea with the hopes of settling down here or there with at least the same income and with the hope of a better life in the future doing something I love to do.

I know I need to go back to school (I dropped out with 60 credits to support my traveling habit) but I just can’t work it in, given my situation. I would have to support my wife as she doesn’t speak English (I speak Thai), so she can’t work if she was to come here. My idea was to spend some time in Thailand getting certs, and after a year of self study, and not working, I could get some financial aid to finish it off, possibly at a “real” school.

This isn’t even taking into consideration that I wouldn’t have enough money to support ourselves once I graduated. The lowest amount I could afford to get would be around $16/hr. I’m 36 years old so the thought of working at Best Buy for $10/hr for a year or two before things start looking up doesn’t fill me with much enthusiasm, especially since I really don’t have it too bad right now.

Would an online school be the way to go? Thanks for any help!
Bruce

Comments

• Options
    How about leaving all the personal details out of it and just asking what people here think of getting a bachelor’s degree online? I have searched the forums but I didn't see anyone give their opinion of how employers viewed them. I fear that with an online degree and a bunch of certs I'll be looked at like I'm afraid to interact with people.

I tried to get in touch with Phoenix College and was given an "advisor" but when I sent all my questions in an email he told me he needed to discuss it with my over the phone. I didn't call back because it seemed like it would be more of a sales pitch than giving advice.

My local university (Wisconsin) has some distance learning programs but nothing of interest to me. But I still wonder about doing something with a real university so that I could at least say I went to a real school. Would this help?

If I sounded a little spoiled in my original question, I'd just like to say, yeah, I think I am. But I have since redone my budget and came out with a way to possibly work for $10 for a year or two. But this and college I'm not so sure about yet.

Thanks,
    Bruce
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After speaking with a couple employers today it appears that some have absolutely no confidence in any online degrees.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I'm currently looking into Online Degrees for a Master's program, since I'll be graduating in less than a year. There is one in Boston that looks promising, but no one has called me yet... icon_rolleyes.gif

However, I think an online program would work more with a Masters degree than a Bachelors, due to the fact that a lot of work in Masters degrees is research oriented. If I can find a school close by, I will opt for it rather than an online degree. However, there aren't THAT many universities that offer a degree in Information Security.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've always thought about this and I just don't see how you can learn anything doing school "online". Now I don't want to sound arrogant towards the idea, but it seems that you need some hands on lectures by a professor in a real classroom environment. I remember when I went to college and I couldn't of made it through without some personal interraction (Face to Face) with my professor in office hours as well as meeting with fellow students.

I have also heard that a lot of employers do not look at online degrees as showing a good knowledge of a particular area. But I'm no expert, that is all coming from people I know and when you hear something through the grapevine you just don't know whether you can believe it or not. Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    What about night classes at a local college or something?
  • Options
    hc2abhc2ab Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't seemed to have much experience in the IT field as your message suggested.

So best thing you can do is probably get any entry level job and pick up cert on the way and try to move up from there.
  • Options
    I think that's his problem. He can't accept an entry-level job due to financial needs, so he was asking if a degree would help bring in more money to start out. That's what I read anyway. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I think if you couple your online degrees with technical certs like MCSE, CCNA, CCNP etc, then you'll be fine.

My friend works at this company in Atlanta for around 60K and he actually got his degree from an online university that is also not very popular. Phoenix and the like are actually very popular so they mean more than something like Fredrick Taylor University (ever heard about it?). But on the bright side, his technical certifications could fill this page.

And he's not the only person I know with the same case. So I guess to sum it up: Online degree + technical certifications = job.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    So I guess to sum it up: Online degree + technical certifications = job

Take that advice and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out in my situation!

I keep trying different paths thinking I will end up somewhere only to end up where I started. I really want to know if I'll have any road blocks up ahead before I get too far. I'm especially worried hearing complaints here about paper techs, thinking that an online degree may be considered only as a more rounded version of the same thing. I was hoping, of course, that with a degree, regardless where it came from would fulfill that qualification. I know far too many people with real degrees that have learned nothing. I, for one, was really dissapointed with my classes and some of the teachers at the technical school I went to and thought maybe I should do it different this time. After all, studying for the A+ and now the Net+, I feel I'm actually learning something. I can't wait to move on to the harder subjects - like reading a great, long novel - the plot thickening with each chapter...

I've gone over my budget again and again and there's really no way I can go to a real school while making $10/hr. Even part time would be too much. I think the only way to do it would be to keep working my present job and do it online (in a hotel every night) if I'm going to go this route.

Decisions, decisions... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Thanks again,
    Bruce
  • Options
    stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    Have you conidered student loans? You don't have to repay until 6 months after graduation, you can even defer the payments for even longer if need be. This would free up some money for lab and cert material to use during college; if you can multitask that much icon_wink.gif .
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    There are several good online schools out there. You just need to do your research. I have sat through all kinds of classes and I can tell you that I have had more work to complete in online courses than I did in traditional classes. You cannot hide in the back of an online course. You have to contribute or you fail. The employers that have issues with them, probably do not know anything about some of them. They probably went to college right after high school, and feel that everyone else should do the same. I would have more faith in an adult learner that went to college online, after working 40+ hours a week, and taking care of their family than I would with a knucklehead that spent four years worth of mommy and daddy's money, drunk.

I feel that everyone should go back to school, whether it is online or traditional. If you can take classes at night at a local college, then go for it. I just wanted to finish my degree sometime within the next 10 years.

This is just my opinion....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    shadeedshadeed Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You better believe that an online degree holds weight in the IT field.
    If you feel that your time and money was wasted in obtaining that degree then give it to me and I'll gladly make $100,000 --thanks!
    Taking over the IT world...one cert at a time.