Options

Books for SQL 2008 and SSRS

staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

with so many books out there and sadly not unlimited funding... Which books do you all choose to buy? Did it turn out to be a 5 star purchase or something that has been cast aside after quick look?

Im going to start my 70-450 soon and at work started to get my hands into the SQL honeypot!

At present i own

SQL Server 2008 Administration in Action: Amazon.co.uk: Rod Colledge: Books

Excellent way to start learning the DBA task sets and prep for 70-432

SQL Server 2008 Administration: Real-World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond Exams 70-432 and 70-450: Amazon.co.uk: Tom Carpenter: Books

Clarified the knowledge learned from Admin in action and propelled it along. Though reading through a couple sections last night i did think its not going to be a great book for passing 70-450 as it seems to mainly cover the 70-432 subject list.

Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes: Amazon.co.uk: Ben Forta: Books

Also found this a few months back when i moved house though not really used it yet.

At present the things i know im going to be doing work wise are: migrating our cluster from 2005 to 2008. Actively monitoring the servers to try and improve performance. Writing SSRS reports and a possibility of setting up replication or mirroring. Backups are moving to DPM 2010 though i can leave them as SQL if i prefer, but either way that will come down to me as well.

With that in mind i think its important to learn:

T-SQL, if this is what i want to do with my career i dont see a point in trying to skip learning it. Its going to come back and bite me in the ass sooner or later!

Learn SSRS which i dont think would possible without learning T-SQL (Correct me im wrong.)

Find ways to improve monitoring/troubleshooting skill set

And finally get passed 70-450.

After browsing around Amazon for a while im thinking of picking up the following. I know Robert has suggested some of these before, anyone else have some thoughts on any of these books or others that they found better!

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Fundamentals PRO-Developer: Amazon.co.uk: Itzik Ben-gan: Books

Help start practising some of the language i want to know back to front! seems a good starting point for some simple to more advanced skills

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Step by Step, Book/CD Package: Amazon.co.uk: Stacia Misner: Books

Looks like lots of labs for learning SSRS from a starters perspective. which is just what i need! I was looking at adding Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Recipes: for Designing Expert Reports Wrox Programmer to Programmer: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Turley, Robert M. Bruckner: Books to the pile, but the pile is already a rather large icon_sad.gif Anyone know if the step by step is just touching the tip of the iceberg and if i really want to get into this stuff i need to read more?

Dynamic Management Views High Performance SQL Server: Amazon.co.uk: Louis Davidson, Tim Ford: Books

DMVs are clear genius.. and i want to know more! this looks a good starting point for kinding out what can be done and maybe i can use a few in work to start monitoring indexs etc.

SQL Server MVP Deep Dives: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Nielsen, Kalen Delaney, Adam Machanic, Kimberly Tripp, Paul Randal, Greg Low: Books

One of those books that looks to good to pass up, lots of awesome writers (going from there blogs articles) and seems to cover a lot of areas i will to learn both for 70-450 and getting the job done at work!

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals Pro - Developer: Amazon.co.uk: Kalen Delaney, Paul S. Randal, Kimberly L. Tripp, Conor Cunningham, Adam Machanic, Ben Nevarez: Books

Suggested to me by Robert it was one i had looked at before and didnt really know what it was going to be about (Is it for devs it is for dba etc).. all the reviews are excellent.

Professional SQL Server 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting: Amazon.co.uk: Christian Bolton, Justin Langford, Brent Ozar, James Rowland-Jones, Steven Wort: Books

in my pile for the same reason as deep drives pretty much. loads of great writers covering topics that look interesting and really advance my learning.

So thats what im looking at getting, what about you!? any advice or suggestions :)

S