Options

Resume skills question

marktemarkte Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently work for a small company with 3 IT people. CIO who is also a partner in the company so isn't always doing IT work but is very technical, a developer who builds a lot of web apps for us, and myself network/server/whatever admin. My wife and I are preparing to move to CO for her job so I am needing to work on my resume.

My question is, when you are a jack of all trades, master of none, what is the best way to outline your skills? I keep Exchange 2007 running, SQL 2000/2005/2008, Windows 2003 and 2008 servers, converted 90% of users to Terminal Server with thin clients, handle all virtualization with Hyper-V and XenServer, print queues, file shares, user admin, network with Cisco router and Dell and cisco switches. Sounds like a lot right? But, I don't do all that stuff often.

Example, I write Crystal and MS REporting Services reports for clients, but I may only do that 2-3 times every 3 months as far as complicated reports, the rest of the time it's just quick one off SQL query and fairly simple report. So I can do it but I don't do it enough to consider myself even close to a skilled report writer or SQL programmer. Same with virtualization, I set every thing up but now it just works and other than some maintenance it's pretty much hands off. Exchange and SQL server, I keep it running, set up maintennance plans, do mailbox moves standard stuff but I don't consider myself a true admin, I couldn't walk into a company with clustered Exchange or SQL and take over, I've never worked with that technology other than in lab situations just to see how it works. I set up our cisco routers and firewall but once again, it works and we haven't had to touch it again in months. If I had to do it all over, while knowing the basics, I would probably have to relearn a lot of configuration

But having said all that, I'm more than capable of learning but not sure how to put it on my resume without sounding like I'm a guru in everything. Not wanting to sell myself short but I'm not a guru, I'm often just very good at using Google. :) I have my MCITP-SA and am close to taking my CCNA test. I want potential employers to know that I have the skills and can move into a lot of roles.

Any advice on how best to portray this on a resume?

Comments

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm kind of in this same boat. I deal with a lot of projects and each one is different. I learn a skill while I do a project, but I may not use it again for another couple of months. I'm curious to see what other people say.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I asked for advice on my resume, and it was suggested to not list "skills", but rather the SPECIFIC technology/devices you have administered or worked with. Instead of saying you have skill with routing/switching, say that you have configured a Cisco 3640 for a small business.

Also I was told that your time to shine is during the interview. You can be less descriptive on the resume, but give them just enough to ask you what you know in the interview. You still need to sell yourself, though icon_lol.gif

Don't downplay yourself too much. You are very likely a better asset to a new employer than some of their other candidates.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.