Options

WTH? Is this normal, or do I just have bad luck?

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
The past couple months of job hunting has resulted in 3 jobs I've pretty much gotten, but then had fall apart.

Job 1, after checking in every week or so for about a month was told they decided not to implement the position I had interviewed for. (Prior to that their responses was they were still haggling out the responsibilities of the position).

Job 2 hasn't technically fallen through YET. It's a contract gig and the contract...ee? (state govt) is apparently slow as molasses. Not too surprising if has something to do monetarily considering the state being pretty much bankrupt. Since Jan 3 (according to gmail) I've been sending weekly "any update?" with "nope, we're waiting too"-type replies.

Job 3 I'd gotten and was quite excited by. 2 hour drive and 12 hour days, but 3-on/3-off. (I'd have gotten hotel rooms for the 2 difficult days) After getting that one, the supervisor/manager couldn't get budget approval for the new hires (there were 2 openings).

In the 1st and 3rd cases, I've been pretty much told "hopefully soon we'll be able to", but I don't think I can really hold my breath there. The 2nd is (technically?) still a possibility but not a breath-holder too.

So I guess I'm just asking is this normal or what? It's frustrating getting everything ready, and getting excited to finally get my 'foot in the door' to get started only to have this happen (and again (and again)).
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bermovick wrote: »
    So I guess I'm just asking is this normal or what?
    My record is 5 contracts that will "start any day now" for a couple of months -- and then I took the contract that paid me to sit for a month and half and wait for the rest of team to be hired.

You eventually learn to not get excited about a job (or contract) until the first day happens.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I applied for 170+ jobs, had to many interviews to remember, and almost every 1st interview was followed by a second, and sometimes a 3rd. but I was only offered a couple positions and a lot of interviews that felt awesome i didnt even get a call back on.

its just what they are looking for at that time.