Stuck on autounattend.xml and SIM

hamzillahamzilla Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am trying to get my first autounattend.xml working but having tried the sample one in the SIM and renaming it as mentioned it doesn't work. It just boots to the splash screen prompting for language confirmation etc.

Do I need to edit any of the entries in this sample? I am also unsure of whether I need to specify a Product Key as I am using the evaluation enterprise/ultimate x86 iso and this doesn't come with one that I am aware of.

I have saved the autounattend.xml to my flash drive and using VirtualBox.

Comments

• aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have a look here - Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals

Should be enough to get you started.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • hamzillahamzilla Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh Em Gz!
    After trying the old fashioned way of booting from Win 7 CD and moving the usb stick to the ports on the rear of the motherboard, it finally detected the answer file, albeit with a license key error.
    However after correcting my answer file and trying through the VirtualBox method, it still doesn't detect my USB stick.

Thanks for the link, although that is what I have been using as the template for the answer file.
  • aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hamzilla wrote: »
    Oh Em Gz!
    After trying the old fashioned way of booting from Win 7 CD and moving the usb stick to the ports on the rear of the motherboard, it finally detected the answer file, albeit with a license key error.
    However after correcting my answer file and trying through the VirtualBox method, it still doesn't detect my USB stick.

Thanks for the link, although that is what I have been using as the template for the answer file.

Does VirtualBox actually support USB drives in virtual machines? I know VMWare Workstation can, and I have used VirtualBox before but I can't remember if it can support USB drives.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • hamzillahamzilla Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Apparently VB does but not very well imo. You have to manually select the USB in the bottom frame of the window and even though it flashes to show its trying to read from the USB it doesn't detect the unattend file.

So in the last hour I have now installed VMWare Player and that has picked up the unattend without a hitch. It has installed completely unattended so I'm relieved I can now make some progress.