Options

Could use a little advice

It feels like forever since I have posted. Only two or three weeks probably. I have been so busy with training for 2 new jobs and awaiting a new project to start. My dilemma is...

I am primarily self-employed. I do odd jobs here and there using websites like OnForce and Field Solutions. I have no real complaints about that. I recently accepted a project for two big name companies to do field technician work. Basically I would get X amount of calls a day(5 - 10) and would spend the day running them at 12 dollars a call. That was job 1. Job 2 is running level 1 ATM support. Clearing cash/check jams, receipt printers and the like. Really easy work and at 20 dollars a pop I can pull on average 15 calls a day JUST at night.

The problem is, my bread and butter(projects I do for companies directly) has decided to get an early start in the year and bumped my April project up to February. This will be cutting into job 1`s time. I really enjoy job 1(I have replaced so many laptop motherboards I had a dream yesterday about it) but there is no comparison when it comes to money. For example job 1 could potentially pull in 1800 for three weeks at 40/hrs a week while my projects pull in 3800 at about 30/hrs a week. I am a new father trying to get out of debt and trying to get a apartment in one of the most expensive cities in the US.

To make matters worse, the manager of job 1 calls me up an tells me what a great job I am doing and he wants to make me "the boss" in my region, give me that territory and he will take care of me by putting me on full-time if I can help him out. I have spoke with someone else that temps there(found the job through a staffing agency) and he told me they offered him full time but it was for LESS money.

Any suggestions?
[CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was you, i'd do what I had to do to get out of debt. Keep which ever combinations of jobs that provide the most pay.

When I compare your job 1 to your projects, working projects for 6-7 months out of the year is greater pay than working full time all year at job 1

Just crunch some numbers and do what you think is best for you and your family.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Thanks for the reply. After talking it over with my wife we have come to the conclusion it would be better if I dropped job 1 and continued with the projects and odd jobs plus job 2, since it runs all day/everyday(minus 5 hours). Job 1 was taking up far too much of my time for so little pay. Hopefully I can end this on a good note, I would hate to be black listed so early on in my IT career.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the reply. After talking it over with my wife we have come to the conclusion it would be better if I dropped job 1 and continued with the projects and odd jobs plus job 2, since it runs all day/everyday(minus 5 hours). Job 1 was taking up far too much of my time for so little pay. Hopefully I can end this on a good note, I would hate to be black listed so early on in my IT career.

NY, like NJ, is at will. Either side can terminate the employer/employee relationship for any reason.

All you have to do is politely give your two weeks notice and things should be fine.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    NY, like NJ, is at will. Either side can terminate the employer/employee relationship for any reason.

All you have to do is politely give your two weeks notice and things should be fine.

Unfortunately my project starts next week so the MOST notice I could give is this week. The worst(and funny) thing is I just started 2 weeks ago. So i would have given my two weeks notice while I was training in the first week.

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unfortunately my project starts next week so the MOST notice I could give is this week. The worst(and funny) thing is I just started 2 weeks ago. So i would have given my two weeks notice while I was training in the first week.

Enjoying your job and cash are the two biggest factors.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Sounds like you're making the right decision. $1800 vs $3800 kinda makes it a no brainer. Wish you the best with your situation. icon_thumright.gif
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    Well I notified my manager. He says if I finish out this week successfully, he will let me use him as a reference. I got my schedule today and I see an extra two laptop motherboards on it...This should be an interesting week.