Options

Dial into Router

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
How many different options are there to dial in to a router if the main WAN circuit is down? I'm trying to brainstorm, but I have only come up with two different things.

ISDN Modem
GSM Modem

I am not too sure how PRIs work with PBXs, I was thinking there might be a way to assign a DID to the PBX and dial in to it then telnet to a router.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    You can install a WIC-1AM into one of the WIC slots on a router, and dial in directly.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    POTS is an archaic but very effective way to dial into network devices since the Telcos must maintain a decent level of redundancy on voice. Setting up a console server with a modem is great for remote access and has saved me on more than one occasion. even if the WAN side isn't down, it's also nice to have that backup if you need to make a major change to the network remotely and something goes haywire. If you're hitting the device via console instead of a WIC or PA card, then you have the potential to bring it back to life with ROMMON if something craps out in the IOS.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    POTS is an archaic but very effective way to dial into network devices since the Telcos must maintain a decent level of redundancy on voice. Setting up a console server with a modem is great for remote access and has saved me on more than one occasion. even if the WAN side isn't down, it's also nice to have that backup if you need to make a major change to the network remotely and something goes haywire. If you're hitting the device via console instead of a WIC or PA card, then you have the potential to bring it back to life with ROMMON if something craps out in the IOS.

I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of one of those console servers could you? I'd appreciate it :)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    We have copper services to each site, just trying to figure a way make it cheaper and deny the site from using our backup modem line for their fax machines.
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    Monkerz wrote: »
    We have copper services to each site, just trying to figure a way make it cheaper and deny the site from using our backup modem line for their fax machines.

The only way to prevent that type of access would be to hard wire the connection from the Telco DeMarc to the modem (provide a single drop allowing only one connection.) The problem I have seen is savvy people simply drop in a splitter and use the line any way.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Options
    Or, like our users, they call a cabling company to extend the modem line to their desk for use with a fax line.

Are there any other technologies out there made for backup access to a router?
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I did the old AUX port connected to an external US Robotics modem / POTS line before. Why not split an existing fax line and have someone on site flip on the modem should you need to dial-in?

I always find that the alarm guys (both fire and security) like to steal dedicated backup lines should they ever have an issue with dialtone.

GSM would be nice but at that point it's probably just cheaper to get a redundant internet connection!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you want a reasonable cost backup line which rules out leased lines and to also avoid POTS so people don't mess with it and use it as a fax or whatever then you're pretty much limited to what you listed in your original post.

An ISDN line should be fairly safe as most people won't know that you need a TA to convert it into a POTS style line.

GSM modems I've found to be so so when you're using it in a data center unless you have the antenna outside of the datacenter. All the racks and equipment just shield the cell signals too much to get a reliable connection. Whenever I'm in the datacenter at work, I have to stand in very specific locations in the room to get signal on my own cell phone.

If you do want to hang the modem off the PBX which is connected via a PRI to the outside world then you can get a card for most of them which will give you multiple POTS interfaces. We use them here for fax lines.