Options

What should i ask for salary wise?

millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
So heres my situation, been out of work for quite a while and the job market is tough here in the bay. I've generally worked contract work for Network Engineer / Systems Engineer. Always billed around 40-60/hr.

Now I've been on many interviews thusfar, unfortunately nothings stuck just yet.

I've got a 3rd onsite interview with a company up here that needs a temp 6 mos Systems Admin with some desktop support but primarily Systems Admin work. Has the potential of going full time.

I can do the work in my sleep it's that easy, will be administering about 200 servers, working alongside their systems administrator. From the progression of the interviews it seems they haven't been interviewing any other candidates.

Now when HR asked what my salary expectations would be I said 35-45k, just threw out a low broad number because, frankly, I've been out of regular work so long I need the income. So I'm filling out the application now and signing the NDA, what should I put as my expected salary. I don't want to overshoot and lose the position.
Currently Reading:
CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide

Comments

• Options
    No thoughts? I'm thinking about just low balling it completely and saying like 35k just to get something going until I find something in engineering. I guess in one respect I'm worried someone might say, hey this guys been doing this for 10 years how come he wants so little? Then again I dont want to overshoot either.
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, what are you willing to work for? You are going to be the one living with the pay.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Well, what are you willing to work for? You are going to be the one living with the pay.

Right now seeing that I'm facing eviction and barely scraping by I'de take just about anything. I mean I wont be happy with 35k, but at the same time it's a hell of a lot more than no income at the moment, and would allow me to get my affairs in order. I just dont want to sell my self short, and ask for too little if there is leeway and I can get more.
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you need the job I wouldn't worry about leeway. I'd ask for what I could live with and hope for the best.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    millworx wrote: »
    So heres my situation, been out of work for quite a while and the job market is tough here in the bay. I've generally worked contract work for Network Engineer / Systems Engineer. Always billed around 40-60/hr.

Now I've been on many interviews thusfar, unfortunately nothings stuck just yet.

I've got a 3rd onsite interview with a company up here that needs a temp 6 mos Systems Admin with some desktop support but primarily Systems Admin work. Has the potential of going full time.

I can do the work in my sleep it's that easy, will be administering about 200 servers, working alongside their systems administrator. From the progression of the interviews it seems they haven't been interviewing any other candidates.

Now when HR asked what my salary expectations would be I said 35-45k, just threw out a low broad number because, frankly, I've been out of regular work so long I need the income. So I'm filling out the application now and signing the NDA, what should I put as my expected salary. I don't want to overshoot and lose the position.

In the UK you would need to be a contract CCIE with experience to charge that rate (60 dollars per hour) Then again US vs UK rates are like apples and pears because you have to pay for healthcare etc which we get anyway due to our taxes. We get treated without medical insurance.

You pitch for what you want. What company x will pay probably sucks. Work for company y if you can find it. Just dont work for company z, they aint paying that kind of rate!
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I was asking myself the same question this morning. I tallied up all bills, food, gasoline, etc....*everything*...we're penny pinchers and I keep it all in a budget spreadsheet, so my numbers are accurate. My household needs $2600/month to survive.

What does your number look like? You can probably multiply your monthly amount by 12 (months in the year) then add in that number with estimated taxes. In my case...

2600*12 + (2600*12)*.24 = 38688

The .24 is for combined federal and state taxes (guestimate)

In my case I have $500 each month from a residual source, so $32,688 is required annually BEFORE taxes from a job. I'm just telling you how I came up with a number to throw at HR people/interviewers asking for salary expectations.

The math is rough, but gives you an idea of what you need.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Research similar positions in your area first and foremost.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a much different situation when you are currently employed vs unemployed. I was outsourced last year and quickly took a job paying a little less than I was used to (which was actually great compared to what others have dealt with). However, I did not sit just resign myself to that position... I still kept looking so that I was in a better position to negotiate salary and found a much better job.

In your situation, I would put what you want, and if they want you they will counter... then you will likely have to accept what they counter with. I would just sell yourself short by giving a low figure to begin with. If they aren't willing to offer a lower counter just because your range was higher than they expected, then they probably aren't that thrilled with you anyhow. That being said, be realistic and reasonable give your situation. If you would really like $60k, maybe throw out a range of $50-55k... maybe they counter with $40k and that is what you accept.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Well, only 3 hours until I go on my third interview with this company! Trying to get my duck in a row here. If not I still have 2 more interviews lined up for tomorrow. Damn... somethings gotta stick!
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck to you mate. I have seen tough times myself, really hope something does stick for you.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Welp, I'm pretty sure I got the interview. Few things they asked if I had any direct experience with, which I have, but it's been so long. Like IIS and MSSQL. But I've worked a lot with the WAMP stack, so I let them know more about with my experience with Apache and MySQL. Tied it in well.

At the end of the interview I got to ask a lot of questions about the company, talked and laughed a bit for about 20 minutes more. (Total interview time was 1.5hrs). The operations manager told me he would love to have me on board, the systems admin said the same thing. As I was walking out he said he was going to have HR give me a call and said see you soon.

So...... I think I got it! Bummer is... lol... they have 200 servers and guess what they are allllll running. NT4!! OMG, this will be a nightmare.
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So you reckon you'd take it? I mean with the prehistoric servers and all...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    So you reckon you'd take it? I mean with the prehistoric servers and all...

Well I've always been fascinated by dinosaurs when I was little. So I reckon I would :D
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    millworx wrote: »
    will be administering about 200 servers, working alongside their systems administrator.

Two guys administering 200 servers? I would say it sounds like you will be getting little sleep.
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    Two guys administering 200 servers? I would say it sounds like you will be getting little sleep.

For real! This is why they need a second admin. Their current sys admin has been with the company since they started in 98, and is so swamped.

Talked quite a bit about their future goals, migration plans, etc. Either way it will be a nightmare, but I enjoy a challenge.

Hoping I get some good news here soon.

Lol... when they said their infrastructure runs on NT4, I actually asked him if he was joking. And he started laughing and said sadly no they weren't.

The operations manager seemed to interview me more than the Sys admin, general questions, not specific drilled down questions. But to gauge a response I guess and see my thought process really. He said even though it's not related to what I will be doing he was super interested in my programming experience, and drilled me hard on that. (Said they should have went with me to program their site rather than who they went with, since apparently the current contractor was lame, and unknowledgeable.") Asked me a ton of SEO questions too.
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like a good opportunity that many would like to have! Best of luck to you.