Study Materials used?

steppinthraxsteppinthrax Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
What type of materials did you guys use or recomend, also what are the general study times?

Does the date of the study material matter, most of what I"m using is 2008? I'm concerned I will use it and find the exam is talking about material which wasen't on the study material

I'm using CompTia Security+ Deluxe, but is seem to be a hard read and very wordy???

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What type of materials did you guys use or recomend, also what are the general study times?

Does the date of the study material matter, most of what I"m using is 2008? I'm concerned I will use it and find the exam is talking about material which wasen't on the study material

I'm using CompTia Security+ Deluxe, but is seem to be a hard read and very wordy???
    The exam is based of 2008 objectives. So any book pertaining to it and published from and after 2008 will do. I'd Say 95% of people here rave about Darril Gibson's security+ book. New sec+ objectives come out December of this year i believe. I'm going to wait for that.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took a computer security class as part of my IT degree at the local community college. I then signed up for the test and used Darril Gibson's Security+ book to help prepare me for the test.
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used Darril Gibson's book with a week of study time for the test. It's a good book - I didn't get as high a score I was hoping for and there were some questions that I literally had no idea what was being asked (I think this is a CompTIA failure though - this test seems to be particularly bad with strange wording of questions), but it was enough for a pass and so I recommend it.
  • steppinthraxsteppinthrax Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Souljacker wrote: »
    I used Darril Gibson's book with a week of study time for the test. It's a good book - I didn't get as high a score I was hoping for and there were some questions that I literally had no idea what was being asked (I think this is a CompTIA failure though - this test seems to be particularly bad with strange wording of questions), but it was enough for a pass and so I recommend it.

Does anybody have a PDF version of Darril's book, this seems to be very popular. I have 2 books I bought. Including the passport (mike meyers)
  • focusingfocusing Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    Does anyone know if there are studying material for the 2011 version of Security +? Of if there's a difference in the tests?

Also, I am interested in taking A+ and Network + .....anyone suggest a specific order I should test first? I am just beginning to study and trying to obtain advice and valid study materials for each.

I thank you in advance.
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    focusing wrote: »
    Hello,
    Does anyone know if there are studying material for the 2011 version of Security +? Of if there's a difference in the tests?

Also, I am interested in taking A+ and Network + .....anyone suggest a specific order I should test first? I am just beginning to study and trying to obtain advice and valid study materials for each.

I thank you in advance.

Considering the new test hasn't even been made yet, I would suggest you either wait until next year or go with the current objectives.
  • dan101dan101 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's my two cent's

1)Mike Meyers
    2)Darryl Gibsons
    3)Exam Cram (short and to the point)
    4)proprofs.com (Free, but is it updated?) short and less wordy
    5)Preplogic Videos

This is in not any correct order, but found these resources very good and informative. I find the Security+ exam is more theory or concept based than practical based type exam, not like the A+ or Network+ exam, which I have passed successfully. Will challenge it sometime in February 2011. Cryptography is the most complex concept of them all.

hope this helps
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Like many posters before, and many to come no doubt, I too share the positive experiences gained from Gibson's book.

It is very easy to read, and actually enjoyable to read! It boasts 100% coverage of the '08 objectives etc etc, and if you get the kindle version (be it kindle for PC or normal) it is very affordable.

It was my sole source of study material for the exam, and I passed it first try with an 833. It does help though if you have some experience in the field, that way some of the more challenging domains is cryptography, but if you have experience it shouldn't be much of a drama - or wiki it!

My job is a heavy mix of security and crypto so I found much of the content fairly easy to digest and understand.

Downside to DG's book is that it doesn't necessarily prepare you for the way CompTIA word the questions. I found them to be quite strange and at some points difficult to understand where they were going.

Thats my 2c though! DG's book is definitely worth a read!
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    1) Darril Gibson's book
    2) TestOut/Labsim
    3) CBT Nuggets (didn't really need them)
    4) 1 month study time
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    DG's book is all you need to pass. Anything additional will be icing on the cake. I would suggest other practice questions to prepare for CompTIA's weirdly worded questions. DG's practice questions are too clear, concise, and straightforward. :D
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
    I thank you for your response and input! I have the Comptia Security + book and now I will purchase Darril Gibson's book.

:)
    Thank you all for your response! icon_lol.gif