Options

On to the next set of interviews

millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
Well I didnt land my dream Cisco job, but yesterday I got a call from a local company I submitted a resume to over a month ago. Interviewed with the HR lady, had her laughing and created a little rapport.

She liked me enough to schedule another interview with their Sr. Sys Admin. I just got off the phone interview with him, went pretty darn good, said he's going to talk with the HR lady and get an on site interview setup.

I don't really want this job as Systems Administrator is a step back from Network Engineer, but hey with $140 bucks left in my pocket and facing eviction and the possibility of having to get a McJob I'll take what I can get.

Phone interview questions were pretty easy.

Q: What kind of VPN's have you setup and what hardware?
A:IPSec with PIX/ASA/ Sonicwall, limited Netscreen experience but have done deployments before.
Q:What windows server operating systems have you worked with? A:Server2000/2003, CentOS 5.1, Redhat 5.1
Q:What desktop platforms are you familiar with?
A: XP/Vista/Win7
Q:What antivirus platforms have you worked with and how did you deploy to the clients?
A:Symantec Anti-Virus Enterprise Edition, push to clients listed in AD, manually install and join to server on 'problem computers'
Q:What backup software are you familiar with?
A: Veritas / Symantec Backup Exec, + Windows Backup
Q:What network monitoring tools have you used and why?
A: PRTG and various others, worked for a company did streaming events needed to monitor network performance.
Q: Whats your experience with Ghost.
A: Used ghost a lot as an additional form of backup for our servers, also used it many times for small server deployments.
Q: Have you ever did active directory migration before?
A: Yes had to do several of those migrating from Server 2000/2003, gotta prep the domain with the microsoft tool, yadda yadda.
Q: What switches are you familiar with and how have you implemented them?
A: Cisco Catalyst switches both L2/L3, very familiar with the CLI. Also worked with Force10 S-Series switches. bla bla

All in all I answered all the questions spot on, he expanded upon each one probing a little further since both him and HR lady admitted they were using a staffing agency to find potential employee and they all sucked balls.

Well looks like I will get getting another in person interview. Time to bedazzle another potential employer. Though once again, Sys Admin seems a step back to me from Network Engineer :\
Currently Reading:
CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the successful interviewing so far. Surprised they were asking about Ghost. I'd hate going back to ghosting PCs (performed lit. thousands of them in past jobs).
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Might not be your dream job, but I could not have qualified for that job as well as you did. bowing.gif And like you said before, this is WAAAAYYYY better than McDonalds!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You never know though, it could turn out to be something stellar as well. Anything is better than McDonalds ya know. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Congrats on the successful interviewing so far. Surprised they were asking about Ghost. I'd hate going back to ghosting PCs (performed lit. thousands of them in past jobs).

Ghosting was created by the Devil.