Options

some experience, just certs

saied45saied45 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
hello i just wanted some people opinion. i recently started studying for my ccna( about a month ago) and although its hard i think im doing alright. i have good understanding of CLI interface and understand pretty fully about the OSI layers and such. so my question is does getting CCNA land you a job?
i have A+ cert , and i studied for N+ and im pretty good with computers. in the workforce i have about 4 months experience working for COMPUCOM, however i did not do any networking there.
so if i get my CCNA how likely it is to find a job considering how bad the economy is and such. i live in the east coast by the way.
thanks

Comments

• Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    saied45 wrote: »
    hello i just wanted some people opinion. i recently started studying for my ccna( about a month ago) and although its hard i think im doing alright. i have good understanding of CLI interface and understand pretty fully about the OSI layers and such. so my question is does getting CCNA land you a job?
    i have A+ cert , and i studied for N+ and im pretty good with computers. in the workforce i have about 4 months experience working for COMPUCOM, however i did not do any networking there.
    so if i get my CCNA how likely it is to find a job considering how bad the economy is and such. i live in the east coast by the way.
    thanks

well, to be honest, ccna cert will not open the door to IT networking straight away-unless you have a experience in networking, , and give you decent money and job. You have a more opportunity than someone without it, and if you will be patient you might find one. Unfortunately nowadays ccna certs are spoiled by people ho says that they have a ccna certs and don't know basic staff. I recommend you go to uni and get at least degree and in meantime find a job where you can have access to some networking hardware.
    I recommend this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/60912-job-outlook-ccnps-vs-ccnas.html
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    oh cool thanks. money is kind a short around now and there is no way im gonna take a loan. but i thought ccna was real hard and you actually had to understand cisco devices and networking to get a cert, and out of curiosity what is the average salary of someone who only got their cert and just started their career.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I would think that the average salary for a person with just one or two entry level certs and just starting a career would vary greatly depending on a number of factors including geography. I'm going to say not enough to live on without roommates (most likely plural!) or a significant other with a good job.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    so my question is does getting CCNA land you a job?
    No. Certifications do not magically help you get a job.

At best Certifications may get your resume pulled from a pile for a phone call (or email) and possibly an interview. It's the knowledge and skills you acquire studying -- and can demonstrate during job interviews -- that gets you the jobs.
    It depends.

If your job search strategy is to sit on the sofa and compete with 1000's of other people sitting at home on their sofas applying for the few job board scraps, then it isn't likely to help you find a job at all.

But if you're out there dropping of your resume (while wearing your Interview suit) at all the temp agencies in your area, and all the Cisco Business Partners in your area, and any promising company in any Technology/Business Centers in your area, then the CCNA could be the thing that someone notices on your resume that causes someone to talk to you -- but then it's still up to you demonstrate your people skills and turn the conversation into a job interview (or an invitation back for a job interview) and then dazzle them with your Cisco Brilliance.

A more complete list of places to go and things to do to HUNT down a job are in this post:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/59556-i-need-help-i-really-have-absolutely-no-job-getting-skills-all.html#post466395
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    No. Certifications do not magically help you get a job.

At best Certifications may get your resume pulled from a pile for a phone call (or email) and possibly an interview. It's the knowledge and skills you acquire studying -- and can demonstrate during job interviews -- that gets you the jobs.

It depends.

If your job search strategy is to sit on the sofa and compete with 1000's of other people sitting at home on their sofas applying for the few job board scraps, then it isn't likely to help you find a job at all.

But if you're out there dropping of your resume (while wearing your Interview suit) at all the temp agencies in your area, and all the Cisco Business Partners in your area, and any promising company in any Technology/Business Centers in your area, then the CCNA could be the thing that someone notices on your resume that causes someone to talk to you -- but then it's still up to you demonstrate your people skills and turn the conversation into a job interview (or an invitation back for a job interview) and then dazzle them with your Cisco Brilliance.

A more complete list of places to go and things to do to HUNT down a job are in this post:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/59556-i-need-help-i-really-have-absolutely-no-job-getting-skills-all.html#post466395

What this man said. Although, I am not yet at a CCNA level of studying- yet, knowing the certs you study by heart and at an obsessive level HELPS TREMENDOUSLY to make a good impression. Albeit my experience is... With the MCTS Windows 7 exam and skill set, that alone after 1.5-2 months of brutal labbing and memorization has impressed interviewers.

I need to essentially expand... the 6-7 short generalist bullets on my resume now to include key, specific words for Server and Network level skills and competencies, rather then "Hardware troubleshooting Desktops, Laptops and Small Server Systems", I want to be able to list confidently "Can configure x protocols on x routers/switches and do this, this".

I'm paranoid about my resume and skills. I don't list anything unless I am sure I am at an expert level on the subject. It's one of the reasons why I am overlooked from many positions beyond entry level... HR will pick up the paper cert jerks who have 10 certs but no experience, and ignore us with 1-3 core associate level certifications who know the information over a year at an experts level of recollection and 'doing.

Grr. It's frustrating but the interviews I do go in for I always "WOW", then the downfall is always one nit picky detail such as "Well, you seem to know 90% of what we need, but you don't seem to have any proficiency or certifications with HP systems certification 1,2,3 and Citrix and VMWare certs...."

Excuse me? Really?

It's a market thats so flooded with cheaters and over certified clueless morons that the standards have ideally shifted to look for the candidates they see most in submitting rather then actually capable people.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    wow i had no idea the situation was this bad. However how exactly do these people get certs if they dont know what they are doing?
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    They find out what questions are on the test and spend a couple days memorizing the answers. Then they take the chance that what they studied is actually on the test. People that do this might be more likely to get an interview, but any interviewer will be able to spot these phonies when they can't answer simple technical questions.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    They find out what questions are on the test and spend a couple days memorizing the answers. Then they take the chance that what they studied is actually on the test. People that do this might be more likely to get an interview, but any interviewer will be able to spot these phonies when they can't answer simple technical questions.

I was doing a dual interview for a Support Analyst position, one guy has CCNA, CCNP, MCSE... I had all the skills from those listed (Up to CCNA, lol) and made a point to 1 line bullet summary my skills for my resume.

"CCNP man was asked 'How do Windows Client PC's handle IPv4 and IPv6 addressing?"

"Well they all upgraded to the new IPv6 standard, which is 50% more powerful and fast"

*They gave him the coldest stare ever

Myself turning to the guy: "'Sarcastically; I believe you bring up a valid point and you are a scholar of the highest regard, but I don't believe you understand the addressing scheme differences between the two, or what a dual-stack for a networking device means. Here, let me draw out a diagram on the whiteboard to demonstrate what the different between the two is and briefly explain..."

The interview went fantastically. The guy now works at a Wendy's, I'm making 15-20k a year off being a Freelance Technician + odd jobs for friends, relatives, friends of friends, my county, etc, which totals up to 30k/ year. 10k of it tax free.

Feels pretty decent to know a non CCENT certified guy like myself can school "AN OFFICIAL CCNP LOLOl"
  • Options
    thank you for the advice guys. to be 100% sure ipv6 has only one advantage right, because its almost impossible to run out of ips?
    also another question what is the clock rate on a router mean, what does it do, tried googling but i didnt really didnt get the answer
  • Options
    thank you for the advice guys. to be 100% sure ipv6 has only one advantage right, because its almost impossible to run out of ips?
    also another question what is the clock rate on a router mean, what does it do, tried googling but i didnt really didnt get the answer

*Stares

You have a long way to go, young one :)

Read up on it. There are entire tomes dedicated to routing with IPv6, the new 128-Bit scheme, etc. It's not just the number of addresses available.
  • Options
    haha okay. if anyone ever needs help or advice with computer animation, hit me up, i will be glad to help you.
    thanks for the help guys
  • Options
    well i guess i wan only 10% right. i had no idea there were so many advantages What Are The Advantages Of Using IPv6 Over IPv4?