Options

internship at first company - again?

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Alright so the first company that I worked for has internships to build computers at the second store they have. I'm not doing anything right now but school work, certifications, and languages.

The history is that I started as an intern there in 06. Came back for another "season" at the company, then I got hired to the company in 06 and I worked there for two years before getting laid off in 08. I got a job at GRCC as a student worker in 09-10. Due to some stupid stuff from the school and budget cuts, I couldn't get my job back at the school.

Would it look bad on the resume to have gone back to the first place of employment for an internship after all these years? I figure that it would help because I would be getting my hands on newer technology than what I did from 06-08. I could be installing windows 7 and ubuntu on the machines. Plus I would get more experience because when I was there, I mostly did warehouse work for my employment.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    If you aren't working right now and it's a paid internship then I would say put some money in your pocket. It could actually look good to some hiring managers that they were willing to bring you back on for a more technical role. I would also think the more recent experience will help.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would do it. It will do nothing but help.

edit: Have you graduated yet? I just noticed that your sig didn't mention whether or not you had. If you have than don't take an internship if you don't have to. Chase after an IT position and keep the internships in the past.
  • Options
    I have graduated. This isn't an unpaid internship and I have to pay to get into it, from what I heard. $50 is the price and it's three months.

I'm actually trying to get the CCNA before I start applying to jobs. I know it's not a smart move but I'm trying to think what would be best. This way I could focus on certifications more. Especially after failing the ICND2 twice.

I looked on the list of people who are doing the internship and there are a few people from pc proschools that have like three certifications. Either MCP, MCSA, and MCSE. With A+, network+ and something else. Some of these people have resume's with experience in cisco, microsoft, or something outside of computers.

So maybe I could meet up with them and do some networking.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    In that case take it! Well you have it you can always be searching for a permanent position.
  • Options
    I'll check more into in on Monday. Plus theres a 2611XM router in the store I wanna check out. I hope it has IOS 12.4 on it.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    LOL! Good luck with this internship!

How are jobs looking in GR?
  • Options
    Depends on the week I guess.

CCNA w/ experience = fair amount
    A+= once in a while
    NOC = rare!
    helpdesk w/experience = fair amount

You lived in GR for a while, right??
    Booya!!
  • Options
    Muskegon, MI actually.
  • Options
    Oh mybad. I had you confused with someone else on here. I check Muskegon at times and I find less jobs there :/. I figure I could stay with some family members over there or something.
    Booya!!