Options

Tax returns

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Do you guys file your own tax returns or do you go to some accountants?

If you do file your own tax returns, do you file it online?
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    My wife's a CPA.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    Do you guys file your own tax returns or do you go to some accountants?

If you do file your own tax returns, do you file it online?

Yes I do my own and yes I file online. It's pretty quick and relatively simple. The refund only takes about a week to be direct deposited.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Yes I do my own and yes I file online. It's pretty quick and relatively simple. The refund only takes about a week to be direct deposited.
    Which website do you go to, and do you use the free one or the paid one?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    I've done my own taxes for years, as it's always been fairly simple. However, I opened a business this past year, so I'll be going to a proper CPA this time.

When all I filed was a 1040EZ, I just used efile through whatever the IRS linked to. When I bought a house and started itemizing, I switched to TurboTax.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used "H&R Block At Home" Online (free if your in the 58k range and are under the age of 51 as of 12/31/10)

I did my taxes last year with it and it was flawless...and um free icon_wink.gif
    --WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
    Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
    INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
    Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
    ==================
    >> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
    (I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)
  • Options
    I only have a simple 1040EZ, so I will use TurboTax (free) then.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Which website do you go to, and do you use the free one or the paid one?

Mine is free, I go through the H&R block website for mine. Takes maybe 20 minutes to resolve it. Pretty easy if you don't have a lot of weird deductions.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use turbo tax, the free version. It's easy and I usually get my return within a week of filing.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use Turbo Tax and do the e-file. Usually get my refund in about 8-10 days.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a CPA I use, though I typically wouldn't have any issue doing them myself. It's pretty straight forward, even when I had my tuition, mortgage, business, etc to somewhat complicate things. I primarily use my CPA largely because he was a regular customer of mine back when I was still working in the retail sector and I'm a solid believer in returning the favor when I can.
  • Options
    Has anyone have filed your taxes already or you guys will 'til Feb, Mar, Apr to file your refund?

I just did my efile using Turbo Tax (free) and on the top right corner they have the amount of how much I am going to get, pretty neat. I haven't finished my stuff yet.

For those who are using Turbo Tax, what does it mean by "Making Work Pay Credit"? It is under the Federal Taxes -> Deduction & Credits.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
  • Options
    michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    my Dad's an old retired CPA. He was old school and did tax returns by hand. I used to do mine by hand. He was anti computerized tax programs. A few years ago, I purchased TurboTax. He used it and liked it so much, there's no turning back. use it every year now.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also use Turbo Tax as well. It's easy to use and I usually get my return within a week of filing. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use TaxAct (which is free for federal) and then do the state stuff for free at Louisiana.gov. It's worked great for me the last three years or so!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Do my own. Use turbo tax deluxe, I have a lot of itemized deductions and had some business income.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My taxes were always straightforward, so I used TurboTax Deluxe or Premier depending on whether I sold stocks that year or not. It always worked fine, but 2010, I had a house fire, and I also have to start paying back the Bush $7500 Homebuyer Credit. So this year, I will spend the little extra, and get a CPA to do my taxes. I have to wait for my 1098-T from WGU AND my 1099 from Sharebuilder since I liquidated my stocks before I file. I have an appointment with the CPA on like the last week of February.

By myself, I should be getting money back, but it's my hope this guy will get me stuff I overlooked, plus properly deduct for the fire. I also have all my receipts that I used for school, including the server (and monitor) I bought which I will be claiming as a educational expense for my MCITP:EA. :D (IRS says I can do it, so why not....)

Everybook I bought in 2010 that was for a cert will also get deducted....can't wait to see how much more I get!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    My taxes were always straightforward, so I used TurboTax Deluxe or Premier depending on whether I sold stocks that year or not. It always worked fine, but 2010, I had a house fire, and I also have to start paying back the Bush $7500 Homebuyer Credit. So this year, I will spend the little extra, and get a CPA to do my taxes. I have to wait for my 1098-T from WGU AND my 1099 from Sharebuilder since I liquidated my stocks before I file. I have an appointment with the CPA on like the last week of February.

By myself, I should be getting money back, but it's my hope this guy will get me stuff I overlooked, plus properly deduct for the fire. I also have all my receipts that I used for school, including the server (and monitor) I bought which I will be claiming as a educational expense for my MCITP:EA. :D (IRS says I can do it, so why not....)

Everybook I bought in 2010 that was for a cert will also get deducted....can't wait to see how much more I get!

LOL, I get mixed responses when I ask about this. H&R Block refused to help me claim those and I'm not sure whether they are right or not. I'm going to a different place this year since I have been unimpressed by them.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LOL, I get mixed responses when I ask about this. H&R Block refused to help me claim those and I'm not sure whether they are right or not. I'm going to a different place this year since I have been unimpressed by them.

Under normal circumstances, only if you're self-employed would you be able to deduct these expenses under "professional development".

Most people's taxes are only "normal" if they choose for them to be.

However, given that erpadmin had a casualty this year, his situation is likely different in that his itemized deductions will most certainly exceed the 2% AGI, meaning that he will very likely be able to deduct the full amount for "work-related educational expenses" not reimbursed by his employer.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tax expert; everyone should talk to a CPA with specific federal tax expertise for these types of questions. The mouth-breathers at various tax-preparation services are most certainly not CPAs.

MS
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances, only if you're self-employed would you be able to deduct these expenses under "professional development".

Most people's taxes are only "normal" if they choose for them to be.

However, given that erpadmin had a casualty this year, his situation is likely different in that his itemized deductions will most certainly exceed the 2% AGI, meaning that he will very likely be able to deduct the full amount for "work-related educational expenses" not reimbursed by his employer.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tax expert; everyone should talk to a CPA with specific federal tax expertise for these types of questions. The mouth-breathers at various tax-preparation services are most certainly not CPAs.

MS

Thanks for clarifying that. I read that as well at some point, but had forgotten.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The books I bought for Project+ and Security+, not to mention the MS Press Books for the MCITP:EA are educational expenses, not professional development expenses, since I'm technically a college student. :D That's how I'm able to deduct the server I bought, as I need it for my online classes/labbing. I know I can only deduct up to a certain amount, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna qualify. But that's one of the reasons why I'm using a CPA this year. The fire of course being the main thing. It is my hope that 2011 is a "normal" year so I can go back to TurboTax... :D
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i have an accountant
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for clarifying that. I read that as well at some point, but had forgotten.

Funny, someone who breathes through their mouth must be a member here, because they neg-repped me (not you Veritas, I quoted you because it was the last post that involved me).

I sincerely apologize if I've offended anyone here who breathes through their mouth. Obviously comparing you to the the fine people that work at tax preparation services was an insult, as they are in no way your equal.

MS
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    i use turbotax as well, it's useful having my previous years returns automatically imported, I do the efile, and the whole hassle is over with in about an hour.
  • Options
    So I finished my efile form, but haven't filed the form yet. I am just wondering, why they haven't asked me about my last year tax refund. I remember that when I filed my last year tax return, they asked me some info about my 2008 tax return. However, this one is not. Am I doing something wrong?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    So I finished my efile form, but haven't filed the form yet. I am just wondering, why they haven't asked me about my last year tax refund. I remember that when I filed my last year tax return, they asked me some info about my 2008 tax return. However, this one is not. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm assuming you're doing it online with turbotax? And I'm guessing last year was you first year?

If so then you're fine. Turbotax will automatically import the data it needs from the tax return you filed with them last year, since it's already got it on file.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Worked for a CPA firm for the last 9 years, so they took care of it. Using Turbo Tax this year.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I usually write off the books, computer lab, mileage to and from test centers as well as the tests themselves. My consulting work makes up a third of my income and expenses and I use all of that as professional development. That and a xerox box full of receipts to go through and itemize. Turbotax small business or premier, depending on how the year went.

Just remember, an audit is the IRS's firm belief that you still owe them money. If you don't ****, fudge or lie you have nothing to worry about.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)