Options

New PC Choices

dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
It's that time again to buy a new primary PC for my home, and would like to hear opinions from the forum. I really would like to know what your experience is with different manufacturers. I have used Dells for the past 10 years, and have found them to be reliable, but wonder if I could get the same performance/reliability out of another brand, say Systemax or other similar to that.
Just for info, the PC is not used for any real cpu-intensive stuff on a normal basis, but I would like to play the occasional FPS game, webcam app, etc..

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dorawe wrote: »
    It's that time again to buy a new primary PC for my home, and would like to hear opinions from the forum. I really would like to know what your experience is with different manufacturers. I have used Dells for the past 10 years, and have found them to be reliable, but wonder if I could get the same performance/reliability out of another brand, say Systemax or other similar to that.
    Just for info, the PC is not used for any real cpu-intensive stuff on a normal basis, but I would like to play the occasional FPS game, webcam app, etc..

I am really big on Lenovo. They have a refurbish website and a return site. (Companies buy to many of a certain type of computer and return a few). Usually they go through vendors like Compucom.

Anyway I have nothing but great things to say about Lenovo. 400 can get you into a base machine.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll give them a look. Anyone else have suggestions?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    is it just home use or are ya gonna do gaming/lab work/vms

for stuff like browsing and email with some office stuff i tend to go dell

other stuff i use

iBUYPOWER: High Performance Custom Gaming Computers and Laptops
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    I went through this about 6 months ago, and for the life of me, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a pre-made system. I've always been the type to build exactly what I want, and save a little in the process. The machines I build tend to hold up very well, and ive had very few issues with them. Im particular to certain brands and manufactures, in regards to parts, and they tend to never let me down.
  • Options
    is it just home use or are ya gonna do gaming/lab work/vms

for stuff like browsing and email with some office stuff i tend to go dell

other stuff i use

iBUYPOWER: High Performance Custom Gaming Computers and Laptops

I had read a couple of bad reviews for these, so I kinda dropped them off my list of potentials. They could have been one-offs, but I like to see happy customers.........
  • Options
    I went through this about 6 months ago, and for the life of me, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a pre-made system. I've always been the type to build exactly what I want, and save a little in the process. The machines I build tend to hold up very well, and ive had very few issues with them. Im particular to certain brands and manufactures, in regards to parts, and they tend to never let me down.

I thought about this as well, but after punching in the numbers on a ground-up build, the price is almost the same as a custom-build from the others. But you are right, you will get exactly what you want, and none of the fluff.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□

Same here.

I build my own and have since the early 90s. The only thing I've purchased was a laptop from HP.

My old Pentium from way back in the 90s still boots and works. Win95 FTW!

I just feel a lot more comfortable building my own. I decide what goes in and what quality it is. Right now I'm still running fairly strong with my Q9550@3.4 w/ 8 GB RAM and a GTX260. I think I'll upgrade the GTX260 to a GTX570 later this year. I now use a 28" monitor @ 1920x1200 and sometimes the 260 just doesn't quite cut it (Metro 2033).
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    ok, can you suggest a good vendor to get the parts to build one. Something like tigerdirect?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For my home PC I also have an iBUYPOWER machine, it's been a fantastic computer.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ok, can you suggest a good vendor to get the parts to build one. Something like tigerdirect?

The 2 best places to buy from is either newegg.com or amazon.com. I have bought most of my parts through amazon lately cause they have better pricing and free shipping on just about everything where as newegg is not always free shipping. I think amazon packages better as well.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

depending on where you live you can goto a tigerdirect store and look at the parts

building is always a nice way but you also have to factor in os cost ... unless you use linux
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179

www.newegg.com
    www.mwave.com

Those will get you started. I built my complete system from newegg last time. Tigerdirect is also a good place, just make sure you aren't getting referb stuff when you think you are getting new. They don't always make it the most obvious.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218

I've been using newegg.com for 10 years. Never had a problem with the ordering process.

If you use them, sort your selection by rating or by top sellers to see what everyone else is using - and read the feedback. Doing that, you know you'll get what you want.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Personally, I buy my computer parts usually from Fry's or Microcenter. Online would be newegg.com or amazon.com.

What is your budget?
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    looking to spend $1200-$1500 on the system
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Another vote for newegg.com

You get geek points for building your own box, but it's almost always cheaper to buy it prebuilt from a big manufacturer. Here is a nice hybrid solution: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! DIY combos on newegg will be a little cheaper than buying each part individually, but you still get to pick what parts go in your new box and put it together yourself.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pre-built i'd recommend HP, Dell, and Lenovo.

If you custom build newegg.com has my loyalty

Some people might say brand doesn't mean anything because each brand has high end machines and low end machines (made out of cheaper material) and everything come down which model it is.
    To a certain point I agree but I do find some brands overall to be more reliable than others.

If you do decide to build custom built some of the brands i'd recommend are:
    Motherboard - ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI
    RAM - CORSAIR, G.SKILL (I hear OCZ and Crucial are good but I haven't tried them yet)
    Video card - From my understanding almost every video card brand is good, but ASUS, EVGA, GIGABYTE, MSI, SAPPHIRE, XFX seem to be the most popular
    Hard Drive - Western Digital, Seagate
    Power supply - CORSAIR, Thermaltake, anything 80 plus certified
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Well, I decided to go with a Dell. My current Dell system lasted me 10+ years (as you can see I don't feel the need to be on the bleeding edge of technology). Here is what I went with:

Intel Core I7-2600 (8MB Cache, 3.4Ghz)
    12GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM (1333Mhz) 4 DIMMS
    1.5 TB SATA II, 3GB/s, 7,200 rpm, 32MB cache
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5

The only thing that bugs me is that the power supply is 350w. If I encounter problems, that'll be the first thing to get swapped out.
  • Options
    Well, I decided to go with a Dell. My current Dell system lasted me 10+ years (as you can see I don't feel the need to be on the bleeding edge of technology). Here is what I went with:

The only thing that bugs me is that the power supply is 350w. If I encounter problems, that'll be the first thing to get swapped out.

How much does this system cost?? With what OS??
    RAM might be overkill, especially when you can upgrade it later at a much cheaper price than Dell. Only reason for that much RAM is if you will be running a lot of VM's. But for gaming, 6gb is enough.

Class taking:

• Options
    I chose Windows 7 Home Premium, and with all of the other options I put in, it pushed just over $1400 with tax. I do use VM on occasion, mostly for training for new certs, but this box isn't going to do anything really heavy duty. I got it through EPP, so I don't know what the difference in price would be without that discount...probably not that much.
  • Options
    I chose Windows 7 Home Premium, and with all of the other options I put in, it pushed just over $1400 with tax. I do use VM on occasion, mostly for training for new certs, but this box isn't going to do anything really heavy duty. I got it through EPP, so I don't know what the difference in price would be without that discount...probably not that much.

Okay cool, your rig seems very capable of heavy duty work tho! Enjoy your new system :D

Class taking:

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Yikes. A cpu with HT that you likely won't use and 12GB of memory you likely won't use isn't close to bleeding edge for you? I guess that's alright if you don't plan to replace it for another 10 years though. ;)

Good choice on Home Premium though. Some of my gaming buddies throw down extra money on Pro and Ultimate having no use for the extra features. I think they just pay for the title and don't admit it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I guess that's alright if you don't plan to replace it for another 10 years though. ;)

Good choice on Home Premium though. Some of my gaming buddies throw down extra money on Pro and Ultimate having no use for the extra features. I think they just pay for the title and don't admit it.

That's exactly what I want, I don't want to be shelling out every 3-4 years because the machine I bought is a slug. And Home Premium will do what I need, I also have friends that'll pay for Pro or Ultimate just to say they have it.....and won't have a clue as to what to do with it.