Options

Should I extend my temp contract or not?

Danny boyDanny boy Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I have a bit of a dilemma which I am unsure how to proceed with.

Basically I have been working as a password ninja in local government for the past 14 months as a temp and I'm sick of it. There is a recruitment freeze for permanent jobs, which means there is no careeer progression for even permanent member of staff and I'm not learning anything new. I originally was due to be here for just a 4 month contract but it has been extended every few months, and my latest contract is due to expire at the end of March.

I have tried to make myself more employable by doing an online HNC in computing, which I am in the first year of doing and am going for my Comptia A+ exams in February. I also have a BA and MA in History. I have started to look for new helpdesk jobs in the area since the beginning of last week, had two calls back from agencies the day after I applied to job but nothing since then (I know its early days).

However today I was asked by my boss today whether I wished to extend my contract to the end of June. I'm unsure what to do as I do not wish to stay until the end of June, but am concerned that I might find it difficult to get a job by the end of March. Also if I was to accept the contract and then got offered a permanent job/ better temp job would it be bad if I left? I think my notice, as I have the job through an agency, is about a week.

Any input would be really helpful.

Comments

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what you're saying it seems that you don't have much to do during your work which is an excellent opportunity for you to study and do some labs on a test PC if you have.

I would study while working and try to finish as much certificates from now till June, don't quit your job until you find a better one that would be my advice.

Since it's contract I don't see it's bad if you quit since you are allowed to and a week sounds ok.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response za3bour. Seems like sage advice - I will be sure to follow it! Will bide my time and will hopefully get something better in the meanwhile.

I forgot to add that one of the reasons I am frustated with the job, is that they got rid of much of the other temps three months ago, whilst increasing the workload, so we are manically busy almost all the time which is not fun. However I will just have to grin and bear it icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As someone who has been searching for a job, even a password ninja job, for months, I would agree with za3bour. I'd latch onto anything at this point.

Also, you definitely shouldn't feel bad about leaving your position if you find a better one. It's a temporary position, so I doubt anyone will fault you for looking for something permanent. Just make sure you follow the rules they give for giving notice, and all will be well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input Arysta. You are right, in these tough economic circumstances I should be grateful that I have a job in IT at all, even if I'm not happy with it, and something better should eventually turn up. Good luck with finding a job.