Options

Start with MCDST for my Microsoft certification track?

badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
Okay I'm still trying to figure out my certification track on the Microsoft side...

I am going for my CCNA this year, starting with CCENT then ICND2/CCNA at the very end of the year. But in between I wanted to start a couple of MS certifications..

At first I was like, ahh what the heck, I'll just go straight for the MCITP Server 2008 certification. Upon browsing some books and videos, it was overwhelming since I have no experience whatsoever with any Server OS's. Then I downgraded to 70-680 Windows 7 OS exam but even Windows 7 is rather new to me.

So now I think its best for me to start MS with what I'm most experienced at...WINDOWS XP icon_cheers.gif

I am still using WinXP Professional at home ever since it came out (I'm on the verge of building another Win7 64-bit rig). WinXP and even Office XP is still widely in use (about 90%) at my work place. So with that experience I would think MCDST will best represent my current skill set and will require the least effort while I'm still taking Cisco NetAcad classes (when its still rather easy, first module is pretty much Network+ w/ subnetting and basic cisco IOS).

Although I do enjoy learning, I am not the best exam taker in the world, so I should take baby steps. After MCDST I can then upgrade to MCITP: EDST 7 with just the 70-682 exam. Then probably do 70-686 for the MCITP: EDA 7.

I gathered that 70-682 is 70-680 & 70-685 combined. Does that mean I would get both the MCTS and MCITP: EDST 7 title? Also is it true 70-682 can act as 70-680 and go towards MCITP: EA?

Also since I'm considered a student with my Cisco Network Academy courses, I can qualify for the student offer that gives me 50% off vouchers with free second shot. Hopefully I can fit most of this by the end of June. icon_cool.gif

Any advice or thoughts would be great :D
2011 Certification Plans so far:
[Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
[MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
[Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
[CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)

Comments