Options

Is there Craigslist job hunting guide line?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone have a guide line, or their own rule of thumb they follow, when they apply for jobs on craigslist? Sometimes I see ads with the company name listed in the ad , so it’s a lot easier to apply for that position or job. On the other hand, there are times when there is no company name, no email address, and no phone number? Do I still send my resume? I’m scared of getting roped into some kind of phishing scam. What are everyone’s rules when applying for craigslist jobs? Lately I have sent my resume to the posters(craigslist address), but I’m not sure this is the best practice. Anyone have some good suggestions?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    SpecialladieSpecialladie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    from personal experience, If that ask you to do anything other than come in for an interview after you reply, like go to this site for a credit check or sign up for some free trial for something they are probably a scam. Craigslist has a list of things to be on the lookout for right on the site before the jobs.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've had really good luck with using Craigslist. The only time where I felt sketchy about using it was when I was re-directed to a recruiting firm's website. They wanted my ssn number as well as all my other personal information. I felt like they just wanted to gather a large number of resume's to put in their database. Or it might have just been a total scam. Who knows?
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I generally don't send a copy of my resume until I have had a chance to check out the company. Shotgunning resume's is a good way to not get a job. If it turns out to be a recruiter and they submit you for a job you have already applied for, odds are HR will roundfile both of them to avoid the issue of whether or not a commisision needs to be paid.

If they want a resume on first contact, I delete my contact info and tell them to reply via email if they are interested.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Biggest thing for me is if they list their company name and/or website. If they don't then I won't apply.

Another thing is if there's lots of misspellings and grammar errors in the ads. Would I really like to work for a bunch of morons?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    If someone emails you saying they want to pay you money to configure systems that they will send you.....and they ask you to name your price. SCAM.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    If someone emails you saying they want to pay you money to configure systems that they will send you.....and they ask you to name your price. SCAM.

I've gotten these emails about 10 times concerning laptops
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I was in the job search mode, I would only respond to a craigslist ad if the company's name was listed. Then I would see if the company had a website and a place to apply through there. If there wasn't a place to apply through the website I would call. If there wasn't a company website and no easy find to get the address/phone number through google, then I would just ignore the post and move on.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I read one that said "5+ years exp in Windows Server 2008."

It's like wtf, the year is on the name of the product.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)