Options

switch stack

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
I understand you there is a way to use the GBIC interface to setup a switch stack under the 3550, is this true? Anyone done this?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Don't suppose you can help me out here. They are half duplex, meaning I use both Gbics on each switch?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Don't suppose you can help me out here. They are half duplex, meaning I use both Gbics on each switch?
    No. Having two separate half duplex chains by plugging in two GigaStack GBICs into each switch isn't a supported configuration and it won't give you full duplex operation.

If you want full duplex then you're going to have to rearrange the stack into a star configuration with a central switch like the 3550-12G mentioned in the example.

The GigaStack GBICs only negotiate a full duplex connection if you're only using 1 socket on the GBICs on both ends of the cable. If you have two connections per GBIC then it will fall back to half duplex operation.

If you need better inter-switch forwarding than 1Gbps half duplex or 1Gbps full duplex then you're going to have to upgrade to a newer fixed configuration switch that supports Stackwise or Stackwise Plus or go all the way to a chassis switch.
  • Options
    Gotcha, thanks!
    -Daniel