Options

The cloud

lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I was reading an article on the net regarding cloud computing, and all the benefits of it, and it got me thinking. What do you guys think about it, and what impacts will it have on the IT industry and us (computer guys)? Will the server guys lose their jobs seeing as everything is being outsourced? In general, which IT guy will this have most impact on (Database guy, Network guy, Server guy etc...)

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Cloud computing isnt new.

Modern "Cloud Computing" is just application/os/server/storage/database etc... on demand. I don't think its going to be taking away any jobs. With so many MSP popping up the hype around Cloud computing during the 2000-teens will probably add jobs.

I've seen jobs get outsourced only to be brought back. I think we will see a greater devide between IT professionals who are actually being paid what they are worth versus what management thinks they are worth. The people with valuable skills will continue to make money and be successful. Those who pursue personal/technical/professional growth will prosper. Those who are stagnant or fake/google it will probably not be paid as well, or be replaced by more skilled individuals.

As the years go on, management in the various corps I have been a part of have greatly increased their technical knowledge (albeit high level) so they can better manager their parts of the business. The IT guy who will be most impacted are those who do not adapt, learn, and hold a high will to work.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I wouldn't consider it losing jobs either. Rackspace and Amazon both hire thousands of people who work on teams to support this... They have managed hosting, dedicated email teams, etc. Rackspace was ranked in Fortune's top 100 best places to work as well.

Nothing wrong with it... It gives companies/business an alternative solution than doing it all in house.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel