Options

WGU and Labs

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
I need some help and this is aimed at the fellows attending(ed) Western Governors University. I've searched the sticky threads for this but couldn't get anything back.

Does WGU provide you with labs for the classes you take? Such as classes for CCNA and Microsoft. Is there rack time that you can rent for Cisco or the software to perform Microsoft Server labs?

I am wanting to apply and get my Bachelor's, but am very curious on the aspect of labs and how they are utilized at WGU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey Guys,
    I need some help and this is aimed at the fellows attending(ed) Western Governors University. I've searched the sticky threads for this but couldn't get anything back.

Does WGU provide you with labs for the classes you take? Such as classes for CCNA and Microsoft. Is there rack time that you can rent for Cisco or the software to perform Microsoft Server labs?

I am wanting to apply and get my Bachelor's, but am very curious on the aspect of labs and how they are utilized at WGU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Starting in March myself, but my understanding is any lab gear you need or software, you may want to budget for in your loans if you take any. Getting myself a poweredge 1950 for VMs for the MS tests and a pair of 1721s, a 2621XM and a pair of 2950s for my CCENT stuff. I know that Cisco gear is overkill for CCENT, but I don't plan to stop until I at least get CCNA.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I bought a server and between the scholarship and the American Opportunity Credit, it's pretty much paid for. :D

Matter of fact, I have got to give it another 8GB of RAM plus add two more HDs for VMs. When I get time.... :)
  • Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So far at WGU, I've been provided with books, simulators, and Lab sims. No physical playing and testing with live equipment.

WGU is partnered with Microsoft and VMware, so you can download operating systems and other software to use for studying.

If you want live Cisco equipment, Packet Life has a free lab rack you can schedule time for. I have not yet attempted this as I don't want to login and mess something up. Ebay is the way to go if you want to get hooked up with your own gear.
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input guys!

I'm not worried about the Cisco side, just used that as an example. I did however, submit a form for more info. about their Security degree. Anybody going down that path? It looks like it's more focused on the networking side than any other degree, plus I've always heard that security was a hotspot.

Also, what would you guys recommend for labs with the CCNA security as in hardware. Would Packet Tracer be sufficient or would getting some routers and switches be the better choice.

Thanks again!
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Thanks for the input guys!

I'm not worried about the Cisco side, just used that as an example. I did however, submit a form for more info. about their Security degree. Anybody going down that path? It looks like it's more focused on the networking side than any other degree, plus I've always heard that security was a hotspot.

Also, what would you guys recommend for labs with the CCNA security as in hardware. Would Packet Tracer be sufficient or would getting some routers and switches be the better choice.

Thanks again!

I don't know about CCNA /S but packet tracer was plenty for CCNA/CCENT. I know cisco is constantly updating packet tracer so it is probably even better than when I used it in 2009.