Options

CUCME and IP Phone PC port

GuyManDudeGuyManDude Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have got a 7962 registered to CUCME. I have a laptop connected to the PC port on the phone and I am trying to get network connectivity through it. The settings on the phone show the PC port as being enabled but the voice vlan as being disabled. I can't figure out how to change the settings without using CUCM (and I don't have a CUCM setup where I can do it anyway yet).

The phone settings I would like to change don't have the 'Select' button available to them even after hitting **# and unlocking them so I assume they are not changeable easily. Can they be controlled via CUCME?

Any pointers or docs you can offer will be much appreciated. Before I start posting configs, ill try anything you guys suggest.

BTW, even if I hard-code an ip address from the subnet that the PC should reside on, I still cant ping its default gateway. The phone appears to be blocking the PC..

TIA

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Was the phone in another (different) environment at one point? The first thing that I would do is perform a factory reset on the phone:

Kill the power to the phone.
    Hold down the “#” button, and restore power.
    Keep holding “#” until the line buttons start flashing (amber) in order.
    Release “#” and enter “123456789*0#”
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    I got it figured out. I am trying to recreate some voice labs using my own equipment and I only have a couple of Cat 3550 poe switches. I was creating a router on a stick (ya I know these switches can do L3 with SVI interfaces) config cuz I wanted to get as close as I could to the lab that uses routers with the ESW switch modules in them. Anyway, I had the trunk link plugged into a switch port that wasn't configured as a trunk. Man, I wasted a couple of hours troubleshooting that silly mistake!

When I get it fully configured and working I may create a lab that I can post here for you guys to play with. I am logically splitting each switch into two banks of ports and running router on a stick with four different routers. Each bank of ports has a voice vlan and a data vlan that are trunked to its own router etc. CME routers run DHCP with a subnet for each vlan and CUCM will have DHCP subnets for some too. Phones get their addresses from one pool and PC's connected to the phones get their addresses from another pool.

Splitting the switches like that allows me to have HQ, BR1, BR2 and the PSTN its own set of ethernet ports which makes moving phones between them a snap. Because I can leave each phone preconfigured on the CME sites and the CUCM sites, it allows me to quickly lab up stuff with differing amounts of phones on each site, without having to reconfigure the phones as they move etc.

All that work is really to save me spending more cash on additional switches or ESW's and phones...lol
  • Options
    NICE! I ran a single switch for a while - Works fine and it's easier on the wallet! (now I just have too much lab gear :P )

Post up your lab!
  • Options
    Wait, not so fast! So everything is working fine except CUCM DHCP wont hand out any addresses. A Windows DHCP server on the same subnet hands out addresses fine if I point the helper address at it instead of the CUCM.

CUCM is a VM so I can't really isolate it on its own network to troubleshoot, it has to go through the VMWare virtual switch. I don't think VMware is the prob though.

Any thoughts as to why CUCM wont hand out DHCP addresses? I know the subnets I configured on it are right and the services are working as far as I can tell. I really don't like this sorry DHCP server they have included with it, they should have included some nice DHCP management tools to make it easier to troubleshoot.

P.S I tried the 'utils csa disable' suggestion that I found in other forums but it didn't help.
  • Options
    Hmm, Make sure that the DHCP Monitor Service is active on both Pub and Subscribers (if you’re using any). Reboot all servers especially if you "suspend" them in VMWare when not in use (this may actually cause some cool DB replication errors down the road as well.)

What version of CUCM are you running? There is a bug in 7.0 where the Cisco Security Agent (built in firewall) blocks DHCP requests. You can disable CSA from the CLI on the Call managers: "utils csa disable" (then reboot).

*Edit* - I missed the PS in your post :) Any luck after a reboot?
  • Options
    I guess the key to me getting things working is posting here first. I racked my brain trying to get this to work for hours yesterday and what seemed to have been the trick is the utils csa tool.

By default the CSA is enabled so I did the 'utils csa disable' command as recommended elsewhere. Running that forces a reboot of CUCM. After it came back up it was still not working. At that point I was out of optiond to check so just for the heck of it I decided to do a 'utils csa enable'. After the reboot it started working. The CSA is enabled again and running as well as DHCP as one would expect it to!
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    Gotta love bugs.. they really teach you interesting things!