Options

Laid off again sheesh

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
More like "WTF".

Got a call from my PM yesterday. He said "let me conference you in", oh hell I already knew what was going to happen. Blah blah over budget we are letting a few of you go. I know I telecommute but sheesh at least can us one by one not in a group lol.

And what pisses me off is they are "over budget" which we kind of figured out when people were getting flak for over time. So why the heck did you tell me "name your price" during the hiring process? I figured the project was five years (yeah right) but come to find out they over hired IT Security people so they could get other projects based on the "look at our talent pool".

Last week I hear on our daily conference call that corporate was setting up a local shop. Some of the employees on the project were local to this facility. WARNING SIGN!

Second warning is I hear them talking about cubicles, I ask "um what cubicles? What is this for?" I get told its for the local workers. A few of us were external remote employees.

I was thinking "well I will at least finish my current project which will end in July. No biggie got plenty of time to refresh some basic skills and start looking towards summer time.

Nope three freaking months after they entice me away from my job but its no fault but my own, I took the risk and lost.

So I am back to drawing outlines to figure out my options. Figuring out what skills I need to brush up on and start calling back the recruiters I was ignoring since I thought I had a job at least for a couple of years.

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    ....and no chance of drawing unemployment having only 3 months there. Makes those government I.T. jobs look rather enticing! Sorry you lost your job, but this could be a big opportunity at the same time.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    You can still get unemployment, it'll take into account his previous employment too.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    You can still get unemployment, it'll take into account his previous employment too.

Yeah when I was filling out the forms online it asked for previous employment history.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.....

Good Luck with your renewed job search. Hit it hard. icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    More like "WTF".

Got a call from my PM yesterday. He said "let me conference you in", oh hell I already knew what was going to happen. Blah blah over budget we are letting a few of you go. I know I telecommute but sheesh at least can us one by one not in a group lol.

And what pisses me off is they are "over budget" which we kind of figured out when people were getting flak for over time. So why the heck did you tell me "name your price" during the hiring process? I figured the project was five years (yeah right) but come to find out they over hired IT Security people so they could get other projects based on the "look at our talent pool".

Last week I hear on our daily conference call that corporate was setting up a local shop. Some of the employees on the project were local to this facility. WARNING SIGN!

Second warning is I hear them talking about cubicles, I ask "um what cubicles? What is this for?" I get told its for the local workers. A few of us were external remote employees.

I was thinking "well I will at least finish my current project which will end in July. No biggie got plenty of time to refresh some basic skills and start looking towards summer time.

Nope three freaking months after they entice me away from my job but its no fault but my own, I took the risk and lost.

So I am back to drawing outlines to figure out my options. Figuring out what skills I need to brush up on and start calling back the recruiters I was ignoring since I thought I had a job at least for a couple of years.

Im sorry to hear you got shafted like that. Many quality people will be this year. I hope you get a break on the job search. My only advice is to start looking everyday now and try to start something new before the three months is up as a gap in employment will become more deadly to candidates as the year advances. There will be many people looking for work..
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    More like "WTF".

Sorry to hear that man. Good luck on your search, keep us posted
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry to hear this. From what I remember that was like a dream job for you. icon_sad.gif

I'm sure with your resume you will pick up something soon :)
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Damn that sucks man. CSC did that to me a few years ago. Was a contractor for a year, became a permanent employee, then got laid off 2 months later. What really sucked was that had I stayed contract I would have stayed employed because contractors were paid out of a different budget.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jtoast wrote: »
    Damn that sucks man. CSC did that to me a few years ago. Was a contractor for a year, became a permanent employee, then got laid off 2 months later. What really sucked was that had I stayed contract I would have stayed employed because contractors were paid out of a different budget.

Sometimes they want you to go permanent to save on the contracting fees. They then jettison you before you have been permanent long enough to get severance benefits. Similarly permanent staff leave and come back the next day on contract rates.

I recall a good guy I knew who did that as the offer was on the table by the company he had loyally worked for for years, they did this to a number of people.

The money was good for three months then he got canned along with the rest. No severance. Business is business.
  • Options
    Yeah I think I might take a hard long look at where my career is or was going and maybe take a step sideways or down or whatever to get back into the more technical side of things. The wife and I looked over the finances and I can take a pretty large pay cut and we will be fine. So I think I am going to take this opportunity to get something to bring some money in and get back to doing labs with VM machines. I figure I can get back into sys admin work and my security background will make myself more valuable to potential employers.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe they realized how much time you were spending on online forums? ;)

That sucks though. I might be able to help you out if you're willing to move down to Baton Rouge, but it may not be the salary you're looking for. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.