Options

Employers' expectations for training

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
In your experience, if your employer is willing to invest the training dollars for you (let's say a few thousand each year), how long does that good faith effort for you last? In other words, if they spend money to train you, it's probably not right to just up and leave to go somewhere else within a few months after the training budget has been spent. But how long do you feel obligated to stay? Six months? A year?

Obviously, nothing's ever written in stone in "at will" employments, but I'm wondering what you consider proper courtesy.
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    docrice wrote: »
    In your experience, if your employer is willing to invest the training dollars for you (let's say a few thousand each year), how long does that good faith effort for you last? In other words, if they spend money to train you, it's probably not right to just up and leave to go somewhere else within a few months after the training budget has been spent. But how long do you feel obligated to stay? Six months? A year?

Obviously, nothing's ever written in stone in "at will" employments, but I'm wondering what you consider proper courtesy.

Its a rough call; I'd honestly say 6 months. It really depends on how you feel and what the next solid lead is (if any). The nature of "at will" arrangements makes separation a little less like "I got your training dollars PZ!" because you have the right to leave without little or no notice (though I'd advise at least 2 weeks as a courtesy :)).
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    If I leave within a year of spending the training money I owe it back.

So my "ethical" obligation is a year :)

It's better than my last job...which required me to have a microsoft certification (randomly), but gave $0/year for training/certs.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA