Options

Don't go to U of M Flint

dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know that people on here have posted in that past asking about online programs from established colleges/universities. Much like many of you, this presentation format interested me due to my work schedule so I applied to the MS in Computer Information Systems at the University of Michigan Flint campus back in 2008. At this point I have 8 classes and need two more to finish my degree.

Here comes the problem. This program explicitly states that if you have an undergrad in computer science or computer information systems you do not need to take "fast track courses" which are nothing more then some undergrad classes. The idea being if you do not come from a computer background these would help you in the graduate courses.

When I went to apply for this semester I was told that I could not take any graduate classes since I need to take five remedial, undergrad classes. When I mentioned that my undergrad was in computer information systems I was told to my face that "people from your university fail when they enroll in our masters programs and your degree is useless, sorry to tell you that". My undergrad was from an accredited university and was not known for handing out A's. Now I am being forced to take intro to databases along with other classes that I already took during undergrad. My job has me dealing with databases on a daily basis (technology director) and my grades in the eight graduate courses up to now have been A's with one B+. Currently I have over $10,000 invested in this endeavor.

With that said, I cannot recommend this program or university to anyone for fear that they might get burned too. Now I have to figure out what to do next.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dratnol wrote: »
    I know that people on here have posted in that past asking about online programs from established colleges/universities. Much like many of you, this presentation format interested me due to my work schedule so I applied to the MS in Computer Information Systems at the University of Michigan Flint campus back in 2008. At this point I have 8 classes and need two more to finish my degree.

Here comes the problem. This program explicitly states that if you have an undergrad in computer science or computer information systems you do not need to take "fast track courses" which are nothing more then some undergrad classes. The idea being if you do not come from a computer background these would help you in the graduate courses.

When I went to apply for this semester I was told that I could not take any graduate classes since I need to take five remedial, undergrad classes. When I mentioned that my undergrad was in computer information systems I was told to my face that "people from your university fail when they enroll in our masters programs and your degree is useless, sorry to tell you that". My undergrad was from an accredited university and was not known for handing out A's. Now I am being forced to take intro to databases along with other classes that I already took during undergrad. My job has me dealing with databases on a daily basis (technology director) and my grades in the eight graduate courses up to now have been A's with one B+. Currently I have over $10,000 invested in this endeavor.

With that said, I cannot recommend this program or university to anyone for fear that they might get burned too. Now I have to figure out what to do next.

Sounds pretty dang shady. What about transferring those credits to another local university. I think Central Michigan has a helluva SAP / engineering program and of course you have the pride of the state UofM.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dratnol wrote: »

This is outrageous and not what you understood going into the programme. Speak to the Dean. Totally uncalled for to slag off your first degree like that. Pass on the name of the person who was so unprofessional.
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Sounds pretty dang shady. What about transferring those credits to another local university. I think Central Michigan has a helluva SAP / engineering program and of course you have the pride of the state UofM.

UofM is the main campus for the satellite campus he is referring too (UofM-Flint). And for the record, the pride of the state is Michigan State University. GO SPARTANS! icon_lol.gif

Yeah, CMU has a great engineering program but if you're more mathematically inclined, WMU is the place to be. Their graduate studies are top notch in advanced mathematics and engineering related fields.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    If you don't mind me asking, what school is your degree through? The reason I ask is that on the degreeinfo.com forums a person tried to enroll in University of Illinois - Springfield's MS CS program with an Excelsior College BS IT undergrad and got rejected due to not having completed 120 RA credits (he had earned 19 credits for his IT certs). UIS actually mentioned "removing the school from their list", whatever that means. Just wondering what the deal is here, if Excelsior degrees are starting to get a bad rap. My personal undergrad was from Thomas Edison State College, grad is through UIS.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »

I looked into transferring the classes and most graduate programs will only accept two classes (6 credits) from another university. This scenario would basically mean going to another university and starting over aside from what they do transfer in.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    This is outrageous and not what you understood going into the programme. Speak to the Dean. Totally uncalled for to slag off your first degree like that. Pass on the name of the person who was so unprofessional.

I have every intention of doing so, I decided to wait a day or two to cool down. It has now been 24 hours and I still cannot believe that a "professional" actually said that to my face. The university has gone overboard with reporting things that make people feel bad or uncomfortable. I think for once I am going to do that and write a letter to the chancellor or the university (not that it will do any good).
  • Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what school is your degree through? The reason I ask is that on the degreeinfo.com forums a person tried to enroll in University of Illinois - Springfield's MS CS program with an Excelsior College BS IT undergrad and got rejected due to not having completed 120 RA credits (he had earned 19 credits for his IT certs). UIS actually mentioned "removing the school from their list", whatever that means. Just wondering what the deal is here, if Excelsior degrees are starting to get a bad rap. My personal undergrad was from Thomas Edison State College, grad is through UIS.

No problem, my undergrad was completed at Baker College of Flint. I think part of the problem was that at the time I was there Baker had poached a bunch of U of M's students. They had a curriculum that focused on current and upcoming technologies. U of M's computer science/information systems was still back in the early 1990's curriculum wise. We had students that had never seen much less touched SPARC machines when at U of M and we had a whole lab at Baker.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I visit Flint every so often (music business, not IT) and I will never forget the t-shirts they had.... in old english it said "Flint Town, Where the weak get shot and put in the dead box"
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I visit Flint every so often (music business, not IT) and I will never forget the t-shirts they had.... in old english it said "Flint Town, Where the weak get shot and put in the dead box"

LOL, when my mother was a police officer in Flint there were certain restaurants that they were forbidden from going to. "Mob connections" I'm told... icon_wink.gif

I was also told about how when she was a student at one of the well known universities in Michigan, they went to a football game against Flint and won. While leaving in buses bricks were being thrown. Yes, people from Flint are very friendly icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL, when my mother was a police officer in Flint there were certain restaurants that they were forbidden from going to. "Mob connections" I'm told... icon_wink.gif

I was also told about how when she was a student at one of the well known universities in Michigan, they went to a football game against Flint and won. While leaving in buses bricks were being thrown. Yes, people from Flint are very friendly icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif Not to derail the thread but let's remember that Flint used to be the murder capitol of the US... it took over the honor from NYC and Camden in the '80s...

I grew up in MI and let me tell you, great state but that place was off limits to even drive through. And don't even get Michael Myers (sp?) going on it... what a crap hole.