Options

Building My Cisco Box (GNS3 with real switches), and I need some guidance.

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
First, I am going to post this here since this forum section is really active, and just for the sake of art, for those who have an interest with GNS3 because of money issue this thread might help.

I am doing this route because I can't afford to buy real routers anymore; plus I am going to need some switches to. Also, the heat and electric bill are going up, so I want to reduce them as well.

My plan is spend $500+ on a box for now, then buy some real switches. Then somewhere in the future if I can afford it, I will get some real routers.

My current real Cisco equipments are these:
Routers:
3x 2620, 1x 2620XM, 1x 2511
Modules:
5x WIC's, 1x NM-8A/S
Switches:
2x 2950EI 12ports, 1x 2950 24ports
Rack:
Skeletek 16U

These real equipments will be part of my lab as well. Since the weather is still cold, I can just open the window to lessen the heat.

OK...
This what I have in mind, my GNS3 box is going to be custom build because it is cheaper than buying a pre-built system.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz
BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
iStarUSA D-300-PFS Black Steel 3U Rackmount Server Case

About the HDD, I have a spare one that came from my netbook, so HDD it is not a problem.

As for my OS, I will be using Ubuntu 10.10 x64 for this build. Since I noticed that under Linux GNS3 runs smoother compare to Windows. And does not requires a lot of RAM, and CPU processes. (I tried this on my netbook, and I ran five routers and the CPU was at 89% ave.)

However, I have no idea how to create a loopback adapter in Ubuntu, so that I can connect my real switches to GNS3.
Does any one know how to create a loopback in Ubuntu?

About the NIC's, I don't know which one to get. As far as I know, the NIC got to have 802.1q support.
Do you have any recommendations? The NIC's got to be compatible with Ubuntu.
Also, from what I read online (can't find the link anymore), the NIC's ports don't have labels, such as eth01, eth02, etc, under Ubuntu. Is that true?

In additional to all that, I would use this build to be part of my Cisco voice, and routing and switching.
Therefore, what else do I need to purchase in the future?

I am currently working on my CCNA: security, and I am starting to forget some CLI from my CCNA. This build will become my lab from CCNA to whatever Cisco studies I touch (will combine all of them). But definitely after CCNA:S, I will go back R&S (CCNP) then CCNA:ICOMM.

I am going to spend 4 hours researching this stuff then will go back to my studies.

I would need a many help as possible for this build, especially from the folks who have done this before. Every little idea/help would help a lot.

Thank you guys in advance,
-thm
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thehourman wrote: »
    However, I have no idea how to create a loopback adapter in Ubuntu, so that I can connect my real switches to GNS3.
    Does any one know how to create a loopback in Ubuntu?
    blindhog.net Linux Bridging for GNS3 LAN communications
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Thanks Mike. I am going to bookmark that.

I put together another build, but this one is Intel based. It is a $74 more, but it is a faster system.

EDIT:
    The blindhog way does not work with 10.10 Ubuntu, I think.
    When I entered the first command (sudo tunctl -t tap0), I got a replay stating "sudo: tunctl: command not found".

Is there anyway to create a loopback?

Thanks
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This build assumes :

1.)you have a spare PCI-E video card
    2.)you don't have to use a rackmount case
    3.)you are willing to gamble a bit

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9996/piciz.png

When you get the cpu, try to unlock the last core and if you're successful, you will get a quad core for the price of a tri core :D and maybe a bit of OCing. If you're not lucky enough and the 4th core is bad then ................ the tri core should still meet your needs :D
  • Options
    impz wrote: »
    This build assumes :

1.)you have a spare PCI-E video card
    2.)you don't have to use a rackmount case
    3.)you are willing to gamble a bit

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9996/piciz.png

When you get the cpu, try to unlock the last core and if you're successful, you will get a quad core for the price of a tri core :D and maybe a bit of OCing. If you're not lucky enough and the 4th core is bad then ................ the tri core should still meet your needs :D
    I am not familiar with AMD, but I would assume that they have that option in the BIOS.
    I did some googling about unlocking that CPU, it requires 890GX chipset. Those mobos are about $120+.
    About overclocking, no I have no plan of overclocking this build since I am going to use the stock heatsink and fan, and the case is too small for a better air cooling. The water cooling is too expensive. Since I prefer to build my own water cooling for a better cooling.
    Therefore, I will use the stock heatsink and fan that comes with the CPU.

I do not have a spare video card, unfortunately.
    The mobo I listed have an onboard video chipset, so I don't need a video card, and save me some power in the long run.
    The reason I went to rackmount case is that I am going to mount that to my Skeletek rack.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not familiar with AMD, but I would assume that they have that option in the BIOS.
    I did some googling about unlocking that CPU, it requires 890GX chipset. Those mobos are about $120+.
    About overclocking, no I have no plan of overclocking this build since I am going to use the stock heatsink and fan, and the case is too small for a better air cooling. The water cooling is too expensive. Since I prefer to build my own water cooling for a better cooling.
    Therefore, I will use the stock heatsink and fan that comes with the CPU.

I do not have a spare video card, unfortunately.
    The mobo I listed have an onboard video chipset, so I don't need a video card, and save me some power in the long run.
    The reason I went to rackmount case is that I am going to mount that to my Skeletek rack.

That mobo I showed you there have the capability to unlock the dormant 4th core altho its a gamble; the 4th core may not always be functional.

As for the graphics you could grab a cheap PCI-E card for around $25

Since you want the rackmount case then you cud always remove the case and PSU that I showed you and use the one you chose b4.

And if you think that 8GB is too much ram then you could always drop it to 4GB which shud cut the price of the ram by about 40%
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    anything and I mean anything you need to know about how to do this look here

7200emu.hacki.at :: Index
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Regarding the lack of tunctl, you're going to need to install a few packages. uml-utilities and bridge-utils.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    Regarding the lack of tunctl, you're going to need to install a few packages. uml-utilities and bridge-utils.

For the non native Ubuntu speaker, that would be 'sudo apt-get install uml-utilities bridge-utils'
  • Options
    bermovick wrote: »
    It figured that out. The reason I couldn't create tunctl is that I was on standard account. So I switched to the root account to install those two packages then after that, followed blindhog again, and it works.
    1. So this is the Linux loopback adapter, right?

2. What about connecting a real switch to the GNS3?
    How do I do that? Do I need loopback for that, or just choose the port of the NIC under the clouds Linux Ethernet NIO?

(This is done in VirtualBox)Please correct me if I'm wrong. I added another cloud just for testing purposes. I went to the cloud configuration, and added the eth0, which is the VirtualBox ethernet connection. The Ubuntu's (Guest) ip address is 192.168.1.11/24, and my PC (host) is 192.168.1.20/24. I configured R1's fa0/1 ip add 192.168.1.254/24. When I connected R1's fa0/1 to the cloud, I can ping my PC (Host), and my real router (my PC's default-gateway).
    Anyways when I connect my real switches to the Ubuntu box, I don't have to create a loopback if I use the same setup I did to the Virtualbox to ping my PC.
    Did I answer my question #2?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you followed the mikej's link above, you should be set. sudo ifconfig should list br0 and tap0 addresses.

Once you add the cloud in GNS3 (which needs to be run with root privs), just go to configure it, and under the NIO TAP tab, just type tap0 and hit add. Once it shows up, click ok and you should be set.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    For my GNS3 server I have the following specs:

Intel Quad Core Q9550
    4 Gig DDR3
    3 Quad port NICS (Adaptec ANA-62044)
    Windows XP 64-bit

Been running like a champ for almost 2 years now. I have been able to complete any CCIE R&S lab out on the market with about 20% CPU Utilization max with all protocols running.

Also, if you want some videos on how to setup the connection from GNS3 to your real Cisco switches I have some videos that show you how to do it from scratch located here:

YouTube - CONNECTING_REAL_SWITCHES_TO_GNS3 PART 1

If you need any help, please let me know.
  • Options
    For my GNS3 server I have the following specs:

Intel Quad Core Q9550
    4 Gig DDR3
    3 Quad port NICS (Adaptec ANA-62044)
    Windows XP 64-bit

Been running like a champ for almost 2 years now. I have been able to complete any CCIE R&S lab out on the market with about 20% CPU Utilization max with all protocols running.

Also, if you want some videos on how to setup the connection from GNS3 to your real Cisco switches I have some videos that show you how to do it from scratch located here:

YouTube - CONNECTING_REAL_SWITCHES_TO_GNS3 PART 1

If you need any help, please let me know.
    There is one problem in my case, I will be using Ubuntu 10.10. The thing I'm worried about is the part when you are connecting GNS3 to the real switches.

Also, I ordered one of those 62044 adapter, and the iStarUSA case.

I might be asking you too much for this, but I am going to ask anyways. Can you test your adapter 62044 under Ubuntu 10.10 x64 desktop and test if it works like in XP.
    Because in XP it is really easy to connect to the cloud (real switches), based on your videos you just chose the right interface port in the clouds configuration.
    In Ubuntu is different, I think the only way to see the NIC's ports is by using the ifconfig. Also, I read some forum threads that some of adapters weren't label right in Ubuntu.

Were you remotely connected to your GNS3 box?

Thanks
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    There is one problem in my case, I will be using Ubuntu 10.10. The thing I'm worried about is the part when you are connecting GNS3 to the real switches.

Also, I ordered one of those 62044 adapter, and the iStarUSA case.

I might be asking you too much for this, but I am going to ask anyways. Can you test your adapter 62044 under Ubuntu 10.10 x64 desktop and test if it works like in XP.
    Because in XP it is really easy to connect to the cloud (real switches), based on your videos you just chose the right interface port in the clouds configuration.
    In Ubuntu is different, I think the only way to see the NIC's ports is by using the ifconfig. Also, I read some forum threads that some of adapters weren't label right in Ubuntu.

Were you remotely connected to your GNS3 box?

Thanks

yeah, i was remoted in via gotomypc. Not sure about Ubuntu, never really got into the different Operating Systems. I need them for one thing and that is it. Windows XP 64-bit is sufficient enough to run any Cisco Certification Lab via GNS3. Maybe someone else can help chime in and help you out on how they use Ubuntu to connect GNS3 to real switches. Or someone could make a video on it :)