Problems with IPv6 EIGRP on GNS3

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm probably going to feel like an idiot once someone points out what i'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to get my GNS3 lab for IPv6 EIGRP working

I have 4 routers connected via serial links (7204VXR with PA-4T+ card)

R1 S1/0 --> R2 S1/0
R1 S1/1 --> R3 S1/1
R2 S1/1 --> R4 S1/1

I'm working off of the example 8-52 in the ROUTE FLG (adapted to match my interface numbering)

R1 (config) #ipv6 unicast-routing
R1 (config) #interface Serial1/0.2 point- to-point
R1 (config-subif) #ipv6 eigrp 100
R1 (config-subif) #interface Serial1/1.3 point-to-point
R1 (config-subif) #ipv6 eigrp 100
R1 (config-subif) #exit
R1 (config) #

I can't seem to enable the "point-to-point" component of the subinterface without using Frame-Relay as the encapsulation type. Maybe the author intended for this to be understood, but it doesn't seem to be noted anywhere in the network drawing or the configuration examples. I can create subinterfaces if I use PPP as the encapsulaltion, but not with the "point-to-point" suffix.

Am I overlooking the obvious? Is Frame Relay my only option here if I want a "point-to-point" subinterface?
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    AFAIK the only way to use point-to-point subints is with frame relay encap. I may be wrong though. Dont forget to do a "no shut" under your ipv6 eigrp router process or it wont work for you either.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I've never tried to do what you're trying to do, but given that PPP stands for Point to Point protocol, specifying the subint type as point to point seems a tad redundant.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never tried to do what you're trying to do, but given that PPP stands for Point to Point protocol, specifying the subint type as point to point seems a tad redundant.

Yeah i kinda thought that too when I was pondering this one. I ended up using frame relay as the encapsulation for this as it seemed to meet the requirements of the scenario more than any other type of serial encapsulation. So I went ahead and built it all up on GNS3. I don't if it's what the author had in mind, but dammit it works :)
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Yeah i kinda thought that too when I was pondering this one. I ended up using frame relay as the encapsulation for this as it seemed to meet the requirements of the scenario more than any other type of serial encapsulation. So I went ahead and built it all up on GNS3. I don't if it's what the author had in mind, but dammit it works :)

Well, I'd try it the other way as well, use PPP for the encap, and just create the subints and see if it'll work. Be useful knowledge to have, and give you additional practice with EIGRP over ip6, which I'm guessing is the actual goal of the scenario hehe