Options

IPv6 Frame Relay - Full Mesh topology without sub-int..UPDATE..Solved!

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
This is for all you IPv6 experts out there... :)

I am trying to figure out how to lab this up in GNS3 as it is drawn (see the attachment). The lab is actually for IPv6 Policy Based Routing , but I keep coming up against a roadblock with how to get this going.

The requirement that has got me stumped is that all routers must exchange routes via RIPng (meaning all the link local addresses have be able to talk). I configured the frame relay switch in GNS3 to drop two DLCIs at R1,R2 and R3 so that each router had a path to the other. What I can't figure out is how to keep the IPv6 unicast address on the physical serial interface as it is drawn out and propogate the RIPng multicasts across the same physical serial interface using IPv6 link local addresses. I can only map the link-local address to one DLCI which means I can only point the link local address at one remote router and not both. I know that with subinterfaces this can be done, but it isn't drawn out that way.

Is this technically possible without subinterfaces? Maybe i'm using the wrong serial technology to implement this...frame relay seemed like the logical choice. PPP maybe? I'm gonna keep plugging away at this one and researching it, but I wanted to get some advice from some of you guys that are more experienced with IPv6 over serial links.
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow! It's amazing how clear things become after a good night's sleep and some reading on the basics. I went and re-read the chapter on RIPng in the ROUTE FLG and the answer was staring me in the face - frame-relay map ipv6 link-local address (of remote router) dlci broadcast

Where i screwed up was in trying to map the link local address of the router I was on rather than the link local address of the two remote routers...which kinda makes me feel like an idiot because I had already done that with my global unicast addresses. Sooo...here is what I came up with and it allows RIPng multicast routing updates across frame relay. I had to end up adding two more DLCIs per Serial interface for a total of 4 for each router.

note: the last number in each ipv6 address is the number of the router it is on.

R1

interface Serial2/0
    no ip address
    encapsulation frame-relay IETF
    ipv6 address FE80::1 link-local
    ipv6 address 123::1/64
    ipv6 rip PBRv6test enable
    serial restart-delay 0
    frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::2 112 broadcast
    frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::3 113 broadcast
    frame-relay map ipv6 123::2 102
    frame-relay map ipv6 123::3 103

R2

interface Serial1/0
    no ip address
    ipv6 address FE80::2 link-local
    ipv6 address 123::2/64
    serial restart-delay 0
    frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::3 213 broadcast
    frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::1 211 broadcast
    frame-relay map ipv6 123::3 203
    frame-relay map ipv6 123::1 201

R3

interface Serial1/0
    no ip address
    ipv6 address FE80::3 link-local
    ipv6 address 123::3/64
    serial restart-delay 0
    frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::2 312 broadcast
    frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::1 311 broadcast
    frame-relay map ipv6 123::1 301
    frame-relay map ipv6 123::2 302

Now it all works like a charm and I can actually use it to learn v6 Policy Based Routing :)
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...