Options

how to bring up to a manager that I'm leaving...

lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
So here's the scoop, I left a good desktop admin job to move to a different city expecting to move up fairly quickly from helpdesk into a system admin position. Apart from the job, I also wanted to move to the particular city primarily for family reasons.

So I went and moved but I knew immediately the job was not what it seemed to be. It is a call center customer service type where all you do is nothing but gather info and just pass it along to another team, totally opposite from the interview of them wanting a "troubleshooting" guy. I mean the company itself is great and I know being in a system admin position would be a good thing here at this company but since Im in the low grunt level job, it would be impossible to move up right away and may take quite a while to get noticed, etc.

Now my old job actually is hiring for a system admin job and my old boss said they would give me the job knowing my work ethic, my techinical experience and strive, etc.

The thing is, I've only had this current job for 4 months, and their policy from HR is 6 months. How would you guys go about talking to my manager about leaving? I was thinking of whipping out the brute, no beating around the bush "this job stinks, this wasn't what I signed up for, no troubleshooting, this job has no upward mobility, I also got a better position at my old company, etc" or should I be sincere about it?

I still want to be back at this company, just when the time is right when I actually do have sys admin experience and not coming in as a helpdesk tech.
Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    HR policy? What is this policy for?

Unless you're under contract, just give two weeks to your manager and HR.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just put my 2 weeks notice into my company on Tuesday, so I just went through something similar.

I would just do what is best for you. I also would not burn any bridges in the process.

Just give a sincere notice. You never know who you may be working for/with in the future.
  • Options
    DV27DV27 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think what you've said is perfect for telling your Boss that you're leaving. The Job you accepted the position for, and the Job in reality are two different things. You can approach it from the personal side and say that you're not happy and you would appreciate being able to leave without any issue, or be a bit forceful and say that you intend to leave as soon as you can - it depends on your relationship with your boss and your own feelings - but these would be the two paths I'd take if I was in your situation.

At the end of the day, Business is Business, people come and go - the fact you've been there four months shows that you have shown persistence. I've seen plenty of people leave after a day and in a most undignified way.
  • Options
    forkvoid wrote: »

Well from what my manager told me during my interview, they require someone that comes in to stay for 6mo before "transferring" around, but would "like" a year out of you.

I don't know how I even lasted for a month here let alone 6mo/a year more! I'm just not sure if that 6mo thing they told me was just for transferring or also applied for new hires in general. I just don't want to burn any bridges since I do want to be back with the company. I'm just afraid since I've only been here for 4 months, in the future they will be nodding their head as to why I only stayed for 4 months.

Isn't usually most companies want 3 months?
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    I don't see a need to give your boss any explanation. Just tell him you're moving because of family reasons or personal reasons.

If you tell him that your current job didn't meet your expecations or what you were promised during the interview, he might give you false promises and waste your time; specially that you made up your mind already.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I don't see a need to give your boss any explanation. Just tell him you're moving because of family reasons or personal reasons.

If you tell him that your current job didn't meet your expecations or what you were promised during the interview, he might give you false promises and waste your time; specially that you made up your mind already.

Agreed, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. It's a job, not a dating relationship. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    forkvoid wrote: »

2 weeks and out. It's that simple. If they have a policy of 6 months to a year it's probably because they have a hard time getting people to work in your current position. Probably because they don't pay enough and the job sucks.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I believe the transferring would be if you were to move around internally. Write a nice resignation letter and thank them for everything and give them 2 weeks and call it good.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    That HR policy is for internal moves. Quite common, so they don't get someone coming in for a crap job and then getting preferential treatment for another job as an internal candidate right away. It's applies ONLY to that company's internal moves.

In the majority of states, employment is at-will and you are under no obligation to give any reason or advance notice for leaving, and likewise for the employer to you. Only reason people try to stay with a company for a certain amount of time before jumping ship is so their resume doesn't look terrible by hopping around. Two-weeks notice is a courtesy to the employer.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Free country dude, you don't want to be there walk away. Done deal. If you like the guy enough let him know you felt mislead in the interview, and this is not the job described. Done deal.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Agreed, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. It's a job, not a dating relationship. icon_wink.gif

I'll third this one!

Just give proper notice. Keep it simple. Say you are leaving the area and only elaborate if needed (and it likely isn't needed, just a trap ;) ).

As stated, unless you are under contract...standard resignation should apply. If you are under contract, find out the consequences for breaking the contract and deal with it from this point.

I suspected too (as mentioned already) that it is more likely an internal policy, rather than something prohibiting an employee from moving on to a different career path elsewhere.

Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Just sit down with your manager, explain to him that you don't feel like you're a good fit with the company, you don't see a long term career there, and you'd like to give them the opportunity to get the proper person for the position. Then hand him your notice.

Any good manager will appreciate your honesty.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lenell86 wrote: »
    Well from what my manager told me during my interview, they require someone that comes in to stay for 6mo before "transferring" around, but would "like" a year out of you.

I don't know how I even lasted for a month here let alone 6mo/a year more! I'm just not sure if that 6mo thing they told me was just for transferring or also applied for new hires in general. I just don't want to burn any bridges since I do want to be back with the company. I'm just afraid since I've only been here for 4 months, in the future they will be nodding their head as to why I only stayed for 4 months.

My new employer has a policy that if you quit within 6 months (might be a year) of your initial hire, that they will never hire you back again for any positions. there is also a waiting period before you can transfer to a different job.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would go for "I think we should see other people. It's not you, it's me."

Seriously now, to sum up what has been presented:

1. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck
    2. Free country - go, go, go now!
    3. Up to you to provide a reason to leave. If you decide to do so, be polite and professional. Do not burn bridges
    4. KISS - keep it short and simple
    5. Give 2 weeks
    6. If they really like you they will promise you the world. See steps #1 and #2

Life is short. Why be unhappy?
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    he might give you false promises and waste your time; specially that you made up your mind already.

This will happen! OH, but we were going to move you to the sys admin role in 4 more months! Just hang on!icon_mrgreen.gif
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lenell86 wrote: »

If it is not for you, get out. You are doing yourself and them a favor. If the policy is 6 months or they will not hire you back, what can you do?

Is the job you would be taking a better long-term prospect? Think 3 years. If you go to this new job and stay there three years, where can you go? WOuld you have better prospects then, than you do now? 6 more months at a call center is not going to get you sys admin experience and one in the hand is worth two in the bush... If there were only two companies for whom you could work in your area, then I might worry about this. But, I am sure there are more than two. So go for it.
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    My new employer has a policy that if you quit within 6 months (might be a year) of your initial hire, that they will never hire you back again for any positions. there is also a waiting period before you can transfer to a different job.

Yes this is what I was worried about:/

But I guess just what the other poster put up too, if I were to take a better position at my old company, 3-4years down the road, I will definitely have better opportunities open up than just this company I'm with. By then, I'd have much more open up so I guess I'm not too worried now I guess with burning bridges, there will be better things open up later on once I get sys admin experience;)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Give him a notice of your intention to terminate the employment relationship in writing. Thank him personally for the opportunity. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your manager, so tell him whatever you are comfortable telling him... just be cordial but direct whatever you tell him.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Maybe I missed it, are you packing up and moving back as well?