Options

Routersim.com

BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all -

I came across the site routersim.com today and was wondering if anyone has any experience using this product? I am speaking mainly about the CCNA labs/simulator.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,

-Samurai
Always studying for something!

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I used their software back in 2005 when I was going for my CCNA for the first time. Although limited, it did seem to do the job.

I'd imagine they have made their product a lot better today since we're talking 5-6 years worth of development time.

But I can't vouch for their product today.....
  • Options
    BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply.

Would you, or anyone else, recommend another simulator that you've used? Say Boson's Netsim or anything else?

Thanks again.
    Always studying for something!
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I've tried Netsim back in the days and didn't really like it.

I think both products offer demos so give them a try and see which one you like best....
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd suggest real hardware -- but Boson NetSim is the best of the Simulators.

Dynamips is an emulator that will execute IOS images compiled for routers that run MIPS processors. It's GREAT for routing, but is poor for switching (with either a built in simulated switch or a simulated switch module). Plus you need access to a supported IOS image -- and there may be software license issues if you use it outside of your home lab.

Packet Tracer is only available to Cisco Network Academy students -- but some people will suggest you "find" a copy. But even the Academy FAQ states it's an additional resource for their students and doesn't replace the hardware labs. It would get you started for the ICND1 exam (for the CCENT) but doesn't have everything you would need for the CCNA (either the single CCNA or the ICND1/ICND2 combo).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!