Options

Hello again everyone

BrandonXBrandonX Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
It was 1/03/2011 when I posted on here that I am going to take the ICND1 in 1 month time. The test date is still intact, but coming very fast. I have finish the video lesson from CBT and on chapter 6 of the Odom ICND1 book.
So far I am very confident on subnetting and about to start running lab using PT along with install SDM on GNS3.
Beside getting hardwares, is there anything else I should be looking at or reading?
Thank,
Brandon
Currently working on:
1) Master in CyberSecurity at NU.edu
2) ICND1

2011 goals:
ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
MCITP:
70-680: (End of March 2011)
70-640: ????
70-642: ????
70-643: ????
70-647: ????
Resume:

BS ITM
Bachelor of Business Administration
Security+
Network+

Comments

• Options
    Today's goal is to read chapter 7 and 8 of the Odom book.
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Don't bother with SDM, focus your attention more on how data,segments,packets and frames transverse the network. Focus on ARP, DNS & DHCP and make sure you know exactly how switches and routers handle traffic down to every detail.

Then practice your show commands and how to extract the various types of information you might need. Like cdp for layer 3 logical addressing of attached devices, what layer 2 encapsulation protocol you are using on back-to-back serial links..
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    BrandonX wrote: »
    Today's goal is to read chapter 7 and 8 of the Odom book.

I suggest reading 9 & 10 too. Since the time to take the test is coming really fast, it would be best to try to finish the book before the test.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    seekrit wrote: »
    Don't bother with SDM, focus your attention more on how data,segments,packets and frames transverse the network. Focus on ARP, DNS & DHCP and make sure you know exactly how switches and routers handle traffic down to every detail.

Then practice your show commands and how to extract the various types of information you might need. Like cdp for layer 3 logical addressing of attached devices, what layer 2 encapsulation protocol you are using on back-to-back serial links..

Thank you ... I cross SDM off my list.
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    I suggest reading 9 & 10 too. Since the time to take the test is coming really fast, it would be best to try to finish the book before the test.

icon_thumright.gif .... going to finish the book for sure. Just a little busy today with school and exams.
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    I read Wendel's book 3 times cover to cover before sitting the ICND1 on top of everything else I used. Opinions are great, but when it comes down to it you're in charge. Don't walk into the exam room without turning the ICND1 blueprint inside out and flat out knowing the material. You'll walk away disappointed in yourself even if you pass.

Study hard, study deep. You'll pass..
  • Options
    VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□

thanks for the advice seekrit. Anyone wanna contribute some more?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

SDM is still listed on the exam topics. While I would agree on not spending a huge amount of time with it, I would still advise any ICND1 hopeful to spend some time familiarizing themselves with it.

Just because somebody didn't see any SDM questions doesn't mean that Cisco isn't still asking them. It just means that they didn't get one. Other people still may, we don't all take a test with an identical question mix. And with only 50 questions, it's safe to say that everyone will have something they didn't see.
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    SDM is still listed on the exam topics. While I would agree on not spending a huge amount of time with it, I would still advise any ICND1 hopeful to spend some time familiarizing themselves with it.

Just because somebody didn't see any SDM questions doesn't mean that Cisco isn't still asking them. It just means that they didn't get one. Other people still may, we don't all take a test with an identical question mix. And with only 50 questions, it's safe to say that everyone will have something they didn't see.

I agree You never know which topic you will have on your exam, and sometimes this one will "save your life" to be failed or not
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    Yesterday I read chapter 7 and 8 of the Odom book. Nothing ready jump out as being difficult to understand. Moving around between modes is much like in Linux.

Today's goal is to read chapter 9,10 and 11 while practicing the command on PT.
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    Don't walk into the exam room without turning the ICND1 blueprint inside out and flat out knowing the material. You'll walk away disappointed in yourself even if you pass. QUOTE]

seekrit,

I agree 100% with you. Passing the ICND1 is not the goal for me but the byproduct of my goals. The goal for CCNA is to understand Switches and Routers on the conceptual level and also be able to set it up and running from started to monitoring stage without need a guide.
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I would be able to subnet quickly and preferably in your head before you take the exam.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    ibcritn wrote: »
    I would be able to subnet quickly and preferably in your head before you take the exam.

I cannot do it in my head yet but I can do it pretty fast writing it down using the CBT nugget methods.

Not sure how to practice to do it in my head?????
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340

I cannot do it in my head yet but I can do it pretty fast writing it down using the CBT nugget methods.

Not sure how to practice to do it in my head?????

Focus on figuring out that last bit that is in the subnet mask and what value it holds so you can quickly figure out the network increment.

You will be faced with many questions asking you to troubleshoot that look very complex, but come to find out something just isn't on the correct network (even though it really looks like it was).

So my advice is get this subnetting thing down...I practiced over and over and over again using the CBT Nugget method (great series btw) until I got it down. I found it very useful when it came time for the exam.

As long as you can do it somewhat quickly you should be fine, but I really didn't like the writing material I got during my exam it was basically a thick marker tip / dry erase sheet....not subnetting friendly :)

Good luck!
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Today's goal is to read chapter 9,10 and 11 while practicing the command on PT.

Last goal was a complete failure. Did not get to read chapter 10 and 11 until yesterday; life outside of Cisco happen and also chapter 10 was the hardest to read and understand so far.

Today I am reading chapter 12 and the goal is to get to chapter 16 by the end of the day. I will be spending a total of 8 hours at this library today......
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    How's the Odom book treating ya?? Good luck with your studies, fellow San Diegan icon_thumright.gif
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    badboyeee wrote: »
    How's the Odom book treating ya?? Good luck with your studies, fellow San Diegan icon_thumright.gif

I like the Odom book a lot ... lot of detail.

Thank you,

Finishing up the book today !!!
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    The date is now set, 07JAN2011, for ICND1.

From now until the exam: I will be taking the study exam from the CD and continue working on subnetting questions to make sure I can do them very fast. I believe the goal is to find the ranges in less than 20 seconds. Also will be doing Lab using PT and GNS3 about 2 hours every day.

Any other suggestions?
    Currently working on:
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    It's probably too late for this if you haven't done it yet, but I made flash cards of all the key terms in odem's book. For the definitions, I tried to put them in my own words to make sure that I understood what they meant.