XP Pro File User Permission Access Across Network, Help?

jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey, Can anyone help me? I am trying to get the file sharing in xp pro to work right. I unchecked use simple file sharing. Now I share a folder and want to give access to some computers on the network, but lock other computers out. My problem is when I set up permission I can only use the users on the machine and not the LAN or other computers in this workgroup that I have set up. My question is how do I set up a folder to be accessed to a user across my network?

Thanks guys.

JDog29

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you given the network users any local rights?

I found that if I made a group "network users" and added those I wanted to have access, it was the quickest and easiest way.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You can't select individual users from a computer other than your own when it is not part of a domain. Each computer maintains its own local user db. This is called decentralized, while in a domain, all users are centralized in a domain.

A workaround is to create the same username and password on every involved machine. I.e. if you create a user USERA with password xxxxx on computerA, share a folder on computerA, and create USERA with password xxxxx on computer B, that USERA will be able to access the shared folder on computerA from computerB (given that you assigned permissions to USERA on computerA).