Options

Monitor packets per second

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
I was thinking about this while in the shower today...

Is there anyway to monitor packets per second via SNMP or at all with any tool/protocol?

Reason why I ask is that we have a 7606 in production, it has pretty low CPU usage but that doesn't really tell me how much is being pushed through.

I'm not sure monitoring BW is really accurate either.....

Here's what the datasheet says on 7606
With a forwarding rate of up to 240-Mpps distributed and 480-Gbps total throughput........
I'm not sure what they mean by "distributed"? I assume that the 480 Gbps is the overall total backplane throughput for bandwidth....

But if I wanted to bring a case to upper management to replace the 7606, I'd like to know what it's average PPS it is pushing....is this possible to monitor?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Is there anyway to monitor packets per second via SNMP or at all with any tool/protocol?
    Netflow will give you some indication. Be careful about CPU usage. Monitor CPU usage. Change Netflow versions if its experiencing issues as CPU demand varies depending on version as differing amounts of data are exported.

Netflow as the name implies will be reporting flows and not actual PPS so short lived connections which don't send much will show high number of flows but actually have low PPS. You need to look at the SNMP counters and have knowledge about what actually is being sent on your network to work out a PPS value.
    I'm not sure what they mean by "distributed"?
    DFC will allow distributed forwarding where compatible line cards do the forwarding decisions themselves.
    I assume that the 480 Gbps is the overall total backplane throughput for bandwidth....
    Yes.
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    cisco has none supported ip tool with their IOS
    TTCP . not really monitoring, or what you asked.. but good little tool to measure through put

Using Test TCP (TTCP) to Test Throughput [Asynchronous Connections] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I do have netflow configured, I need to spend more time analyzing the traffic...

It is kinda of interesting though isn't it? Marketing your forwarding rate of packets and yet there's really no way to track them?

Thanks for the link Alan, I'll take a look.....