Options

who is working in a support desk/help desk role?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
with so many postings about what certs we wants and who does what, I get confused...

i am in week 3 of being a Support Desk Analyst, and I have to say I like it a lot
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    That was my last job. i was hoping to get out but in talks to take another one paying 10-15k more so if offered I will take it.
  • Options
    size15shoesize15shoe Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im currently an IT intern (which is identical to a help desk analyst in this role im working) and i honestly love it. I learn something new everyday.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Currently L1 help desk. Quite a bit different than my last job which was also help desk. That one was more technical, networking etc. This is more password resets and directing to other departments. Want out of this one asap, not exactly my cup of tea.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Friday is my last day in my Help Desk job. I start my System Administrator job on Monday at a new company :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm working at a helpdesk position right now but it looks like I will be heading to a new job soon.
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
    Project+ and CIW Foundations.
  • Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in Desktop Support and am currently studying for the CCNA to move into the Networking side of things.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm currently working as a PC/Network Tech but am working towards a Network/Systems Admin.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work for a contract company and am the dedicated onsite person for our biggest client. I do everything from helpdesk to server support and administration. I like doing helpdesk tickets for the most part as you get to meet and interact with the employees.
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    I've been working at my most recent help desk role for about 4 months now. Our help crew is a small group (4 people including myself), yet our manager still finds things to bring over into our territory for support and tries to put as much on our plates as possible regarding separate projects as well. It keeps us on our toes without becoming too overwhelming and opens us up to a lot of new technology which is a great thing. I like the new experiences and knowledge gained from it, plus it's great resume fodder for when I try to either move up within the company or expand to somewhere else.

For example, just this week he brought me in to work with part of our proper Desktop Support group (since our help desk group is on the phone 90% of the time) on our new "Field Empowerment" project for the field users that came into our HQ. They've been struggling to get some kind of standard for hardware/software configurations on our field users machines so we had a large group come down so we could upgrade them to new hardware if required and then optimize the other machines if it didn't warrant a new laptop. Not anything too out there regarding what a help desk should work on but it's definitely more than what the help desk group at this company has done in the past and it's starting to bridge the gap between divisions.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On a L2 Helpdesk role as well with some interaction with projects mangement for on site .

Like the Support role but sometimes ignorant user get on your nerves.
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    Danny boyDanny boy Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been working in L1 helpdesk for the past 14 months, mainly just password resets and logging calls. However I have a phone interview tonight for another helpdesk job which involves more troubleshooting and higher pay, so am hopeful of getting something better.
  • Options
    yeah, that was my next question sort of....

in my training they listed help desk as being much different than Support Desk, is that true? or just training fluff?

we're listed as Tier 1, but we do a lot of stuff.. reset passwords and unlock accounts in AD of course, but we remote in and do some troubleshooting, push software, etc.. is that the norm for help desk too?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I am working doing L2 network support on a very large enterprise network. VPN creation, modification, vlan changes, hardware support, WAN troubleshooting, enterprise wireless, etc... icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been in a helpdesk position for almost a year and ready for the change to something else. We have a 4 man team for 35 or so managed customers that we do everything for. I've done password reset, account unlocks, hardware/software troubleshooting, server administration (troubleshooting everything from the software to the hardware), account creation, printer setups (troubleshooting), everything related to Citrix, networking issues. Basically, we've grown without bringing on more people and the current rules require working on any issue for at least two hours before escalating. I touch new technology everyday pretty much and there are products that I have fixed that the vendors themselves had no solutions for.

Helpdesk can be truly trying most of the time. Some of our largest customers are medical and law related so we deal with the God complex on an hourly basis. I find that the job truly changes you and makes you much more cynical then you would believe possible. In the course of my year, I've had problems that were clearly user caused. As they yell and scream at you on the phone you tend to fall into that 1000 yard stare. Once they stop belittling you and settle on doing what you ask it some how by magic works. Most say it's about time, but in the past two months I've received 3 apologies. Plus you will always find those few users who are easy going and agree that their coworkers suck.

Ultimately, I wouldn't change the path I have taken thus far. I have learned to adapt and overcome, push myself beyond thresholds, and learned more technology then I can shake a stick at. Plus, my social engineering skills have improved 10 fold since taking this job lol.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    yeah, that was my next question sort of....

in my training they listed help desk as being much different than Support Desk, is that true? or just training fluff?

we're listed as Tier 1, but we do a lot of stuff.. reset passwords and unlock accounts in AD of course, but we remote in and do some troubleshooting, push software, etc.. is that the norm for help desk too?

Sounds exactly like the job i'm doing now actually. That's going to be the difference between internal employee facing help desk and external customer facing help desk. The internal ones tend to have more on their plate to do, although mostly password resets. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    One of my teams jobs is level 3 support for desktop client and core application issues. If my team can't solve it then we work directly with the vendor to figure out a solution. I rarely deal with actual users. Issues are usually escalated to us in the form of a consult ticket.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like the job i'm doing now actually. That's going to be the difference between internal employee facing help desk and external customer facing help desk. The internal ones tend to have more on their plate to do, although mostly password resets. icon_cry.gif

we only deal with internal colleagues, but we have over 55 thousand users
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    we only deal with internal colleagues, but we have over 55 thousand users

Yep same here. icon_lol.gif External facing help desks tend to do a bit less. Generally no remote access or anything like that. People tend to freak out if they see you remote in. Although external are also a lot more customer service based it seems. Just different types of calls, I never had password resets in my previous job. We didn't do passwords, we just did network stuff i.e. are you in the gateway, proper IP, wireless connection, MAC filter, port/switch resets etc.

This job however has a broader group of applications, but less depth of support. Is this something that can be fixed by a password reset, reboot or profile rebuild? If no, inform the group and pass the ticket to them. More routing to others, less troubleshooting. I'm a bigger fan of more in depth stuff, that's just me.