Options

Job Offer

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey guys,

I guess a spot opened up or some money came in. I was just offered a Senior Systems Administrator spot at my company this afternoon. So I'll get away from the desktop a little more. So that is pretty good news.

But they are a little nervous about my voice skills and frankly I agree. So I probably need to spend some time just working through CCVP materials and put my CCNP: Switch on hold.

Anyhow, good news there.
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! Now stop posting and go hit the CCVP study material.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    But they are a little nervous about my voice skills and frankly I agree. So I probably need to spend some time just working through CCVP materials and put my CCNP: Switch on hold.

I was thinking WTF does how you speak have to do with being a Sys Admin...lmao. Then I read the rest of that, and it made sense. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Congrats on the offer! :) If VoIP is something you want to do, do it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

We're a small managed service provider. So there are no silos or specializations to speak of. One day I'll be deploying a Communications Manager setup, another day migrating a domain and another designing sharepoint sites with a client. A little of everything. I already have done and will do a fair amount of this...

We only last year officially starting taking on voice, the only problems is everyone they sent to training, QUIT! So they felt burned and are refusing to send anyone else to training. Although they won't admit this is the reason. $5k x 3 people I can see it though. They were not happy.

I think the problem is they undervalue VOIP skills. So once they trained up a few CCVPs and they had 6months experience they moved on.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I was thinking WTF does how you speak have to do with being a Sys Admin...lmao. Then I read the rest of that, and it made sense. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ha, me too...

hey Daniel, what was your previous position?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Congrats man! Time to celebrate and get up to par on those voice skills! icon_cool.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    We only last year officially starting taking on voice, the only problems is everyone they sent to training, QUIT! So they felt burned and are refusing to send anyone else to training. Although they won't admit this is the reason. $5k x 3 people I can see it though. They were not happy.

I think the problem is they undervalue VOIP skills. So once they trained up a few CCVPs and they had 6months experience they moved on.

I have a suggestion to this:

Have them spend the money not on individual training, but perhaps getting a voice lab setup. I can't see how a VoIP would be that different from a regular network lab (since data is still data and packets are packets), but since you're going to be boning up on voice anyway, might as well have an in house lab and then getting materials to study from that lab. Then offer to share your notes on pertinent study materials to study from so that your management can realize a potential ROI in a voice lab setup investment.

It's win-win for everyone concerned.
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    ha, me too...

hey Daniel, what was your previous position?

It was weird. I was taken on here as a junior admin, then we did a HUGE round of lay offs and what not. I was essentially confined to a help desk role but with privileges. I would get deployed to small project etc. But most my time was phone user support.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Had my first day today, more or less of Senior Sys admin stuff.

1) Started my day fixing a redistribution issue from EIGRP to OSPF. Default routes were not making it to the workstations right. Turned out to be as easy as getting a static route in. But it was my first time troubleshooting MPLS and redistribution out of a lab/on my own. We had basically no documentation. So took a while, but I got it there.
    2) Talked a junior guy on restoring a failed exchange server
    3) Troubleshooting a switch stack issue where certain switches were rebooting in their own. Turned out to be power. Wasn't enough of it
    4) Setup a new monitoring system for a clients' Exchange/Exchange UM system. Sort of a test. Required some firewall changes with a pretty touchy client.

Good times!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    sounds pretty cool
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark