Options

Retirement database cracked, does the company have to buy credit protection?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So word has quietly leaked to me a public sector company I used to work for had their online retirement database attacked and cracked, twice.

This happened in late December and the company is now getting around to letting the victims know.

I haven't got my letter yet, however a few of my x-co-workers have. In the letter, there is no mention of the company purchasing credit monitoring.

I looked around online for some sort of law requiring them to purchase credit monitoring. I wasn't able to find anything. Is ther any federal law that forces them to purchase credit monitoring?

The reason I ask is that this is the 2nd time this has happened to me. The first time, I did get credit monitoring for one year, at the company's cost.

Thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't know if it's a law or not, it should be. I think it's mostly just the right thing to do, kind of a "Our bad, sorry we screwed up" measure. I'd keep an eye on your stuff though even if they don't.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Is ther any federal law that forces them to purchase credit monitoring?

No, but if they were sued and settled, or lost the case, then the terms of the settlement could require this.

MS